• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

lol why another pressing thread? I know this question has been asked before. FT says he started a new poll for the noobs, have you ever heard of search hm Pressing threads are alot like Alley bat, they keep coming back!!

We <3 Pressing Threads.

And you really shouldn't even use Nick's good name in the same paragraph as He_Who_Shall_Not_Be_Named. (tsk)

Its not a attack against Nick, its against another pressing thread. He_Who_Shall_Not_Be_Named and pressing threads are like a bad hemorrhoid, they keep coming back and cause problems.

lol why another pressing thread? I know this question has been asked before. FT says he started a new poll for the noobs, have you ever heard of search hm Pressing threads are alot like Alley bat, they keep coming back!!

We <3 Pressing Threads.

And you really shouldn't even use Nick's good name in the same paragraph as He_Who_Shall_Not_Be_Named. (tsk)

Its not a attack against Nick, its against another pressing thread. He_Who_Shall_Not_Be_Named and pressing threads are like a bad hemorrhoid, they keep coming back and cause problems.

This thread/poll is different from all others as it asking the simple question whether we should expect...maybe even insist...on full pro-active disclosure in this community.

It really is that simple.

We <3 Pressing Threads.

This thread/poll is different from all others as it asking the simple question whether we should expect...maybe even insist...on full pro-active disclosure in this community.

pressing poll

If you see, it ask the same question you did. So why start a new one when you could of bumped it one the noobs

What do you think we are? ing monkeys? You think we should only be fed information that we can handle by the sophisticated, educated pressers? You think we the buyers might jump to conclusions that are incorrect, so you the seller must protect us from ourselves?

No, I don't think anyone is a ing monkey. You are now clearly illustrating the difference between the forum buying crowd and the general public, and that is why you were pushing for proactive disclosure on the forum.

Roy, you already said that there are only two useful, unequivocal pieces of information that a seller could give to a buyer, which are (1) and (2) on Nick's list above.

So why would you now say that only option (1) is relevant and useful?

In theory, if a seller wants to disclose all of the facts, they only need to state (1) or (2). If they haven't stated (1) or (2), then it implies (4). That is, of course, if you know the seller is someone who will consistently disclose (1) or (2).

But I see now that a seller's opinion (option 3 above) can also be useful, provided you know and trust the seller's knowledge and opinion.

Well, for one this thread was started simply to provide proactive disclosure on this forum. Now we are moving into discussing things that are not on this forum like eBay.

Honestly guys, just assume any big dollar book or really high grade vintage book is pressed. That's what I do.

Anyhow, I have to head out to the show and hang with a few Brits, US Southerners and the odd Canadian. I'm sure this thread will be on page 4 by tonite.

lol

As for the argument that people who don't want pressed books 'already own pressed books and are extremely likely to buy more, so why bother'... doh!

We know that...we're not quite that dumb. However, we'd like to cut down the chances. It's an utterly defeatist attitude...you can't get rid of the problem, so why bother even attempting to mitigate it?...and again, it's down to the consumer whether they adopt it or not.

But it can only be down to the consumer, rather than the seller, if all known information is offered.

I never said "why bother." I asked what the utility of the disclosure was.

Let's say one day you're rumaging through a sales thread on these boards and you see ten high grade slabbed books that you'd like to buy... HOWEVER, the seller has disclosed that some of them have been pressed and so you pass. You're kind of bummed that you had to pass but you feel good that you haven't purchased pressed books. A week later you buy ten high grade slabs from a very exciting Clink auction -- half of them (if not more) are probably pressed... Clink won't tell you and/or nobody actually knows... but it's a near guarantee that there are pressed books in that group (perhaps even all of them -- God knows it does seem like that's where we're heading).

What has been accomplished by the original disclosure (besides notifying pressers that there probably aren't good pressing candidates in that original sales thread)? That's what I'm questioning... not arguing right or wrong... just trying to bring the reality of the market into the discusion.

We <3 Pressing Threads.

pressing poll

If you see, it ask the same question you did. So why start a new one when you could of bumped it one the noobs

Er...because that isn't dealing specifically with the etiquette of the forum Marketplace.

As for the argument that people who don't want pressed books 'already own pressed books and are extremely likely to buy more, so why bother'... doh!

We know that...we're not quite that dumb. However, we'd like to cut down the chances. It's an utterly defeatist attitude...you can't get rid of the problem, so why bother even attempting to mitigate it?...and again, it's down to the consumer whether they adopt it or not.

