• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pleasant surprises from 50p bargain boxes (Thanks BICS)

127 posts in this topic

I was standing next to you when you were haggling over the FF49. It's a shame I didn't manage to introduce myself. :(

The only book on the dealer's wall that I was interested in was a copy of an issue of Weird Science-Fantasy, can't remember which one now, but I ended up not bothering.

My only purchase was a still-sealed copy of the Adams Green Lantern / Green Arrow slipcased edition, which was published about ten years ago. Very nice book - I'll enjoy reading this one.

I only had about two hours at the event, unfortunately.

Didn't know you were there, I was around all weekend and it's a pity we didn't meet up! Did you have a good time?

Your name got mentioned at lunch, where the hellllll wereeeee youuuuuu, lol

Was hoping you could have made it, but maybe we'll meet in Bristol dude :hi:

Working on Saturday, busy as hell today unfortunately :(

I'd have loved to have made it there Lloyd, but I don't seem to have any breaks when it comes to my comic related social events calendar meh

Struggling to think who'd have mentioned me though... hm

But you were there, Andrew. ???

lol

:censored:

:foryou:

Imran? (shrug)

I'd have loved to have made it there Lloyd, but I don't seem to have any breaks when it comes to my comic related social events calendar meh

lol

Imran? (shrug)

It all gets very confusing, working out who Gav's a shill for. ??? ??? :whee:

lol

Imran? (shrug)

Moi?

Frankly thought BICS was bollocks, ,the only thing that made up for it was going out for a meal with some of the UK boardies.

It was good to see Andrew, Garry, Gary, Andy, John, Lloyd and his mate. Gav never made it as usual meh it must be only 5 min from your house Gav?!?

50-50 whether i'll go next year, the show is so goddam awful, and such a let down after NYCC.

Someone should do a proper UK show

Frankly thought BICS was bollocks, ,the only thing that made up for it was going out for a meal with some of the UK boardies.

It was good to see Andrew, Garry, Gary, Andy, John, Lloyd and his mate. Gav never made it as usual meh it must be only 5 min from your house Gav?!?

50-50 whether i'll go next year, the show is so goddam awful, and such a let down after NYCC.

I wouldn't have gone if it wasn't for meeting up with everyone. Good UK shows don't exist, we need to hassle John about organising a proper one.

BTW, thanks for looking up GPA on your phone for me, Imran. :foryou:

lol

Don't mind him Gav - he was so drunk he didn't even recognise himself in the mirror.

The show wasn't great, even worse than last year, but it was great to meet up with everyone again - especially for the food and drink on the night. Good to see Andy (Goldust 40) drunk and on good form. As good a taste in music as he has in comics.

Many thanks to John for getting me in free today (worship) and the stories he told that can't be repeated on here about the great and good of American dealers.

Birmingham is mess though - kicked out of the pub at 11.30pm doh! It was like Thatcher's Britain all over again.

Good to see you as well mate (thumbs u

Now when are you organising this garden party on your country estate?

I totally agree, meeting everybody was a highlight for me too, It's a shame I didn't get a hotel for the night and had a bus to catch home, really would have enjoyed to stay longer and kick it with the CGC homies, lol

Who is going to Bristol next year? hm

seriously, we'd go have some fish 'n chips at some dive and the bill would be $100.

You'd probably feed 13 people on that sort of budget at a local 'chippy'. Maybe not in London, but definitely in Derby...

ok, well, it's hard to eat fish 'n chips without a few (or more) pints too and this was when the exchange rate was 2:1. that was one expensive trip.

Thanks,

Probably give them a read and then dump them on Fleabay (Except the Endsong). Confident I can pull in more than 50p for each :)

Was my first visit to BICS so wasn't sure what to expect. The majority of bargain bins were as usual, tatty, well thumbed copies. I'm very happy with these.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the 50p books you bought are all, well, 50p books - even the Choker #1 isn't fetching more than a couple of $ on ebay at the moment.

After listing fees, final value fees, and PP fees you'd basically be loosing money on each transaction - if I were you, I'd just enjoy them for what they are: cheap readers :foryou:

umm, they're good buys at that price for someone to, heaven forbid...read!! which is what some people do with these comics. as a flip, yeah, probably break even at best after fees, particularly as singleton issues. also, are you so sure you know the nuances of the UK market? folks over there often tend to pay a little bit of a premium to buy stuff within the UK to avoid US to UK shipping costs. so maybe nemesis 2 is a $3-$5 book over there. but if these were books the OP had thought about purchasing at cover price and is now getting them for 80 cents, that's a win win. i'd be thrilled to get a run of recent walking deads or goons out of a $1 box even though if I tried to sell them after fees and what not there really isn't a profit (I don't think at least).

So how is this different than what I said? :shrug:

I specifically said that if I was the OP "I'd just enjoy them for what they are: cheap readers".

you were pizzing on his corn flakes (or cheerios, depending on where you are). you knew it, that's why you had the disclaimer in there! fact of the matter is, 50 cent stock at a shop is usually worse than that (usually...not always) and next time you go to the UK, go try to find something for 50 pence, anything! 50 pence for those books is like getting them 5/$1 here, everything is so frigging expensive in the U.K. seriously, we'd go have some fish 'n chips at some dive and the bill would be $100.

