• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Disclosure - Yes Or No?

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?  

831 members have voted

1. 1. Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

1,107 posts in this topic

Something I never see discussed on the Boards is the damage that can occur from pressing. Popped staples, staple tears, burn marks, etc. It happens.

Yes it does. Every time a book goes in a press, it's at risk. It's at even greater risk when it is being pressed by an untrained, relatively inexperienced weekend warrior. Hooks' 'Waffle Pedigree' springs to mind. doh!

I still think in the long term, pressing is going to hurt the hobby. Conservation, or restoration, it has altered the book in a un-natural and significant way. It should be disclosed.

Which element of pressing is at all unnatural? It's the fact that the elements of pressing ARE natural that leads to CGC being unable to detect it being done.

You mean like gravity? Or some other backwards theory that my comics are sitting next to me an little gremlins are pressing them and spraying them with water. Comments like this are just trying to derail an otherwise decent conversation.

Something I never see discussed on the Boards is the damage that can occur from pressing. Popped staples, staple tears, burn marks, etc. It happens.

Yes it does. Every time a book goes in a press, it's at risk. It's at even greater risk when it is being pressed by an untrained, relatively inexperienced weekend warrior. Hooks' 'Waffle Pedigree' springs to mind. doh!

Such a pretty little diamond pattern . . .

Maybe one day there will be the means (that we can't even conceive of right now) of identifying which books have gone through an unnatural process and which haven't.

Processes leave trace patterns. I could break my arm by falling, or I could break it in a vice, but a vice would leave a different breakage pattern in the bones. Pressing leaves patterns in the comics which you can absolutely detect. The problem is that the pressing process is close enough to natural that I've never seen a remnant of pressing that couldn't have been caused by something other than pressing given that pressure, moderate humidity, and moderate heat are present in the world around us.

I've put a non-trivial amount of time into ways to detect 150 degree temperatures having been applied to a book and condensation levels of humidity...and every time I think about the patterns left...I'm baffled as soon as I think of an easily natural way those same conditions could have occurred. :frustrated:

Something I never see discussed on the Boards is the damage that can occur from pressing done poorly. . Popped staples, staple tears, burn marks, etc. It happens.

:whistle:

Correct.

However, even the very best pressers can have accidents. The point is, there's more risk having your book pressed than if you don't.

Something I never see discussed on the Boards is the damage that can occur from pressing done poorly. . Popped staples, staple tears, burn marks, etc. It happens.

Correct.

However, even the very best pressers can have accidents. The point is, there's more risk having your book pressed than if you don't.

That is a given. Finally, we can agree on one thing today. :hi:

Maybe one day there will be the means (that we can't even conceive of right now) of identifying which books have gone through an unnatural process and which haven't.

Processes leave trace patterns. I could break my arm by falling, or I could break it in a vice, but a vice would leave a different breakage pattern in the bones. Pressing leaves patterns in the comics which you can absolutely detect. The problem is that the pressing process is close enough to natural that I've never seen a remnant of pressing that couldn't have been caused by something other than pressing given that pressure, moderate humidity, and moderate heat are present in the world around us.

I've put a non-trivial amount of time into ways to detect 150 degree temperatures having been applied to a book and condensation levels of humidity...and every time I think about the patterns left...I'm baffled as soon as I think of an easily natural way those same conditions could have occurred. :frustrated:

Note to James...take off the Magneto helmet, and go hang out with a chick. :baiting:

Correct.

That is a given. Finally, we can agree on one thing today. :hi:

Huzzah! :banana:

Note to James...take off the Magneto helmet, and go hang out with a chick. :baiting:

I'm putting one off right now in favor of chatting it up here with you. :foryou:

What a lucky girl :baiting:

First off, I have never sold a comic on Ebay. But if I did, I would not put a pressing disclosure in an Ebay listing. I would tell anyone that asks me about the book everything I knew about the book.

And I'm the one that gets the "kick me I'm superior" sign taped on my back. doh!

How does that indicate that I believe myself superior to anyone? The main thing that I differ from some people on is that I believe people should ask about things that concern them and not always rely upon the generosity of strangers. I emphatically believe that one should responsibly seek out information that is important to one before making this type of purchase.

I have decided to affirmatively disclose when selling here because it is so important to so many here. I wouldn't on Ebay (which, let us recall, is a hypothetical for me) because I have never heard anyone, anywhere speak about pressing except here. And, as always, if someone asked me about it, I would give them all of the information that I had.

It's an assumption on your part to believe that people outside of this community don't know about pressing. I have personally fielded questions/inquiries on eBay auctions about pressing, so there are definitely people in the loop outside of the boards.

That is not an assumption that I have made. I said I have never heard anyone speak of pressing except here.

