• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pedigree Cover Marking?

13 posts in this topic

I'm looking at purchasing a GA book with a pretty distinctive cover marking, and I'm wondering if it belongs to a pedigree (the book is slabbed with no pedigree distinction). I've been through Matt Nelson's website and didn't see one that looked close.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this (let me know if it's not and I can move it), but I was wondering if anyone recognized it. Thanks in advance for your help!

mysterycovermarking.jpg

The 12 - 15 simply means the 12th book of a count of 15. This is often seen on books from a newstand. I don't think it indicates pedigree.

I figured that was the case (either that or a date).

What about the "L"?

The pic was a little small and blurry but you are correct, that 'L' looks familiar.

I think that is a Cape Cod copy ? Not a CGC recognized pedigree but it should be on Ritter's site.

Sorry, Cape Cod has an 'ND'. Maybe the 'L' is Larsen ?

CAPE COD

This collection is one that was likely broken up and sold too quickly to be given recognition in the comic market as a pedigree. Acquired in 1997 by dealer Rick Semowich, the books came from the original owner in Cape Cod, MA who was looking for the best price he could get for the entire collection. Rick was the winner.

The collection contained 889 comics from 1945 to 1950 with many different genres (though the primary were superhero and crime). Most titles had spotty numbers of issues present and almost no significant runs to speak of. Cape Cods are very clean with good page quality. They mainly grade 8.0 or higher with many topping the CGC census for particular issues. Because Rick sold more than half the books to one buyer soon after purchasing the collection, the books were not permitted a normal introduction like most pedigree collections have seen. If not for the instantly recognizable "ND" code found on the covers of most issues, this collection would have slipped into oblivion.

Maybe the 'L' is Larsen ?

The only time a Larson book has an "L" is if it says Lamont or Larson and never if it is just an "L."

No pedigree or significant collection comes to mind with that code but my memory always works better when I see the whole cover and the code.

That L is found on many books. It probably simply refers to the distributor that dropped the book off to that newsstand. The retailer needs to know who to return the unsold to and the distributor is not going to tell you which is is and which is not. 12 - 15 is probably the date the book was received. What is the book date? That way, the retailer knows to pull it and claim a return on 02 - 15 if still unsold.

That L is found on many books. It probably simply refers to the distributor that dropped the book off to that newsstand. The retailer needs to know who to return the unsold to and the distributor is not going to tell you which is is and which is not. 12 - 15 is probably the date the book was received. What is the book date? That way, the retailer knows to pull it and claim a return on 02 - 15 if still unsold.

It's a February book, so that makes sense. Thanks for the insight!

I always wondered if the L books were Lion's club giveaways. When I was younger, they used to have luncheons and giveaway presents to children in needy neighborhoods at Christmas time. We weren't that needy but occasionally welfare was all we had. And those little gifts were appreciated back during times of recession in the fifties. hm

The pic was a little small and blurry but you are correct, that 'L' looks familiar.

I think that is a Cape Cod copy ? Not a CGC recognized pedigree but it should be on Ritter's site.

no way it is a larson or larson mark....jb

no way it is a larson or larson mark....jb

If anyone would know its JB. (thumbs u