• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Amazing Spider-man #300 - UPC or Spidey-Head - Let's count!

46 posts in this topic

By far the Spidey-Head is going to be the most common.

No it's not.

In very early 1988, people were still buying scads of books off newsstands.

Sure, one copy each and specs were buying cases from the LCS.

I have absolutely no doubt that in 1988 Direct issues of ASM 300 outsold Newsstand, but also that high-grade surviving DM copies (which is what we're talking about here on the CGC forums) far outnumber them.

I have no doubt that high grade DM copies outnumber newsstand copies. I do not believe that the absolute number of extant copies is much different.

Oh, and if more than 10 people total bought a CASE of Spidey #300 on speculation, I'd be surprised.

That's not to say that cases didn't and don't exist. Obviously, in the distribution system, cases of this or that book get set aside and warehoused for years, even decades.

But Spidey #300 was a surprise for everyone. The title was in the doldrums for years (since the 250's, to be precise.) And please let's not the "Todd McFarlane was SUPER HOT when Spidey #300 came out" argument again, because he simply was not UNTIL Spidey #300 came out.

As has been demonstrated before, Spidey #300 wasn't even a sellout, and took month to become even a $5 book.

I don't think there's been much difference in the market so far, but it looks like a high grade UPC might (eventually) sell for more than the same grade in Spidey-Head.

That could possibly start a trend... ASM 300 is a big enough book to drive a shift

(if there's ever going to be a shift) toward newsstand editions of copper/modern editions.

A better example of this is ASM 194, which not only had a pile of Direct copies, but was also bundled in a 3-pack that is still available from warehouse finds.

That issue should definitely be worth far in with a UPC, and if this trend catches on, might turn out to be near worthless with a Spidey head.

When that fantasy happens, please let me know. I'll happily buy all the VF/NM or better Spidey #300s for $10 or less that I can afford.

I don't think there's been much difference in the market so far, but it looks like a high grade UPC might (eventually) sell for more than the same grade in Spidey-Head.

That could possibly start a trend... ASM 300 is a big enough book to drive a shift

(if there's ever going to be a shift) toward newsstand editions of copper/modern editions.

A better example of this is ASM 194, which not only had a pile of Direct copies, but was also bundled in a 3-pack that is still available from warehouse finds.

That issue should definitely be worth far in with a UPC, and if this trend catches on, might turn out to be near worthless with a Spidey head.

When that fantasy happens, please let me know. I'll happily buy all the VF/NM or better Spidey #300s for $10 or less that I can afford.

If you wouldn't mind, could you P.M. me too if this ever happens. I would love more of these books at $10 bucks or less. As long as they are first prints, I don't really care upc or spidey head.

Glad to hear someone bring up rag-edge. The first copy I owned had that--like the cover was cut with a dull blade. I thought it was an isolated incident, though--didn't realize it was common to the book.

Extremely common to the book and recognized by CGC as a manufacturing defect (ie, not downgraded).

One of the earliest "Ask CGC" threads is about this.

Oh, and if more than 10 people total bought a CASE of Spidey #300 on speculation, I'd be surprised.

That's not to say that cases didn't and don't exist. Obviously, in the distribution system, cases of this or that book get set aside and warehoused for years, even decades.

But Spidey #300 was a surprise for everyone. The title was in the doldrums for years (since the 250's, to be precise.) And please let's not the "Todd McFarlane was SUPER HOT when Spidey #300 came out" argument again, because he simply was not UNTIL Spidey #300 came out.

As has been demonstrated before, Spidey #300 wasn't even a sellout, and took month to become even a $5 book.

I wasn't there at the time, but one would think being both the 300th anniv issue and the 25th anniv issue, some extra copies would have been ordered,,just like with #200, etc. big anniversary issues usually don't go under the radaar, at least not back then when people fell for that stuff more readily.

Someone here would know, what was circulation for spidey during this stretch?

That's not to say that cases didn't and don't exist.

They do exist and in quantities - in fact, one esteemed forum member bought an entire case awhile back, and other online vendors have offered them up as well.

Your estimate of "10" cases is bizarre, even for you. doh!

I realize you're not exactly the most intelligent fellow in the world, but how difficult is it to READ my post. A 6-year old could do it.

Is this somehow :censored: unclear to your warped little mind? I'm referring to ASM 194 Direct/Multi-pack, which is as common as dirt.

That's not to say that cases didn't and don't exist.

