• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pleasant surprises from 50p bargain boxes (Thanks BICS)

127 posts in this topic

I've happily just offloaded the Nemesis 2 for £3.00. No huge profit by any stretch of the imagination but it at least paid for the whole 50p haul.

Plus theres the added bonus that if I let the wife know I've sold anything, no matter what the price, she then doesn't moan when I buy something new.

In simplified woman logic, all purchases = potential profit and the potential resistance to me buying a high Grade UXM 94 and GSX 1 have been significantly reduced.

Shame I didn't get to meet any of you, maybe next time.

selling for the wife's sake is very important. she's very impressed with my recent sale of something i picked up for 65 cents and sold for $50. never mind that i have probably bought 250 books at 65 cents each for every time i make a score like that (or fish two $25 books out, etc.).

I just get tired of the negativity toward the hobby and a good portion of the product this hobby plays with on these boards, that's all. It's ok to own a non-key VF BA book. some moderns are actually decent reads and maybe should be worth a couple of bucks. pick up recent stuff you actually want to read for 80 cents is actually kindah neat (even though it's not so hard to do). Anyway, he's [presumably] a big boy and can see what these sell for on ebay. Unless he bundles them up in lots or has a store with 12,000 dollar/pound books in it, there is no point (likely) in selling them solo, you're right on that point.

If you feel like there's a negative vibe on the boards towards moderns, $1 bin pickups or books that aren't HG SA keys, well, that sucks - but it's got absolutely nothing to do with me (who always enjoys going $1 bin hunting, thankyouverymuch), this thread nor my repeated postings of "enjoy the books for what they are, don't waste your money trying to flip them on the 'bay".

Whatever subtext you're reacting to here is entirely of your own making.

And criminey, weren't you the one ripping me when I said you could 95% of what you miss off out of dollar boxes 3 months later?

Sure - it still isn't true, btw :gossip:

see, just like i said, he sold the nemesis 2 and it practically paid for all the other junk...i mean treasurific high quality books.

with that said, despite my LCS ordering a ton of them, i haven't fished a nemesis 1, 2 or 3 out of the bargain box. he's kept them up on the rack figuring they will sell eventually. he's probably right.

I've already lost nothing having sold the Nem 2

I never expected to make quantities of cash on these, and expect to put the remaining books on Fleabay at the 99p starting price. I've been having moderate success with selling off my mid grade 90's drek in the 99p free listings recently.

If they sell, great, probably a tenner to cover the cost of the FF 49 if not, no biggie.

you paid $15 for that FF 49? that's a pretty nice price.

I never expected to make quantities of cash on these, and expect to put the remaining books on Fleabay at the 99p starting price. I've been having moderate success with selling off my mid grade 90's drek in the 99p free listings recently.

If they sell, great, probably a tenner to cover the cost of the FF 49 if not, no biggie.

Managed to haggle a little with the seller as I also bought the SS from him.

It's not the prettiest copy in the world, but it'll do for me. My SS vol 1's average around the 6.5 grade. I collect them purely for personal nostalgia, not for a need to have the best set. I saw the 49 at a price I was already will to pay and managed to squeeze a little off the asking price.

How much did you get the FF49 for dude?

Managed to haggle a little with the seller as I also bought the SS from him.

It's not the prettiest copy in the world, but it'll do for me. My SS vol 1's average around the 6.5 grade. I collect them purely for personal nostalgia, not for a need to have the best set. I saw the 49 at a price I was already will to pay and managed to squeeze a little off the asking price.

UK conventions these days are style over substance and full of w anky internet posturing; man-love sessions, a theme common on these very boards :sick:

Too much trendy manga

Too much uninspired small press

Too much Sci-Fi & Films

Too many guests no-one's heard of

Too few dealers, too many 'exhibitions'

Basically, too little comics....

If I ran a convention the dealer's room would be the main draw, surrounded by a ring of classic creators giving out free sketches, surrounded by a ring of scantily clad girls, surrounded by bars with "no tedious middle age man-love bores" written on neon signs

I have rose-coloured spectacles, cos I went to the mid 1980s UKCACs and Alan Moore signed my Swamp Thing and Man Thing :o

UKCAC87.jpg

FA92flyer.jpg

Birmingham86badge.jpg

UK conventions these days are style over substance and full of w anky internet posturing; man-love sessions, a theme common on these very boards :sick:

Wanky isn't spooned.

Paid £24 for the FF49 and SS 10

that sounds like a really good (total) price as at a quick glance at least neither looks worse than a VG, maybe better

no doubt someone will come in and pizz on these corn flakes ... "I wouldn't pay more than $5 for a FF 49 in THAT condition!"

Somebody upset you then?

It wasn't me. I'm all for style over substance.

Somebody upset you then?

It wasn't me. I'm all for style over substance.

I did think it could be you - you do like your man-love session.

So come on Ewan, spill the beans.

Paid £24 for the FF49 and SS 10

Who was the seller?

Can't really put names to faces. His setup was opposite Incognito.

I know who you mean. (thumbs u

Don't know what his name was either, though. :tonofbricks: