• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

Hey G.A.tor,

This will be my first time asking the Gainsville Guru of Funnybooks a question so :hi: from the back of the audience...This question involves the CGC census...At the ripe age of 29 I have takin' a HUGE interest in the Golden Age and I am trying my best to be as informed as possible when making purchases as well as just rounding out my overall knowledge of the subject matter. I have recently taken a particular interest in Timely books and am in the process of acquiring a Captain America Comics #3. Without being too longwinded have you ever heard of issues with CGC not updating their census or do you think this particular issue could just be a one time blip of a copy flying under their proverbial ,"radar"?

When looking at the census it says that there has been zero copies of this particularly phenomenal issue graded at a Universal Blue Label 2.5 yet here is one that sold in 2006

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=820&lotNo=3578 hmmmm???

Another example of this same issue is that on the census it states that there has only been 1 graded at a Universal 3.0. yet I see this one...

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7021&lotNo=93158 and I see this one...

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=505915

Clearly not the same book right!!!!!!

Anyways, sorry for my first question being so long but it is important for me I feel to gather as much info as possible to make sound decisions and it looks like CGC is making this book look scarcer on their census than it possibly really is. Have you heard of this issue before or am I just :insane:? Thanks man!!

Hey G.A.tor,

This will be my first time asking the Gainsville Guru of Funnybooks a question so :hi: from the back of the audience...This question involves the CGC census...At the ripe age of 29 I have takin' a HUGE interest in the Golden Age and I am trying my best to be as informed as possible when making purchases as well as just rounding out my overall knowledge of the subject matter. I have recently taken a particular interest in Timely books and am in the process of acquiring a Captain America Comics #3. Without being too longwinded have you ever heard of issues with CGC not updating their census or do you think this particular issue could just be a one time blip of a copy flying under their proverbial ,"radar"?

When looking at the census it says that there has been zero copies of this particularly phenomenal issue graded at a Universal Blue Label 2.5 yet here is one that sold in 2006

Another example of this same issue is that on the census it states that there has only been 1 graded at a Universal 3.0. yet I see this one...

Anyways, sorry for my first question being so long but it is important for me I feel to gather as much info as possible to make sound decisions and it looks like CGC is making this book look scarcer on their census than it possibly really is. Have you heard of this issue before or am I just :insane:? Thanks man!!

hello gino...

it is actually just the opposite....cgc is constantly updating the census...many times, folks will take a book, say a 2.5, press it, and have it regraded (maybe a 3.0)...as long as they turn in the 2.5 label, cgc will remove that book from the census...since it no longer exists any more...

same with the 3.0...at one point, that first sold 3.0 was probably the only one they graded...it was likely pressed or just resubmitted, got a different grade, and the old label was provided , thus removing it from the census...then another copy (the diff) one was graded, and so the census reflects that...

Hey G.A.tor,

hello gino...

it is actually just the opposite....cgc is constantly updating the census...many times, folks will take a book, say a 2.5, press it, and have it regraded (maybe a 3.0)...as long as they turn in the 2.5 label, cgc will remove that book from the census...since it no longer exists any more...

same with the 3.0...at one point, that first sold 3.0 was probably the only one they graded...it was likely pressed or just resubmitted, got a different grade, and the old label was provided , thus removing it from the census...then another copy (the diff) one was graded, and so the census reflects that...

Ahhhhhhh, I seeeeeee!!!!! I hadn't even thought of that!!! Genius Man, Pure Genius...Thanks!!!! :applause:

Edited by gino2paulus2

So someone actually asked me to give Approx "value" to each of my top ten in 2.0 so here goes. Keep in mind I am giving a range b.c as we know not all 2.0s are created equal!

1) action 1....175-200k

2) detective 27...150-175k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

5) captain America 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

10) all American 16...15-17k

I do get the attention on AA 16, but what about Marvel 1. I totally agree with your pricing Gator; it's accurate. But how in the @#!& can the market value any books - other than action 1 and tec 27 - more than Marvel 1? Action 7 over Marvel 1, come on?? Get with it comic-lov'n people.