They do exist and in quantities - in fact, one esteemed forum member bought an entire case awhile back, and other online vendors have offered them up as well.

Your estimate of "10" cases is bizarre, even for you. doh!

Yeah.

Ok.

If you wish to believe this fantasy, by all means...

Make with the proof.

I'll wait.

I realize you're not exactly the most intelligent fellow in the world, but how difficult is it to READ my post. A 6-year old could do it.

Well....since most of what you write is at the 6 year old level, it's a wonder anyone understands what you write.

Is this somehow :censored: unclear to your warped little mind? I'm referring to ASM 194 Direct/Multi-pack, which is as common as dirt.

Yes, dear, thank you for clarifying that in such a gentlemanly, courteous manner.

:luhv:

I'm half convinved that you two are the same person except with multiple personalities arguing with eachother

I have had that thought before.

I think they are so similar in personality that they can't stand each other. hm

meh

When JC and I become "so similar in personality" we can't be told apart is the day I don't post anymore. YOU and I have more in common personality-wise than he and I do.

(thumbs u

my son watches a show..richard scarey's "busy town" and on it are "pig will" and "pig won't". they basically have the same personality, but they're always on opposite ends of an argument. now i'm not saying that either of you remind me of cartoon pigs, i'm just saying, the absolute certainty of one's convictions, contempt for those who disagree with you, etc... now, it's true, you don't refer to anyone as a chicken armed geek or anything like that (which is funny on these boards where I suspect half the posters are (1) on steroids or some other sort of "juice" or have been at some point and/or (2) live in a militia compound and armed with an arsenal of assault type weapons. often it looks like both (1) and (2)), but if i don't keep track of who is on which side of an argument I can get confused.

my son watches a show..richard scarey's "busy town" and on it are "pig will" and "pig won't". they basically have the same personality, but they're always on opposite ends of an argument. now i'm not saying that either of you remind me of cartoon pigs, i'm just saying, the absolute certainty of one's convictions, contempt for those who disagree with you, etc...

Well that's just loopy. :screwy:

I have no contempt for those who disagree with me. Disagreement is a good thing, and keeps people sharp. No one learns anything if they never disagree with anyone.

What I have contempt for are people who are incapable of having a disagreement without getting their emotions involved, and making the disagreement personal. I also have contempt for people who arrogantly refuse to acknowledge proven, established fact because it doesn't match with "what they remember."

But contempt for plain ol' disagreement..? Not hardly. As a matter of fact, blobby, I have a considerable amount of respect for you, your utter unwillingness to learn how the quote function works aside, because you ARE willing to disagree with me, and generally keep it above flinging personal insults when I happen to disagree with you.

Sadly, because of the emotionally juvenile bent of the comics hobby, that happens on boards like these far more often than elsewhere.

(And those of you reading this, don't get pissy about that statement or you'll prove me right. We all know it's absolutely true. That's just the nature of the hobby.)

my son watches a show..richard scarey's "busy town" and on it are "pig will" and "pig won't". they basically have the same personality, but they're always on opposite ends of an argument. now i'm not saying that either of you remind me of cartoon pigs, i'm just saying, the absolute certainty of one's convictions, contempt for those who disagree with you, etc...

Well that's just loopy. :screwy:

I have no contempt for those who disagree with me. Disagreement is a good thing, and keeps people sharp. No one learns anything if they never disagree with anyone.

What I have contempt for are people who are incapable of having a disagreement without getting their emotions involved, and making the disagreement personal. I also have contempt for people who arrogantly refuse to acknowledge proven, established fact because it doesn't match with "what they remember."

But contempt for plain ol' disagreement..? Not hardly. As a matter of fact, blobby, I have a considerable amount of respect for you, your utter unwillingness to learn how the quote function works aside, because you ARE willing to disagree with me, and generally keep it above flinging personal insults when I happen to disagree with you.

Sadly, because of the emotionally juvenile bent of the comics hobby, that happens on boards like these far more often than elsewhere.

(And those of you reading this, don't get pissy about that statement or you'll prove me right. We all know it's absolutely true. That's just the nature of the hobby.)

Are you happy?

OK, JC might be worse in that regard, though he does send some thoughtful and helpful PMs now and then.

As for personal insults...I try not to know anything about anyone here, so it's easy to not get personal. Some stuff just does not stay in my brain no matter how much I try...like knowing which issues are the "rare" whitman variants and 35 cent variants. Some stuff just does not stick.