• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The law of unintended consequences and this board re: Hulk #377 3rd

263 posts in this topic

Nice analysis re. the $.30 and $.35 variants.

In either this or last year's OSPG, Doug Sulipa noted that, had the market recognized the Iron Fist 14 $.35 variants for nearly as long as it had the Star Wars # 1, it would--by far--be the most valuable Bronze comic. Incredibly rare relative to the Star Wars 1, and arguably (unlike some of the rarer Bronze variants) key.

But no--the market had stood with Star Wars 1 $.35 for so long that the book achieved an entrenched mythology, so much so that Iron Fist 14 $.35 will likely never catch it.

That is just Sulipa's opinion.

An interesting aspect of the 35 cent variants (and 30 cent variants) is the lack of real keys.

Star Wars 1 is a real key from day one. It was so big, that it had a huge print run and subsequent reprintings. Being common also pushes the Star Wars collector to want the "less common" variant. There are tons of Star Wars collectors that are not comic collectors. So, you get non-comic people buying the books because it is a Star Wars collectable.

Contrast that with Iron Fist. A second tier hero who was canceled after even the x-men could not save him past 15 issues. It was not a key book at first until the wolverine - sabretooth connections. So the x-men collectors ar the ones that brought this book to key status.

I think the Star Wars connection would have always outpaced the sabretooth attraction.

sorry about the digressions, but I heard that RMA has a short box of Hulk 377 3rd prints in 9.6 or better...

Nice analysis re. the $.30 and $.35 variants.

In either this or last year's OSPG, Doug Sulipa noted that, had the market recognized the Iron Fist 14 $.35 variants for nearly as long as it had the Star Wars # 1, it would--by far--be the most valuable Bronze comic. Incredibly rare relative to the Star Wars 1, and arguably (unlike some of the rarer Bronze variants) key.

But no--the market had stood with Star Wars 1 $.35 for so long that the book achieved an entrenched mythology, so much so that Iron Fist 14 $.35 will likely never catch it.

That is just Sulipa's opinion.

An interesting aspect of the 35 cent variants (and 30 cent variants) is the lack of real keys.

That's the real kicker. The vast majority of the 30s and 35s are absolute non-keys. X-Men #105. Howard the Duck #4. Rawhide Kid #209. There's simply nothing in the late 70's....apart from Star Wars #1 and Iron Fist #14...which even comes close to the mega keys of the early to mid 70's. X-Men #94, Hulk #181, Spotlight #5. Had there been a 30 cent variant of X-mne #94, it would easily beat SW #1, simply because of the difference in popularity (at least insofar as back issues is concerned.)

But, for better or for worse, those books came at a time when there just weren't any keys, and, at least insofar as Marvel was concerned, wouldn't be any more until X-Men #137 4-5 years later.

That's got be a Boardie. It mentions pressing in the description. :roflmao:

Well, grats to them. I had planned to bid until i woke up this morning and saw the madness. Really cool to see it break 100. Not many raw copper marvels can do that.

Well, grats to them. I had planned to bid until i woke up this morning and saw the madness. Really cool to see it break 100. Not many raw copper marvels can do that.

I'm delighted. This means that people will see it, and the flood of third prints...wherever they've been hiding...will come out.

Yay!

I'm delighted. This means that people will see it, and the flood of third prints...wherever they've been hiding...will come out.

Yay!

Exactly!!! (thumbs u :wishluck: Maybe I can finally get a high grade copy for cheap.

No doubt the boards have a direct effect on many books.

GL#76 is a prime example.

Cursed Pirate Girl too. I clearly remember JonJesper talking about it, and then BOOM it blew up here and on the bay.

Yes, there are lots of eBay sellers here lurking on the boards.

So many "hot books" dying. CPG and the like. You can buy 1, 2 and 3 (1st prints) for about $150 bucks. Remember how much they were going for a couple of months ago? It has always been this way and will continue I think. There are always those that "create" a market for what they have stashed away. It's done in the stock market (I believe it is illegal though).

What will be next? Hulk 377 3rd prints? Strawberry Shortcake?

So many "hot books" dying. CPG and the like. You can buy 1, 2 and 3 (1st prints) for about $150 bucks. Remember how much they were going for a couple of months ago? It has always been this way and will continue I think. There are always those that "create" a market for what they have stashed away. It's done in the stock market (I believe it is illegal though).

What will be next? Hulk 377 3rd prints? Strawberry Shortcake?

There are way better examples. How about the recalled ASBR book? That was $200-250 within a couple of weeks of recall in 9.8. I bet you could get one of those for $40.

Yep. I don't even keep up with the moderns and I could name a few more. I bet those who know moderns and coppers, could name dozens.

\

It seems that Silver and Gold more or less, retain their place in the financial aspect. Bronze seems to hold its own, and in some cases, shine bright. That may be because of the ages of many current collectors.

Still not sure why 2nd and 3rd prints are considered variants. Most have different or altered covers.

Isn't this the very definition of "variant"?

But to be a variant the issue must hit the stands at the same time as the others, or it's just a 2nd/3rd/etc. print/reprint.

Contrast that with Iron Fist. A second tier hero who was canceled after even the x-men could not save him past 15 issues. It was not a key book at first until the wolverine - sabretooth connections. So the x-men collectors ar the ones that brought this book to key status.

-------

while perhaps not a key until sabretooth became an x-men villian in, what, like 1986 or so?, it's a byrne book, so it was collectible then and into the 80's when anything byrne was collected. maybe not collected super hard, but not necessarily a dime box book right off the bat or whatever your cheap-o box was in the 70's.

Still not sure why 2nd and 3rd prints are considered variants. Most have different or altered covers.

Isn't this the very definition of "variant"?

But to be a variant the issue must hit the stands at the same time as the others, or it's just a 2nd/3rd/etc. print/reprint.

This is JC's definition, and it doesn't hold with the rest of the industry.

See: Batman #608 2nd printing variant.

How about the recalled ASBR book? That was $200-250 within a couple of weeks of recall in 9.8. I bet you could get one of those for $40.

I doubt you'd get $40 for one. Maybe the variant at a push.

Yay!

Exactly!!! (thumbs u :wishluck: Maybe I can finally get a high grade copy for cheap.

..... or maybe not.