• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comics Greatest Villian?

36 posts in this topic

I didn't want to hijack Jens thread, so I'll post it here:

Who do you think is the Greatest Villain in Comics?

My answer, obviously, is Dr. Doom. To me, he is the epitome of what a classic villain should be: diabolical, ego-maniacal, power-hungry, ruthless, vengeful, a singular purpose (World Domination via the destruction of the FF)...Doom had it all, plus some of the best lines ever in comics:

FF#58: As Doom battles the Thing, "Feel! Feel the limitless cosmic power in the hand which you once nearly crushed....and know that it is certainly the last thing you will ever feel in your worthless, soon-to-be-ended life!"

I defy anyone to name a villain who speaks so eloquently to his "would-be" victims.

My next favorite villain would have to be Herr Starr from "Preacher". He's from the same mold as Doom with a whole lotta bad luck added to the formula.

Chris

P.S. Warning: Anyone who says Sabretooth receives a No Stars from me!

For a single story, either Mr. Mxyptplz (spelling) from Alan Moore's "Last Superman Story" in Action 583-Superman 424, where we learn the "truth" behind Mxyplytz, OR Mongul from Alan Moore's Superman Annual 10 story about Superman's birthday, which is, by the way, the best Superman story of all time, and in the top-5 of overall comic stories.

For a "body of work", Dr. Doom.

OK...here's the follow-up, then....WHY are they your favorites? What about them do you find so appealing?

I was never a Superman reader, but I do remember Mr. Myxptlitczyx (spelling? grin.gif ) being my favorite baddy on Super-Friends. Never cared much for Luthor, as he is only the 2nd most evil-genius in comics. I like the Joker as well (although some of those old stories from the 50's and 60's really blow!). And, I guess, for straight-up super-powers, I'd go with Magneto as well. But, in the end, it's all about DOOM!!!!!!

Chris

Dr. Doom. The complexity of his character. The whole king thing. The fact that he always used to keep his word no matter what. The mixture of science and the mystic arts. The ego. The scarred face that he made worse in his own impatience. The rivalry with Reed Richards. That mask. Everything.

Runners up: Thanos. Galactus. Magneto. The Kingpin. The Joker. The Red Skull.

Doc Doom..no competition.

Why ? The sheer hatred and ambition that fuels his madness/rage. And of course that famous ego of his...

What's not to love about a guy that speaks of himself in the third person smile.gif

Joker is a decent runner-up.

No morals, original ways of taking care of business and always true to himself...

I wouldn't call Galactus a villian per se...a force of nature perhaps,but not a bad guy...

Bill Jemas would also feature on my list as one of Comics Greatest Villians...

Marville anyone ?

I go with the Joker in the Killing Joke. Anyone who could shoot Barbara Gordon as to paralyze her then, (implied) force himself on her, is one sick ! Ans reading this back in 8th grade as an impressionable teen totally blew my mind on how far traditional superhero (non-independent) comics could go.

This is one heinous evil freakshow.

And I'm a Marvel fan to boot. tongue.gif

Good call Buddah!

I forgot about the "Doom always keeps his word" thing.

What really got me started on this kick was I picked up DD#37 and #38 this weekend (Doom appearances), and I loved that once DD foiled Doom's plot (Doom had switched bodies w/ DD and was going to infiltrate the FF that way. DD, as Doom, declared war on Latveria's neighbors, forcing Doom to switch bodies and recind the orders), Doom let DD go because, although he could have easily had his cronies crush DD, he felt that would not be a "magnificent enough victory" for such a royal being. So, he let DD live to die another day.

Chrom - How did I know you were going to say Doom?

Chris

Killing Joke is my only reason for listing the Joker in my top villains. It was always my favorite Batman book. Great, twisted story, and some of the most incredible artwork I have ever seen in a comic book. The cover still gives me chills!

Chris

Ahhh yes! Serpentor (remember the commercial? "Serpentor! Serpentor! The most evil foe of G.I. Joe...."). How could anyone argue with that choice? A combination of the genetic codes of the most ruthless, tyrannical rulers of all-time! And that AWESOME costume! He looks like he coulda been lead in "La Cage Au Faux". lol!

Chris