• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How Do We Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure In The Marketplace?

How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure  

282 members have voted

1. 1. How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure

513 posts in this topic

You know what. Ill say in my sales threads I don't know if its been pressed. Because I don't. I can honestly say if it is I didn't do it and I sure can't tell if its been pressed.

But I am not taking any returns on books for being pressed unless you prove it to me. Show me inconclusively that a book I sold to you was pressed and Ill gladly return the money. And unless there is incontrovertible evidence of the book having been pressed...not circumstantial...no returns.

Or how many have even ever purchased, sold or even have a valid interest in the marketplace. Of course, I'm sure we will be told that it isn't relevant.

I agree.

That's why everyone that makes a vote should also make a post in the respective thread regarding their reasoning for their vote. Anything short of that is not representative of a community, it's just an anonymous poll.

I didn't vote because "all possible stances" are not covered by it.

Christonabike, now I'm agreeing with DiceX. Unbelievable. DiceX and Meade in the same week. Shoot me now.

(:

Or how many have even ever purchased, sold or even have a valid interest in the marketplace. Of course, I'm sure we will be told that it isn't relevant.

I agree.

That's why everyone that makes a vote should also make a post in the respective thread regarding their reasoning for their vote. Anything short of that is not representative of a community, it's just an anonymous poll.

You realize true democracies use anonymous voting right? Is that not what they do in Canada?

You do realize that all of the USA or Canada is not considered a community and you also do realize that the CGC forums do not constitute a democracy, right?

incontrovertible

Even though I have been labeled a relativist, I absolutely love this word. Always have. Such power behind it.

:cloud9:

I agree.

You realize true democracies use anonymous voting right? Is that not what they do in Canada?

You do realize that all of the USA or Canada is not considered a community and you also do realize that the CGC forums do not constitute a democracy, right?

The USA isn't a "democracy", either. :acclaim:

I agree.

The boards are not a democracy.

In. Before. The. Lock.

:tonofbricks:

That's the best thing that could happen to this train wreck.

I hate to say this, Nick, because I do, and will continue to disclose anything I know...but I can't vote for those options...

There was a reason I didn't want to start a poll, it's very difficult.

I don't want to see blacklists, I'm not McCarthy...and I don't think we can derive enough information from a few posts in the marketplace to put people on lists.

I'd prefer an option where we ask for some suggested statements to be included in the rules.

Sha, I included all of the suggestions to cover all the possible stances on the issue...from militant to middle-ground.

You don't like lists but do like incorporation in the rules? That's fine...just vote that way. (thumbs u

Actually, no you didn't. You didn't include the "don't do anything" option. The last poll asked:

Should Marketplace sellers be expected to pro-actively disclose pressing in their threads?

and 74% of those people voted yes. Yay.

This poll is not asking the same thing.

This poll is asking How To Achieve Pro-Active Disclosure, which is a VASTLY different poll from the first one.

The first poll is a voluntary action. We expect you to proactively disclose. You should do it, as a matter of good business practices - even though the sponsor of this board can't tell pressing and there is no consensus opinion on the action - because there is a significant section of the purchasing populace who doesn't want a pressed book, for whatever reason. That's a voluntary action, with the onus on enforcement on the collective and the seller.

The second poll is an enforcement action, with no "do nothing" option. I personally don't want any of these options - and I agree with the first poll - and I'm quite positive there's a majority of people who also do not.

Donut, prepare for armageddon, we agree completely for the second time in a week. lol

In. Before. The. Lock.

The USA is a republic, always has been. That's not political, that's factual.

Fair enough. I thought he was going gold bug, tin foil on us.

(thumbs u

You know what. Ill say in my sales threads I don't know if its been pressed. Because I don't. I can honestly say if it is I didn't do it and I sure can't tell if its been pressed.

And I have to wonder how many people will not buy your (or my, or anyone's) book because you (me, they) can't confirm nor deny any pressing at some point in time.

Clearly, many here don't care one way or another and will buy it anyway, but are there people buying books here who will not buy because no one prove that it's been pressed or not? I'm betting yes.

And I have to wonder how many people will not buy your (or my, or anyone's) book because you (me, they) can't confirm nor deny any pressing at some point in time.

Clearly, many here don't care one way or another and will buy it anyway, but are there people buying books here who will not buy because no one prove that it's been pressed or not? I'm betting yes.

You bet your there are. (thumbs u

In. Before. The. Lock.

The USA is a republic, always has been. That's not political, that's factual.

Fair enough. I thought he was going gold bug, tin foil on us.

(thumbs u

:taptaptap:

I think you're wrong. It isn't about money. Not in this instance. It's about forced disclosure. Forced anything for that matter. There's plenty of evidence that supports even disclosed pressing can still garner market prices. It's about perception. I think we've all witnessed who will turn on a dime if they think it will cost them a nickel.
There are many things you are forced to do to sell in the marketplace here. See those rules at the top. I'm with Nick. The community has spoken that they want proactive disclosure. That's no different than asking that book be listed with a set price and shipping costs or that a grade or picture be provided.

It's very different. A price, a scan and a grade are necessary for doing business. Those things have a legitimate need to be there. Mandatory disclosure is motivated purely by personal preference. The community thought disclosure should be "expected" not something that should rammed down their throat with a spoonful of sugar.

Actually, two out of the three are not necessary for doing business. You could show a scan and ask for offers. Price, scan and grade are part of the "rules," as would be the proposed disclosure statement.

Why is it no one squawks about being "forced" to list price, scan and grade (and restoration for that matter), yet there is much drama about the "forcing" of proactive disclosure? Seems more of a matter of people doing what they want to do and "not giving in to those disclosure people" than having any rational basis.

Nice meeting you, by the way, Jim. :grin:

I think you're wrong. It isn't about money. Not in this instance. It's about forced disclosure. Forced anything for that matter. There's plenty of evidence that supports even disclosed pressing can still garner market prices. It's about perception. I think we've all witnessed who will turn on a dime if they think it will cost them a nickel.
There are many things you are forced to do to sell in the marketplace here. See those rules at the top. I'm with Nick. The community has spoken that they want proactive disclosure. That's no different than asking that book be listed with a set price and shipping costs or that a grade or picture be provided.

It's very different. A price, a scan and a grade are necessary for doing business. Those things have a legitimate need to be there. Mandatory disclosure is motivated purely by personal preference. The community thought disclosure should be "expected" not something that should rammed down their throat with a spoonful of sugar.

Actually, two out of the three are not necessary for doing business. You could show a scan and ask for offers. Price, scan and grade are part of the "rules," as would be the proposed disclosure statement.

Why is it no one squawks about being "forced" to list price, scan and grade (and restoration for that matter), yet there is much drama about the "forcing" of proactive disclosure? Seems more of a matter of people doing what they want to do and "not giving in to those disclosure people" than having any rational basis.

Looks like we have one thing in common, Steve. We aren't near the individual_without_enough_empathys in person as we appear to be on the boards.

Looks like we have one thing in common, Steve. We aren't near the individual_without_enough_empathys in person as we appear to be on the boards.

:eyeroll:

lol

Okay. Okay. I am an individual_without_enough_empathy in person.

Don't sell yourself short. You are a tremendous individual_without_enough_empathy.