• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has Anyone Dealt With Tom McMurren ???

65 posts in this topic

He goes under the e-bay name of Scarce2Rare

He lives in Clive, Iowa.

He currently has More Fun 16 and 25, and New Comics 11 up on e-bay.

His e-mail is heidihegland@hotmail.com

Basically, a few months ago, he had a More Fun 9 up on e-bay.

I asked him if he had a More Fun 10 which he did.

I paid him $1900 for it on the 23rd January.

Since then he has made every excuse - illness in the family, travelling, can't get to his computer, more family problems, etc etc etc.

So I was patient.

Seven weeks later, still no More Fun 10 and all my e-mails are being ignored.

If illness in his family was the problem, how come he just listed three more comics this week ???

I asked but received no reply.

Do I report him to e-bay ???

Technically I bought the 10 not the 9, so I may have a problem.

But he's kept the $1900 and ignored me.

What do I do, and what recourse do I have ???

Please help me - somebody.....

And SOMEBODY out there must have dealt with this guy.

Send another email to him explaining what you have observed as described below. Then threaten a lawsuit for fraud, with punitive damages. Find an attorney in Iowa who will file the suit for you. Let me know if you need help finding someone. Tell Scarce2Rare that you want to hear back from him within 48 hours and you want either the book or a full refund by the end of the week, or you will proceed with filing the lawsuit, and when you win, you will run an asset check on him and garnish his bank account. angel.gif

He goes under the e-bay name of Scarce2Rare

He lives in Clive, Iowa.

He currently has More Fun 16 and 25, and New Comics 11 up on e-bay.

His e-mail is heidihegland@hotmail.com

Basically, a few months ago, he had a More Fun 9 up on e-bay.

I asked him if he had a More Fun 10 which he did.

I paid him $1900 for it on the 23rd January.

Since then he has made every excuse - illness in the family, travelling, can't get to his computer, more family problems, etc etc etc.

So I was patient.

Seven weeks later, still no More Fun 10 and all my e-mails are being ignored.

If illness in his family was the problem, how come he just listed three more comics this week ???

I asked but received no reply.

Do I report him to e-bay ???

Technically I bought the 10 not the 9, so I may have a problem.

But he's kept the $1900 and ignored me.

What do I do, and what recourse do I have ???

Please help me - somebody.....

And SOMEBODY out there must have dealt with this guy.

You made the purchase outside of ebay, so ebay can't help you.

But I ONLY contacted him because he listed the More Fun 9 on e-bay. It was only natural to ask if he had the 10 as well.

Well if any of you are thinking of bidding on his other comics, I advise you to proceed with caution.

You made the purchase outside of ebay, so ebay can't help you. If you paid with Paypal, you might be do something, but because it was a non-ebay deal, I don't know what their policy is.

i took the chance on numerous occasions and bought stuff without e-bay protection from a number of sellers and lived to tell about it. since then, i've learned that there wasn't that much more risk. what's his seller ID so we can look at his auction site?? and, did he send you scans of the book in question or did you but it sight unseen??

You made the purchase outside of ebay, so ebay can't help you.

But I ONLY contacted him because he listed the More Fun 9 on e-bay. It was only natural to ask if he had the 10 as well.

Which means that ebay was cheated out of any fees involving the sale of the 10, therefore they have no responsibility at all. You did not use their service to buy the book because you did not buy it at auction. You could have asked the seller to put the book up for sale at an agreed-upon BIN, and have him notify you as soon as it was posted, then hit that BIN. In that case, you would've been covered by ebay's protection. But you dealt outside their system, so why should they protect you? The sale had nothing to do with them.

Point him the this thread and let him know that many potential bidders for his current auctions are watching closely to see how he resolves the deal he made with you.

Point him the this thread and let him know that many potential bidders for his current auctions are watching closely to see how he resolves the deal he made with you.

He can't take fantastyfootballbono's advice then (or his thread and advice have to be deleted throughout).

Now he can point him to the thread.

He can't take fantastyfootballbono's advice then (or his thread and advice have to be deleted throughout).

Thanks for raising a flag, Ian. I was thinking about bidding on some of his books

but will put that on hold now. I almost bid on the #9, too. Even if you do get the

book eventually, this kind of situation is very unpleasant - the seller should

know better.

Thanks for raising a flag, Ian. I was thinking about bidding on some of his books

but will put that on hold now. I almost bid on the #9, too. Even if you do get the

know better.

Has anyone else ever dealt with him ???

Does he actually HAVE the books ???

After seven weeks, you can't blame me for getting suspicious. Even Darth wouldn't blame me.

No one is blaming you for being suspicious. If anything, we're wondering why the heck you waited so long. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

know better.

Has anyone else ever dealt with him ???

Does he actually HAVE the books ???

After seven weeks, you can't blame me for getting suspicious. Even Darth wouldn't blame me.

No one is blaming you for being suspicious. If anything, we're wondering why the heck you waited so long.

I just sent him the following e-mail. I hope I haven't overdone it, but what choice do I have. Unfortunately there's a second and much more serious problem brewing with someone in Denmark, and three issues of Detective Comics, but I'm giving him a fewe more days yet. Here's the mail I sent to Tom McMurren.....

As you've stubbornly ignored all my e-mails, even though you've currently put three comics up for sale on e-bay, you're leaving me no choice.

I can prove you've been paid.

I can prove I've received no comic, seven weeks later.

I've been patient because you said you had a serious illness in the family, but I now feel you've duped me.

Unless you contact me within twenty four hours, I'm pressing charges with the police.

Plus I shall warn every bidder on e-bay for your comics about how you never sent out stuff you've been paid for.

Believe me, I'm not joking. Someone on the CGC forum was about to bid on your items but has now refrained from doing so.

If you don't contact me and try to be honest, you will not like the consequences, I promise you. I will NOT lose that $1900. And a conviction for fraud will affect the rest of your life.

No one is blaming you for being suspicious. If anything, we're wondering why the heck you waited so long.

I just sent him the following e-mail. I hope I haven't overdone it, but what choice do I have. Unfortunately there's a second and much more serious problem brewing with someone in Denmark, and three issues of Detective Comics, but I'm giving him a fewe more days yet. Here's the mail I sent to Tom McMurren.....

As you've stubbornly ignored all my e-mails, even though you've currently put three comics up for sale on e-bay, you're leaving me no choice.

I've been patient because you said you had a serious illness in the family, but I now feel you've duped me.

Unless you contact me within twenty four hours, I'm pressing charges with the police.

Plus I shall warn every bidder on e-bay for your comics about how you never sent out stuff you've been paid for.

Believe me, I'm not joking. Someone on the CGC forum was about to bid on your items but has now refrained from doing so.

If you don't contact me and try to be honest, you will not like the consequences, I promise you. I will NOT lose that $1900. And a conviction for fraud will affect the rest of your life.

That'll get his attention. 893whatthe.gif

That'll get his attention. 893whatthe.gif

The Wheels are in Motion! devil.gif

Ian, you are one bad MoFo. thumbsup2.gif

A suggestion - take Murph up on his offer and contact an attorney in Iowa. Might help to have somebody lined up. An international mail fraud for $1900 might raise somebody's attention.