I grew up in Europe, lived in England for 3 years before moving to the US and have family in London, so please spare me the education on how things work across the pond :screwy:

And, no, what I was doing was giving the OP a friendly heads-up that it wouldn't be worth it to list these books on eBay (when he stated that he was probably going to do just that) and that he should just consider them books to be read & enjoyed (which they are). That's it.

I just get tired of the negativity toward the hobby and a good portion of the product this hobby plays with on these boards, that's all. It's ok to own a non-key VF BA book. some moderns are actually decent reads and maybe should be worth a couple of bucks. pick up recent stuff you actually want to read for 80 cents is actually kindah neat (even though it's not so hard to do). Anyway, he's [presumably] a big boy and can see what these sell for on ebay. Unless he bundles them up in lots or has a store with 12,000 dollar/pound books in it, there is no point (likely) in selling them solo, you're right on that point.

And criminey, weren't you the one ripping me when I said you could 95% of what you miss off out of dollar boxes 3 months later?

I just get tired of the negativity toward the hobby and a good portion of the product this hobby plays with on these boards, that's all. It's ok to own a non-key VF BA book. some moderns are actually decent reads and maybe should be worth a couple of bucks. pick up recent stuff you actually want to read for 80 cents is actually kindah neat (even though it's not so hard to do). Anyway, he's [presumably] a big boy and can see what these sell for on ebay. Unless he bundles them up in lots or has a store with 12,000 dollar/pound books in it, there is no point (likely) in selling them solo, you're right on that point.

If you feel like there's a negative vibe on the boards towards moderns, $1 bin pickups or books that aren't HG SA keys, well, that sucks - but it's got absolutely nothing to do with me (who always enjoys going $1 bin hunting, thankyouverymuch), this thread nor my repeated postings of "enjoy the books for what they are, don't waste your money trying to flip them on the 'bay".

Whatever subtext you're reacting to here is entirely of your own making.

And criminey, weren't you the one ripping me when I said you could 95% of what you miss off out of dollar boxes 3 months later?

Sure - it still isn't true, btw :gossip:

Gav never made it as usual meh it must be only 5 min from your house Gav?!?

Yeah but I had to work, money coming in is a bit more important than money going out at the moment :(

I've happily just offloaded the Nemesis 2 for £3.00. No huge profit by any stretch of the imagination but it at least paid for the whole 50p haul.

Plus theres the added bonus that if I let the wife know I've sold anything, no matter what the price, she then doesn't moan when I buy something new.

In simplified woman logic, all purchases = potential profit and the potential resistance to me buying a high Grade UXM 94 and GSX 1 have been significantly reduced.

Shame I didn't get to meet any of you, maybe next time.

Thanks,

Probably give them a read and then dump them on Fleabay (Except the Endsong). Confident I can pull in more than 50p for each :)

Was my first visit to BICS so wasn't sure what to expect. The majority of bargain bins were as usual, tatty, well thumbed copies. I'm very happy with these.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but the 50p books you bought are all, well, 50p books - even the Choker #1 isn't fetching more than a couple of $ on ebay at the moment.

After listing fees, final value fees, and PP fees you'd basically be loosing money on each transaction - if I were you, I'd just enjoy them for what they are: cheap readers :foryou:

umm, they're good buys at that price for someone to, heaven forbid...read!! which is what some people do with these comics. as a flip, yeah, probably break even at best after fees, particularly as singleton issues. also, are you so sure you know the nuances of the UK market? folks over there often tend to pay a little bit of a premium to buy stuff within the UK to avoid US to UK shipping costs. so maybe nemesis 2 is a $3-$5 book over there. but if these were books the OP had thought about purchasing at cover price and is now getting them for 80 cents, that's a win win. i'd be thrilled to get a run of recent walking deads or goons out of a $1 box even though if I tried to sell them after fees and what not there really isn't a profit (I don't think at least).

So how is this different than what I said? :shrug:

I specifically said that if I was the OP "I'd just enjoy them for what they are: cheap readers".

you were pizzing on his corn flakes (or cheerios, depending on where you are). you knew it, that's why you had the disclaimer in there! fact of the matter is, 50 cent stock at a shop is usually worse than that (usually...not always) and next time you go to the UK, go try to find something for 50 pence, anything! 50 pence for those books is like getting them 5/$1 here, everything is so frigging expensive in the U.K. seriously, we'd go have some fish 'n chips at some dive and the bill would be $100.

I grew up in Europe, lived in England for 3 years before moving to the US and have family in London, so please spare me the education on how things work across the pond :screwy:

And, no, what I was doing was giving the OP a friendly heads-up that it wouldn't be worth it to list these books on eBay (when he stated that he was probably going to do just that) and that he should just consider them books to be read & enjoyed (which they are). That's it.

There's free listing for 99p on Ebay UK so providing he covers the paypal fees in his postage cost, he's gonna make a profit.

If they don't sell, he's lost nothing.

I've already lost nothing having sold the Nem 2

I never expected to make quantities of cash on these, and expect to put the remaining books on Fleabay at the 99p starting price. I've been having moderate success with selling off my mid grade 90's drek in the 99p free listings recently.

If they sell, great, probably a tenner to cover the cost of the FF 49 if not, no biggie.