• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

As long as a book has been properly pressed it can only enhance the value of the comic and not hurt it.
This is yet to be proven. ;)

Actually, I would say it has 'yet to be disproved'.

Well, if pressing a book guarantees to enhance the value why aren't sellers jumping up and down to say 'this book has been pressed' so they can get more money for it?

It simply does enhance the value. You and I both know that pressing a book that can benefit from from pressing tends to get a higher grade.

Therefore, using basic, 1st grade logic, pressing enhances value.

I wouldn't do that if I were you, Stevie. You think I'm bad? The boys over at Valiantfans are puppy dogs compared to this board. You start taking that tone around here, and you will be eaten alive....and you probably won't even be aware it's happening. lol

Fair warning.

(thumbs u

It simply does enhance the value. You and I both know that pressing a book that can benefit from from pressing tends to get a higher grade.

I have had books that visually benefited from pressing and dropped two CGC grades. Where did pressing enhance the value there... based on your 1st grade logic? I'll answer for you. The intrinsic value of book increased, but the monetary value decreased.

So, what does that tell us? I'll answer again. You are a nincompoop. That one's derived from basic logic.

I said tends to increase the values. Read the post again. Besides, you and I both know that the grading is not always consistent. I have a friend that has resubmitted books and the grades have risen and dropped.

Pressed books tend to get a higher grade, otherwise, why bother?

And don't call me a nincompoop since you have demonstrated a simple inability to read a sentence. I really, really want to be nice here.

As long as a book has been properly pressed it can only enhance the value of the comic and not hurt it.

Well, if pressing a book guarantees to enhance the value why aren't sellers jumping up and down to say 'this book has been pressed' so they can get more money for it?

I wouldn't do that if I were you, Stevie. You think I'm bad? The boys over at Valiantfans are puppy dogs compared to this board. You start taking that tone around here, and you will be eaten alive....and you probably won't even be aware it's happening. lol

Fair warning.

(thumbs u

He's already been eaten and spat out once - he just wants more :insane:

Fair warning.

(thumbs u

I'm not trolling for a fight here. Just trying to clarify some points.

I will say that I just purchased a beautiful JIM 104 from Dale and I DID ask if it had been pressed. He replied that it had not, but that it had been pro-screened by Matt Nelson and it would make no difference to the grade to press it. I'm all for disclosure, and I picked the best method to get it. I asked.

I've only had the opportunity to buy one book from Dale - a sweet Out of This World #1. Dale did not say whether or not it was pressed. Nor did I ask. Nor did I care. Nor did the thought of pressing ever even cross my mind. But what I did do is immediately yank it out of its mylar, flip it open, and hand it to Tupenny to share with him the cool Crom the Barbarian story inside.

Sometimes I think its good to pause, take a deep breath, and remember why where we're all into this in the first place. Because comic books are fun.

Carry on. :popcorn:

Pressing does not guarantee to enhance a book's value. If done correctly, about the only thing it guarantees is to make the book present better.

In a steady market a book that presents better is going to sell for more money, so I think you just answered your own question.

Fair warning.

(thumbs u

He's already been eaten and spat out once - he just wants more :insane:

I was, and am continuing, to be nice. I would greatly appreciate if you'd do the same.

I will say that I just purchased a beautiful JIM 104 from Dale and I DID ask if it had been pressed. He replied that it had not, but that it had been pro-screened by Matt Nelson and it would make no difference to the grade to press it. I'm all for disclosure, and I picked the best method to get it. I asked.

I've only had the opportunity to buy one book from Dale - a sweet Out of This World #1. Dale did not say whether or not it was pressed. Nor did I ask. Nor did I care. Nor did the thought of pressing ever even cross my mind. But what I did do is immediately yank it out of its mylar, flip it open, and hand it to Tupenny to share with him the cool Crom the Barbarian story inside.

Sometimes I think its good to pause, take a deep breath, and remember why where we're all into this in the first place. Because comic books are fun.

Carry on. :popcorn:

:applause:

Pressing does not guarantee to enhance a book's value. If done correctly, about the only thing it guarantees is to make the book present better.

In a steady market a book that presents better is going to sell for more money, so I think you just answered your own question.

Again if that's the case why aren't sellers saying 'look how much this book presents better because it's been pressed'

Not necessarily. Sometimes, it just boils down to that big, fat number in the upper left corner.

I would put this book up against any 9.4. If this book and a miswrapped 9.4 were priced the same, I promise you most folks will still go for the 9.4 copy.

xmen5590owwnorth-1.jpg

Again if that's the case why aren't sellers saying 'look how much this book presents better because it's been pressed'

:makepoint:

They don't have to because the new presentation is reflected in the newly assigned CGC grade.

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

:makepoint:

They don't have to because the new presentation is reflected in the newly assigned CGC grade.

And how would I know that when thinking about buying the book?

I will press everything here on out. Because then my collection will be worth more :insane:

In all seriousness I have always admired those who are pro-active in disclosure. And when I became (somewhat) more knowledgeable, it is the path I took as well. Just seems right.

And as much as I like Dale Roberts I ask this. If it is too hard to disclose upfront since you will have to find out what books were or were not pressed, etc.. What difference would it make later? If you dont know, you dont know. But why not just log your books as pressed or not? It isnt difficult. Im sure you know which are restored right? What is the difficult aspect of keeping another set of notes?

Because it is a complete waste of time and nobody besides some of those on the CGC boards care. I've been to plenty of shows and never heard one person ask if a book was pressed. Never.

Within the next 5 to 10 years all of the books that can benefit from pressing will have been pressed so if collecting CGC is your thing and you don't like pressing then you might as well find a new hobby.

Pat,

Seriously, do you have any idea how many books I go through? Obviously not or you wouldn't suggest it is just as easy as keeping another set of notes. And the simple fact is, I don't want to spend any more time "working" than I do now.

I guarantee that it is easier for you to ask me, than it is for me to dig back through invoices to find out what nobody buy a few guys on this board care about.

And I deal in so few restored books of any kind, I can pretty much name them right off the top of my head, and I always put an R in the price tag to note restoration.

Dale

Because it is a complete waste of time and nobody besides some of those on the CGC boards care. I've been to plenty of shows and never heard one person ask if a book was pressed. Never.

That's because most are not aware of the process.

Within the next 5 to 10 years all of the books that can benefit from pressing will have been pressed so if collecting CGC is your thing and you don't like pressing then you might as well find a new hobby.

Thanks for the advice

You ask. :gossip:

Not a problem - and what's the likelihood that I'll get an honest answer when the seller knows I don't buy pressed books?

Depends on the seller. The one that's going to lie, is going to lie regardless. Not to be a basturd, but do you label the books on your website as "Not Pressed" ? I honestly haven't looked.