I don't disagree...but this list is not "cool" GA superhero books in order,or most important, etc... but today's market cap/value...and AA 16 barely cuts mustard these days... that said, I used to keep 5 copies in stock, so I fully support the book....but as ciorac will attest, just a few months ago he had a "tough" time selling his copy at very reasonable prices...the top 9 books would have NO problem selling at very reasonable prices....

aa 16 just doesn't command the collector $ like it once did...doesn't change how us old timers feel about it, but the character is barely relevant today (like spectre and sandman, etc)...

we are in a different time my friends!

Curious Rick, out of the copies you've had in stock...how many were blue label?

There are only 19 in existence and as I mentioned before, that makes it very difficult to regularly generate hype in the ways Batman #1 (for instance) has been able to do so. AA #16's situation is similar to Whiz Comics #2 in that respect, only Green Lantern is a lot more relevant today than Captain Marvel.

I know, it's Alan Scott and not Hal Jordan...but you'd be surprised how many people in my age-group know the history of Alan Scott as well as the other Lanterns who came after Hal Jordan. The popularity of the Green Lantern brand has exploded in recent years; at least, within my age group (mid-20's).

I won the All-American Comics #16 CGC slabbed front cover in ComicConnect's March auction for over 3K.

And the recent sale of a 1.0 copy with BRITTLE pages at $11,250 is probably the closest you'll ever come to buying a complete, unrestored copy for under 15K.

The next closest graded copy on the census is 2.0.

So while I do not doubt that another Green Lantern film (or the new Justice League film) would add additional hype -- making AA #16 even more appealing, there just aren't enough slabbed unrestored copies in existence to regularly see the continuous build-up of hype that many of it's contemporaries have seen.

So someone actually asked me to give Approx "value" to each of my top ten in 2.0 so here goes. Keep in mind I am giving a range b.c as we know not all 2.0s are created equal!

1) action 1....175-200k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

Hi Rick... :hi: How about this one? You can only pick one book from the above list that you feel will appreciate the most in the next 5-10 years, which one would you choose? and which book would be 'runner-up'? Ok... I guess that's a two-book pick 'em.

Edited by Moetown

1) action 1....175-200k

3) superman 1...50-70k

4) batman 1...20-25k

6) pep 22...20-25k

7) action 7...20-25k

8) detective 31...20-22k

9) marvel 1...20-22k

Hi Rick... :hi: How about this one? You can only pick one book from the above list that you feel will appreciate the most in the next 5-10 years, which one would you choose? and which book would be 'runner-up'? Ok... I guess that's a two-book pick 'em.

Action 7 and tec 31 will grow the most % wise because of their lower proce point. Bm1 and cap1 and pep22 have already more than doubled (even tripled ) in value so they are due for a slow down.

I don't disagree...but this list is not "cool" GA superhero books in order,or most important, etc... but today's market cap/value...and AA 16 barely cuts mustard these days... that said, I used to keep 5 copies in stock, so I fully support the book....but as ciorac will attest, just a few months ago he had a "tough" time selling his copy at very reasonable prices...the top 9 books would have NO problem selling at very reasonable prices....

aa 16 just doesn't command the collector $ like it once did...doesn't change how us old timers feel about it, but the character is barely relevant today (like spectre and sandman, etc)...

There are only 19 in existence and as I mentioned before, that makes it very difficult to regularly generate hype in the ways Batman #1 (for instance) has been able to do so. AA #16's situation is similar to Whiz Comics #2 in that respect, only Green Lantern is a lot more relevant today than Captain Marvel.

I know, it's Alan Scott and not Hal Jordan...but you'd be surprised how many people in my age-group know the history of Alan Scott as well as the other Lanterns who came after Hal Jordan. The popularity of the Green Lantern brand has exploded in recent years; at least, within my age group (mid-20's).

I won the All-American Comics #16 CGC slabbed front cover in ComicConnect's March auction for over 3K.

And the recent sale of a 1.0 copy with BRITTLE pages at $11,250 is probably the closest you'll ever come to buying a complete, unrestored copy for under 15K.