I've seen the use of logos/badges on auction descriptions for those that can't find the right words to convey the practice, and that works well to: a) divert any people who frown upon the practice; b) educate anyone by way of inquiry.

Do you have a link to an Ebay auction with a pressing disclosure badge that I could check out?

What's next? Store owners not bothering to disclose in their shops, at conventions, or their online stores because they're customers don't know about pressing, and have never voted in a CGC thread?

That wouldn't bother me. People should ask if they want to know. What concerns me a lot more is whether the answers that they get would be honest.

I have used the professionally pressed logo I posted earlier in past ebay auctions.

I'm putting one off right now in favor of chatting it up here with you. :foryou:

She would agree with you. :baiting:

First off, I have never sold a comic on Ebay. But if I did, I would not put a pressing disclosure in an Ebay listing. I would tell anyone that asks me about the book everything I knew about the book.

And I'm the one that gets the "kick me I'm superior" sign taped on my back. doh!

How does that indicate that I believe myself superior to anyone? The main thing that I differ from some people on is that I believe people should ask about things that concern them and not always rely upon the generosity of strangers. I emphatically believe that one should responsibly seek out information that is important to one before making this type of purchase.

I have decided to affirmatively disclose when selling here because it is so important to so many here. I wouldn't on Ebay (which, let us recall, is a hypothetical for me) because I have never heard anyone, anywhere speak about pressing except here. And, as always, if someone asked me about it, I would give them all of the information that I had.

It's an assumption on your part to believe that people outside of this community don't know about pressing. I have personally fielded questions/inquiries on eBay auctions about pressing, so there are definitely people in the loop outside of the boards.

That is not an assumption that I have made. I said I have never heard anyone speak of pressing except here.

I've seen the use of logos/badges on auction descriptions for those that can't find the right words to convey the practice, and that works well to: a) divert any people who frown upon the practice; b) educate anyone by way of inquiry.

Do you have a link to an Ebay auction with a pressing disclosure badge that I could check out?

What's next? Store owners not bothering to disclose in their shops, at conventions, or their online stores because they're customers don't know about pressing, and have never voted in a CGC thread?

That wouldn't bother me. People should ask if they want to know. What concerns me a lot more is whether the answers that they get would be honest.

I have used the professionally pressed logo I posted earlier in past ebay auctions.

Actually, the one comicdonna suggested a few pages back is the one I've seen used on a few eBay auctions - IIRC Brent (Qualitycomix) uses the same logo:

professionallypressedlogo.jpg

She would agree with you. :baiting:

Is English her first language?

Actually, the one comicdonna suggested a few pages back is the one I've seen used on a few eBay auctions - IIRC Brent (Qualitycomix) uses the same logo:

professionallypressedlogo.jpg

Brent probably got it from Marnin. He uses it on his site as well. (thumbs u

As far as detection of pressing is concerned, I believe that we may already have the instrumentation to do it. The difficulty would be interpreting the results in a definitive way.

As far as I know, silica isn't introduced anywhere, from the time a book is printed off the press, to the time it is stored in a box, bag and/or backing. The only time silica would otherwise be introduced is when a comic is pressed. There is no doubt that the transfer of silica on a comic book cover (front/rear/inside covers) would leave residue.

A VOC meter would likely pick-up silica, however as you start to move towards more sensitive meters (some measure parts per billion), it would be difficult to isolate the compound that is triggering a reading or alarm.

Detection instruments aren't cheap, but my feeling is that there are technologies and techniques available to do the detection, in a reliable and accurate way. The question remains whether a new entrant in the comic grading scene could change the bill of goods the community has been sold on detection constraints.

As inconceivable as it may seem for any player to compete in a market CGC has built from the ground floor, I still think that something as simple as including pressing detection in the grading mix would be a game changer.

As far as detection of pressing is concerned, I believe that we may already have the instrumentation to do it. The difficulty would be interpreting the results in a definitive way.

As far as I know, silica isn't introduced anywhere, from the time a book is printed off the press, to the time it is stored in a box, bag and/or backing. The only time silica would otherwise be introduced is when a comic is pressed. There is no doubt that the transfer of silica on a comic book cover (front/rear/inside covers) would leave residue.

A VOC meter would likely pick-up silica, however as you start to move towards more sensitive meters (some measure parts per billion), it would be difficult to isolate the compound that is triggering a reading or alarm.

Detection instruments aren't cheap, but my feeling is that there are technologies and techniques available to do the detection, in a reliable and accurate way. The question remains whether a new entrant in the comic grading scene could change the bill of goods the community has been sold on detection constraints.

As inconceivable as it may seem for any player to compete in a market CGC has built from the ground floor, I still think that something as simple as including pressing detection in the grading mix would be a game changer.

Absolutely. Instead of approaching it as problematic, they would need to heavily push it as their USP.

And being able to push their books as '100% virgin' would be a game-changer.