But it can only be down to the consumer, rather than the seller, if all known information is offered.

I never said "why bother." I asked what the utility of the disclosure was.

Let's say one day you're rumaging through a sales thread on these boards and you see ten high grade slabbed books that you'd like to buy... HOWEVER, the seller has disclosed that some of them have been pressed and so you pass. You're kind of bummed that you had to pass but you feel good that you haven't purchased pressed books. A week later you buy ten high grade slabs from a very exciting Clink auction -- half of them (if not more) are probably pressed... Clink won't tell you and/or nobody actually knows... but it's a near guarantee that there are pressed books in that group (perhaps even all of them -- God knows it does seem like that's where we're heading).

What has been accomplished by the original disclosure (besides notifying pressers that there probably aren't good pressing candidates in that original sales thread)? That's what I'm questioning... not arguing right or wrong... just trying to bring the reality of the market into the discusion.

As I said, we're not actually that dumb...we get it. :/

FYI, I won't buy from CLink and never will...this being one of many reasons. (thumbs u

I love these threads by the way. Gives me alot of insight as to who I should and should not deal with. And I dont mind owning pressed books. But not being upfront with me? Makes me wonder what else they may not be telling me.

I could not possibly agree with this more. (worship)

I love these threads by the way. Gives me alot of insight as to who I should and should not deal with. And I dont mind owning pressed books. But not being upfront with me? Makes me wonder what else they may not be telling me.

This is nothing new. What never ceases to amaze me is the shared reasons/excuses.

This is nothing new. What never ceases to amaze me is the shared reasons/excuses.

I would only really accept. "Because I may lose buyers, and/or money"

Such as?

Such as?

They probably also wouldn't hesitate to look at their slabs while on the toilet, nor are they likely to disclose it so that the books can be flagged for disposal. :sick::gossip:

Such as?

Are you fishing for somebody to finally snap and declare that 'all non-disclosers are slime balls' so that we can then have yet another thread derailed with name-calling?

Not going to happen, certainly not from me.

Such as?

They probably also wouldn't hesitate to look at their slabs while on the toilet, nor are they likely to disclose it so that the books can be flagged for disposal. :sick::gossip:

Costanza'd

Nick, it's a matter of picking battles.

I don't disagree with the "rightness" of anything that you're saying, but I also don't believe in getting into battles I can't possibly win, unless we're talking about something that concerns the well-being of myself or my inner circle. Pressing just isn't all that serious.

To put it another way: the anti-pressing crowd has thinned over the years. It seems as though many subscribe to the notion that if you can't beat 'em, you might as well join them, and that's why pressing everything in sight, perhaps even multiple times, seems to now be the norm. At this point, even mitigation is a pipe dream.

Nick, it's a matter of picking battles.

I don't disagree with the "rightness" of anything that you're saying, but I also don't believe in getting into battles I can't possibly win, unless we're talking about something that concerns the well-being of myself or my inner circle. Pressing just isn't all that serious.

To put it another way: the anti-pressing crowd has thinned over the years. It seems as though many subscribe to the notion that if you can't beat 'em, you might as well join them, and that's why pressing everything in sight, perhaps even multiple times, seems to now be the norm. At this point, even mitigation is a pipe dream.

To an extent I believe you, AK.

But throw this into the mix...

This poll has the highest response rate...by a huge margin...than any previous.

This poll has the highest majority in favour of pro-active disclosure than any previous.

The 'battle' here is limited to this community and it's about this community...how honest and open should we be with our neighbours?

I personally think that it's a 'battle' worth fighting. (shrug)

As adamant as I am about the fact that people should ask, I can find no logical reason why everyone selling in this marketplace shouldn't disclose. It is a huge deal here, so just do it. Although i am loath to say it, sometimes the will of the individual must submit to the will of the community. (I expect to have that jammed where the sun don't shine many times in the future.)

As adamant as I am about the fact that people should ask, I can find no logical reason why everyone selling in this marketplace shouldn't disclose. It is a huge deal here, so just do it. Although i am loath to say it, sometimes the will of the individual must submit to the will of the community. (I expect to have that jammed where the sun don't shine many times in the future.)

But will you enjoy it, thats the big question!

But will you enjoy it, thats the big question!

That will depend upon the delivery.