• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Posts Made Me Recall Joe Kubert Meeting and Enemy Ace Commission!

6 posts in this topic

All these NYCC posts caused me to remember (with much fondness) my travel to NYC after SDCC this year and my meeting with Joe Kubert at his school in New Jersey. I consider Joe to be an amazing talent and a true legend of the industry and I was delighted to make his acquaintance first at my hometown con, Supanova and then later at his school. During the Supanova con, I was delighted to entertain Joe and Gabe Bridwell (one of the teachers at the Joe Kubert School) at my home where we had coffee and cake while looking through my art collection and chatting about comics, artists etc.

At Supanova, Joe kindly brought with him a Sgt. Rock commission which I’d arranged prior to the con but since it was drawn in the front of one of his hardback books (How to Draw from Life), I wasn’t able to frame the piece. Joe said that if he’d known it was to be framed, he would have been happy to do the piece on a separate piece of paper. As a result, I arranged a second commission (Enemy Ace the Hammer from Hell) with Joe to be collected when I visited him at the school after my attendance at SDCC.

I had an absolutely terrific visit at the school and had lunch with Joe and Gabe but it was when Joe showed me the commission in his office that I was stunned and then even more gob-smacked (ie speechless) when Joe said “Don’t insult me” when I tried to pay for it!

I recently had the Enemy Ace piece framed and it can be seen here -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=683917&GSub=101531

A good scan of the Enemy Ace piece can be seen here -

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=660301&GSub=101531

I hope you enjoy checking it out as it’s one of my prized possessions :) Best,

Royd

Thanks Alex but I just got lucky in being able to spend some quality time with Joe with a developing friendship :)

However, whenever I do a regular search of CAF for work by Joe, I keep coming back to your "fantabulous" Sgt. Rock charity piece which is one of the nicest finished pieces around! The sketches which Joe does in the front of his books are great (and a lasting memory) but yours is beautifully finished.

And, I couldn't agree more regarding the longevity of Joe's incredible talent! Best,

Royd

I clearly need a better grade of friend. )

I paid a bit more for my Sgt. Rock, but it was a charity auction. :)

Joe's work is amazing. His new stuff at age 80+ is as good as anything he's done in the last 70 years.