So while I do not doubt that another Green Lantern film (or the new Justice League film) would add additional hype -- making AA #16 even more appealing, there just aren't enough slabbed unrestored copies in existence to regularly see the continuous build-up of hype that many of it's contemporaries have seen.

what you are missing is there are plenty of raw unrestored copies out there that more than meet demand at price point X. There are also several fr/gd copies that can be had for under 10k and have traded hands multiple times. Don't be blinded by limited information at your disposal (thumbs u

You also can't keep referencing a single sale as indicative of the market. It is both naive and erroneous for this book :sorry:

what you are missing is there are plenty of raw unrestored copies out there that more than meet demand at price point X. There are also several fr/gd copies that can be had for under 10k and have traded hands multiple times. Don't be blinded by limited information at your disposal (thumbs u

You also can't keep referencing a single sale as indicative of the market. It is both naive and erroneous for this book :sorry:

I don't know if I'd go as far as to state the latest sales reference as erroneous (meaning: "wrong; incorrect").

I'm not saying that one sale establishes a market value completely, I'm just saying that I can only reference the official sales that I know about. The sale of the 1.0 with brittle pages is the most recent of said sales.

If there are (and I'm not saying you're wrong here) several 1.5 unrestored raw copies available for under 10K, the sellers would have been wise to have had them slabbed.

There's a premium paid for unrestored books so leaving them raw and selling them raw opens the door to possible missed restoration, subjectivity in grade (though this is still true with CGC) -- my point being that for a Top-10 book value wise, half points and full points in grade difference do have a considerable effect on value.

Technically There is no premium paid for unrestored. Fmv is paid for unrestored with a discount (most times) for restored or qualified.

There is only 1 cgc 1.0 on census but I sold a cgc 1.0 with sb pages last year for 7k. Buyer opted to restore the book (Matt sent in label to have removed from census)

Given that I have sold a raw fr/gd at less than 10k I can confirm the existence regardless of what anyone out there believes and I know of several other lower grade fortressed housed unrestored copies. The appeal of aa16 is generally not to this group of 20somethings you reference, but to "old school" collectors (regardless of age) and many don't value or care about cgcing a book

As mentioned as many of these collectors age and part with their collections we will see more aa16, mf52, adv40, etc hit the market and my guess is the market will absorb the copies but not at any premium to today's pricing.

Technically There is no premium paid for unrestored. Fmv is paid for unrestored with a discount (most times) for restored or qualified.

There is only 1 cgc 1.0 on census but I sold a cgc 1.0 with sb pages last year for 7k. Buyer opted to restore the book (Matt sent in label to have removed from census)

Given that I have sold a raw fr/gd at less than 10k I can confirm the existence regardless of what anyone out there believes and I know of several other lower grade fortressed housed unrestored copies. The appeal of aa16 is generally not to this group of 20somethings you reference, but to "old school" collectors (regardless of age) and many don't value or care about cgcing a book

As mentioned as many of these collectors age and part with their collections we will see more aa16, mf52, adv40, etc hit the market and my guess is the market will absorb the copies but not at any premium to today's pricing.

Premium paid for unrestored vs. discount given for PLOD results in essentially the same point I was making: blue labels will sell for much more than their purple label counterparts.

Raw copies leave the door open to missed restoration and (at times) some uncertainty grade-wise. On five-figure books, the difference between half grade points can have a financial impact.

Notice we almost never see raw, unrestored copies of mega-key books come through the major auction houses. In relation to their value, it's not that difficult to slab a book and guarantee its being unrestored.

My comments were in response to the last public sale of slabbed example (which sold well above the better-graded raw copies you've referenced).

This thread has officially been resurected :) good stuff

And yah, AA16 is still a cool book and character (GL) but the Internet and Hollywood has made the three big GA heroes (Supe, Bat, Cap) as the standout characters. New collectors are helping to drive the market of all supe-bat-cap keys and related titles. Old school collectors (I'm in the middle) are left holding the bag and wondering why Ad 40s, AA16, MF52, and Marvel 1/9 are hitting all time FMV lows. Flip side, these keys will be had for bargain prices today and foreseeable future...marvel mystery 9 is at $1700-$1800 a point low grade---I would never thought so as its been a big ticket, mutiple guide/high demand book for years.

And yah, AA16 is still a cool book and character (GL) but the Internet and Hollywood has made the three big GA heroes (Supe, Bat, Cap) as the standout characters. New collectors are helping to drive the market of all supe-bat-cap keys and related titles. Old school collectors (I'm in the middle) are left holding the bag and wondering why Ad 40s, AA16, MF52, and Marvel 1/9 are hitting all time FMV lows. Flip side, these keys will be had for bargain prices today and foreseeable future...marvel mystery 9 is at $1700-$1800 a point low grade---I would never thought so as its been a big ticket, mutiple guide/high demand book for years.

