• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Highgradecomics.com hosting problems

38 posts in this topic

I would like to apologize to my customers who are experiencing problems with the website.

My move over to GoDaddy.com has been nothing short of trouble since I've moved over. Superworld is also on the same hosting company. We are probably on the same crappy server. If anyone out there is considering Hosting companies do yourself a BIG favor and avoid this crappy company. I have been on the phone for 2 days with 5 different people and a supervisor.

I'm hoping that Godaddy might find the problem and fix it. I will be looking into another hosting company and plan on moving over as soon as I can.

Again the reason I moved over was my other web hosting company being hacked and the slow server we had to be put on. If you think Comic dealers are difficult to deal with try dealing with these .

Bob Storms

www.highgradecomics.com

I dumped Go Daddy a few years back. I use 1and1.com and have had no problems.

If you'd like to check them out, just click here. Good tech support, free SSL, and a bunch of other goodies. I've never had any down time or load/access problems.

Hope your problems are resolved soon, Bob. :wishluck:

EDIT: :gossip: Go Daddy is sllll......ooooo.....wwwww

Rackspace is definitely a business-class service. Pretty expensive though. They now also have a Cloud Service.

I've hosted with them before. (thumbs u

Take a look at Pair Networks.

I work for a web development company and our default shared web host we recommend to small clients is GoDaddy. We've also used LunarPages, Yahoo, Brinkster, 1and1, Alentus, and a few smaller ones. They all have intermittent problems; I haven't noticed a significantly larger amount of them with GoDaddy than most others. We've got a dozen clients who have run flawlessly on them, but we've got one who ended up on their newly-developed shared server farm--which you probably went onto if you just started using them--and we asked to get moved back off of that to a single server because it was too buggy and slow. I still like GoDaddy's web-based configuration options better than any other web host I've ever seen, and the number of free applications they will install onto a shared hosting account is jaw-droppingly impressive. Their tech support is sometimes useless to talk to--seems to be all lowly-paid newbs, which isn't surprising given the cost of their service, nor is it any different than any of their competition we've worked with--but they do raise problems to the experienced guys and they usually get them worked out within a few hours, or the worst cases we've seen, a few days.

If you're paying a cheap price for hosting, expect problems at some point and be grateful if you win the lottery and don't have them. Cheap, shared web hosts are like dry cleaners--EVERY customer is a future ex-customer. :eek:

Ironically, GoDaddy's name came up in a PM a few days ago and I warned a boardie here about them.

There is a small company out of Ottawa that I would recommend for your site. Some of the hosting companies others have recommended are indeed good, but they also tend to be large scale companies, and everything involves a protocol, multiple calls in, logging-in to report, trouble tickets, etc.

In the over 4 years I've been using them, I haven't had that many reasons to call in, and when I did, I was talking to a live person within minutes, and had the problem corrected on the spot. I use this company and they have fair pricing and outstanding support. I don't use them for the high caliber application hosting, but I would if it wouldn't mean a month or two of prep and a weekend or two to migrate over.

Currently they do host my corporate Website (just realized they also host my online store) and some light sandbox development (cost is roughly $30 per month, but you could probably get a better rate), and have had nothing but positive experience.

Reason I like this place is exactly these types of posts.

One thing I would like to point out. I am not concerned about getting the lowest rate per month, I would like a stable platform that works. It's not like $30/mth would kill me. I spend more on a storage room so in relative terms I think I can swing it.

I'd be concerned about hosting a US site in Canada.

When I was a IT Manager and my team recommended software, server, etc I always asked if the company was reliable, how was their tech support and would they be around in 10 years. I realize that Cloud computing is all the rage and frankly I've seen the Fast money interviews with the Rackspace CEO. If there is anybody in a cloud it's watching that guy explain how they make money.

As with anything everybody has their favorites and I've already moved once, I'd like to not do it again for awhile.

Bob

FWIW, since you went with your new hosting company, your emails have been getting routed to my spam folder. I don't know if anyone else has had the problem.

The only concern I would have with hosting outside of the U.S. is spending money on a potential call. The company I recommended has a 1-800 number. I have a server hosted in Dallas, and another in Texas. While the company that manages those servers is reliable and supportive, I can't get on the phone with anyone. I've been with them long enough to keep a pool of upper management emails because I couldn't stand logging into their superbly designed support console, writing down the problem, waiting for a trouble ticket to be created, and then having a tech deal with the issue. Thank God this doesn't happen all too often, but after having been through this even once, I learned that a tersely worded email to management gets all of the above done, quickly, with an email after everything is remedied asking if it got fixed to my satisfaction.

While this is a cool workaround, I'd still take a phone call over email. Which is why I recommended the company. Seriously, in the few times I called - no matter what hour - someone picked up and resolved it right away.

One other potential hang-up is the different holidays (i.e. Thanksgiving), but I'm almost positive I called on a weekend and/or holiday and someone still got back to me within the hour.