• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ask Gator
13 13

7,544 posts in this topic

GAtor, I am curious what you think are the 5 top Hitler covers on the market today? Not necessarily your favourites but the ones that seem to be selling the best and/or most sought after.

wonderful question...

the 5 I have the most demand for are:

Captain america 1

Great 3

MMC 46 (green worm ear)

Real Life 3

Daredevil Battles Hitler

again, those are not my 5 fav or even the 5 "best" , but those are the 5 comics I am most asked for at shows, etc, that feature hitler on cover

Gator,

Where does Mystic 7 and 9 fall in the Hitler cover demand in you opinion? Also, what's your take on the Destroyer Mystic covers from an investment perspective? hm

Edited by 86Celtics

GAtor, I am curious what you think are the 5 top Hitler covers on the market today? Not necessarily your favourites but the ones that seem to be selling the best and/or most sought after.

wonderful question...

Captain america 1

Great 3

MMC 46 (green worm ear)

Real Life 3

Daredevil Battles Hitler

again, those are not my 5 fav or even the 5 "best" , but those are the 5 comics I am most asked for at shows, etc, that feature hitler on cover

Gator,

Where does Mystic 7 and 9 fall in the Hitler cover demand in you opinion? Also, what's your take on the Destroyer Mystic covers from an investment perspective? hm

86celtics, are you on you tube under the same handle making all those cool videos of your books? :)

wonderful question...

Captain america 1

Great 3

MMC 46 (green worm ear)

Real Life 3

Daredevil Battles Hitler

Gator,

86celtics, are you on you tube under the same handle making all those cool videos of your books? :)

Yes.

wonderful question...

Captain america 1

Great 3

MMC 46 (green worm ear)

Real Life 3

Daredevil Battles Hitler

Gator,

There is quite a bit of demand. They are great covers. And they have always sold "strong". No reason form them to drop in price as there is always demand but not sure they will appreciate at same rate as more popular superhero issues. But they are fun to collect and own!

I haven't looked that closely but my guess is 4-10 would very closely mirror the 2.0 4-10

But I will give it some thought shortly.

I've done a bit of research on this topic.

Clearly, Action #1, Tec #27 and Superman #1 secure the Top-3 spots.

Since the Superman #1 CGC 8.0 is the highest slabbed example in existence, I could see it breaking the $1,000,000 mark. This was discussed years ago after the Kansas copy (CGC 8.0) of Action #1 sold for a million dollars.

I think #4-9 would look like this (just superhero books):

4) All-American Comics #16

5) Action Comics #7

6) Batman #1

7) Captain America Comics #1

8) Marvel Comics #1

9) Detective Comics #31

---------------

Sales figures to substantiate my point...

All-American Comics #16 CGC 8.0 (Billy Wright Pedigree):

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=91036

Marvel Comics #1 CGC 7.5 (Billy Wright Pedigree):

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7054&lotNo=91126

Both copies sport "OFF-WHITE to WHITE" pages and present similarly.

Cap #1 in CGC 7.0:

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7063&lotNo=93305

Batman #1 in CGC 8.0 with OFF-WHITE to WHITE pages:

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=439804

Prices realized:

All-American Comics #16 CGC 8.0: $300,000.

Batman #1 CGC 8.0: $175,365.

Marvel Comics #1 CGC 7.5: $113,525.

Captain America Comics #1 CGC 7.0: $89,625.

---------------

The Billy Wright copy of All-American Comics #16 (CGC 8.0, second highest graded copy on the census under the 9.4 Mile High copy) broke the world record for highest realized sales price for any 8.0 book outside of the Top-3 I mentioned earlier.

The 8.0 copy of Action Comics #7 turned heads back in 2008 when it brought it $143,400. The rarity of the two aforementioned books puts them on a different level than books like Batman #1 and Cap #1 that may sell for more in the lower grades.

This was illustrated by seeing the 8.0 All-American #16 sell for $124,635 more than an 8.0 Batman #1 in equal condition across the board, including PQ.

You could add the sales of the Batman #1 CGC 8.0 and Marvel Comics #1 CGC 7.5 and they wouldn't equal the total realized for the incredibly rare All-American #16.

$288,890 (Batman #1 & Marvel #1) vs. $300,000 (All-American #16).

It should come as no surprise why All-American #16 finally moved past Marvel #1 to claim the No. 4 spot in the price-guide last year.

Edited by Wayne-Tec

Sales data for key high grade books needs to be used with caution.

As important as grade is, where there is rarity such as is the case with GA keys one needs to take into account ranking of book with regards to known books in existence and availability.