Problem I have with some of these Golden Age comics DC in particular like All American Comics 16 even though it is the origin of Green Lantern its not the Green Lantern the majority of us grown up with. I would take a Showcase 22 over an AAC16 any day for that reason Hal Jordan's first appearance means more to me and alot of the younger crowd would agree. Which is why Supes, Bat, Caps comics have kept their value it has been for the most part the same character for years playing them. Outside of those three even Wonder Woman has taken a hit some from the Golden Age.

Problem I have with some of these Golden Age comics DC in particular like All American Comics 16 even though it is the origin of Green Lantern its not the Green Lantern the majority of us grown up with. I would take a Showcase 22 over an AAC16 any day for that reason Hal Jordan's first appearance means more to me and alot of the younger crowd would agree. Which is why Supes, Bat, Caps comics have kept their value it has been for the most part the same character for years playing them. Outside of those three even Wonder Woman has taken a hit some from the Golden Age.

very good point. Whatever we can relate to gets our vote. Just depends how hardcore a GA collector one is. Most of us GAers can't relate to the 1940 GL anyways...super friends in the 1970s did it for me lol and exactly why 60s marvel characters resinate today in Hollywood and today's crowd (old and young)---haven't changed much in 50 years.

Gator you have the chance to get a comic legend to sign a book its only their third convention in the 40 plus years in the business. Since it is a small convention in which only 1,000 attendees show up CGC will not be there. Do you get the legend to sign the comic you want signed?

Gator you have the chance to get a comic legend to sign a book its only their third convention in the 40 plus years in the business. Since it is a small convention in which only 1,000 attendees show up CGC will not be there. Do you get the legend to sign the comic you want signed?
if it is something you want signed of course...really shouldn't matter if cgc is there of not. If you are worried about value/perceived legitamacy then document with photo of signing!

Premium paid for unrestored vs. discount given for PLOD results in essentially the same point I was making: blue labels will sell for much more than their purple label counterparts.

Raw copies leave the door open to missed restoration and (at times) some uncertainty grade-wise. On five-figure books, the difference between half grade points can have a financial impact.

Notice we almost never see raw, unrestored copies of mega-key books come through the major auction houses. In relation to their value, it's not that difficult to slab a book and guarantee its being unrestored.

My comments were in response to the last public sale of slabbed example (which sold well above the better-graded raw copies you've referenced).

on low grade aa16 we have seen Several plods sell for approximately what one would pay for a blue label in that grade (3 diff clink sales). So not so sure on low grade there is huge premium generally paid. All low grade aa16s (plod or unrestored) seem to sell in the same general range from my experience (7-10k give or take an Exception here or there). The book is still "rare" but just doesn't command great demand these days (and unlikely that will change seems to be the majority opinion)

on low grade aa16 we have seen Several plods sell for approximately what one would pay for a blue label in that grade (3 diff clink sales). So not so sure on low grade there is huge premium generally paid. All low grade aa16s (plod or unrestored) seem to sell in the same general range from my experience (7-10k give or take an Exception here or there). The book is still "rare" but just doesn't command great demand these days (and unlikely that will change seems to be the majority opinion)

You can't say that PLODs are selling for blue label prices when we don't have blue label sales examples in the present to compare them to.

There has been only one recent sale of a blue label and it sold well above the PLOD prices you're referencing. Which makes sense, blue labels do sell for more than PLODs.

You can't say that PLODs are selling for blue label prices when we don't have blue label sales examples in the present to compare them to.

There has been only one recent sale of a blue label and it sold well above the PLOD prices you're referencing. Which makes sense, blue labels do sell for more than PLODs.

I said unrestored not blue label, and I have record of 3 sales where a blue label did sell for same as a plod (clink sales and one of my own within last year) so that statement holds true as well. And I am done with this line of "debate" ...Ive said all i can say and i can't present my case any clearer with regards to aa16 so onto the next "ask gator" question :headbang:

I like bargains. I'm looking forward to buying Adventure 40, Marvel 1, All American 16 and More Fun again over be next couple of years. I'll enjoy owning them more with a smaller amount of money invested in them