The Superman #1 prices higher than the Batman #1 at 8.0 level because the Bat #1 is a much more common book in that grade and ranks much lower in known copies in existence (graded and raw) compared to the Superman #1. As such there is a premium on the Superman #1.

The All American #16 benefits from the same premium as lack of known high grade copies makes the 8.0 a highly ranked copy (2nd best copy?).

The 2nd best known copy of Batman #1 would be worth considerably more than the All American #16 8.0.

May be the same for many of the others currently below the All Americawn #16 in your listing eg Cap #1

If the second highest slabbed Batman #1 is a 9.0, naturally a 9.0 is going to bring in more than an 8.0. Especially when we are talking higher graded books, there is considerable desirability that increases with each half-grade bump.

Rarity is, as you said, a very important factor in determining value. It adds a great deal of appeal to a book when it's incredibly hard to track down unrestored, especially in high grade. It's one of the reasons GA books are more valuable/desirable than many newer books. There's that intrigue there.

All-American #16's rarity changes the ball game and makes those few higher graded copies in existence that much more valuable than their more common counterparts.

I can tell you beschara has turned down way more than one million for the 8.0 (mile high superman 1). Last he told me it would take "a lot more" to get him to sell

So my reconsidered guess is in 8.0 superman is #1, followed by action and detective

I can tell you beschara has turned down way more than one million for the 8.0 (mile high superman 1). Last he told me it would take "a lot more" to get him to sell

So my reconsidered guess is in 8.0 superman is #1, followed by action and detective

Maybe you're saying this tongue-in-cheek but the price it would take to sell does not equal the value of these books. The values of these books doesn't change the rank order, but the amount it would take the sellers to sell might. And then good luck to the buyers if they buy at the prices it takes to acquire these gems to ever get that value back if they ever needed to sell.

On a unique book like the mile high supes 1 where a more than one million dollar offer has been refused by the owner more than once (2 diff 1mill + offers I am aware of) I would equate that to relative FMv

Now if another 8.0 supes 1 hit the auction block I would guesstimate a bid in the 750k range to win it. That would keep supes 1 firmly entrenched at 3 :)

On a unique book like the mile high supes 1 where a more than one million dollar offer has been refused by the owner more than once (2 diff 1mill + offers I am aware of) I would equate that to relative FMv

Now if another 8.0 supes 1 hit the auction block I would guesstimate a bid in the 750k range to win it. That would keep supes 1 firmly entrenched at 3 :)

I love that you put the 8.0 Superman #1 in the No. 1 spot. :headbang:

I agree with Rick also regarding the FMV of that Superman #1.

Lets see your Top-10 list revealed for Universal 8.0. :popcorn:

Recently a batman 1 cgc 8.0 sold for 200k which is pretty much what the aa16 cgc 8.0 sold for (most folks know the 300k resell was not a "real" sale for reasons discussed previously )

I also firmly believe the action 7 cgc8.0 would sell for more than 250k and I know a 250 k offer was made to Eric Roberts on his 8.0 Tec 31, but not sure if that price would be validated at an auction.

Cap 1 today is nipping on marvel 1 8.0 heels...but only by a hair at auction ..but I could see marvel 1 on lower side too. So I will go "tie"

4-action 7

5-batman 1

6-detective 31

7-all American 16

8- captain America 1/marvel 1

10-whiz 2 (1). Just bc. Like aa16, rarity will offset lack of strong demand (although if we are to use past sales of lower copies, this one could be as high as 4/5)

Why do you feel the 300K sale not to be real?

Herirage's website says it's real.

Any why rank Batman #1 two spot higher when an 8.0 sold for less than AA #16's sale prior to the 300K re-sale?

It is not just me that "knows"/is of the opinion the aa16 resell is not "real", many do. But it is not for me to publicly expand on.

I believe both batman 1 and Tec 31 would perform better today at auction than an aa16 (and maybe whiz 2 too) and I believe both could be privately sold for more (thumbs u

Any why rank Batman #1 two spot higher when an 8.0 sold for less than AA #16's sale prior to the 300K re-sale?

It is not just me that "knows"/is of the opinion the aa16 resell is not "real", many do. But it is not for me to publicly expand on.

I believe both batman 1 and Tec 31 would perform better today at auction than an aa16 (and maybe whiz 2 too) and I believe both could be privately sold for more (thumbs u

Can someone link past discussion on this?

Can someone link past discussion on this?

not sure there is a link which is why I didn't expand

I think there have been more than 2 offers...