• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some interesting #1's this week...

28 posts in this topic

Marvel has Iron Fist #1, Avengers/Thunderbolts #1, and She-hulk #1 all coming out this week. Hopefully none are as awful as AlphaFlight was (not sure that is possible).

Anyway, my vote for best of the three is Avengers/Thunderbolts. I really like how Busiek writes a story thumbsup2.gif

Alter Ego 34

Avengers/Thunderbolts 1

Cerebus 300 (final issue)

Green Arrow 36

JLA 94 (1st Byrne/Claremont/Ordway)

JSA 59

Marvel Knights "4" 3

Spectacular Spider-Man 11

Ultimate Spider-Man 54

Ultimate X-Men 43

Marvel Masterworks Uncanny X-Men Vol. 3

Not really into the Marvel #1's this week. She-Hulk has some great cover art, but I'm a little concerned by the lack of interior preview art. Kevin Lau will do an ok job on Iron Fist, but his style is much too Manga (coming off of Vampi) for my tastes, so I will pass on that.

Some big milestones this week - Cerebus 300 ends the medium's first 6000+ graphic novel, and JLA 94 marks the return of Claremont & Byrne. Only problem is, does anyone care anymore? Especially coming the same week as a Masterworks collection of their classic work on Uncanny X-Men?

Kev

Yep... Busiek's writing is strong...

First word balloon in the book:

"GEB' NACH, KNECHT. DIESES DORF UND ALLES DARIN SIND JETZT UNSERN."

With that kind of writing, how could you go wrong????

Im only going for the Iron Fist #1 this week of the new titles. Since Im trying to cut down some on the amount I spend on new comics, I've had to cut down the titles I buy on a monthy basis, so its hard for me to think about dropping money on new titles.

Titles I've recently given the axe to include...

Ultimate Spiderman

Nightwing

Robin

JSA

KNIGHTS 4 (ok, its only 2 issues in, but I like UFF better)

Hawkeye

Batman Gotham Knights

Thor

Those on the verge of getting the axe unless improvment is seen....

Captain America (Please give me an artist worth something & I wont drop it)

Iron Man

Green Lantern

Those that are on the must buy list...

Flash

Thanos

Batman

Detective Comics

Batgirl

Green Arrow (Riddler's in town!)

Crush

Wolverine

Punisher

Avengers

JLA

Daredevil

Lone

Walking Dead

Captain America/Falcon

Monolith

Fallen Angel

Dead @ 17

Okay... (which stands for Old Kinderbrook but no one has cared in 100 years)...

Feeling like I had let down my posse by not reading all my Marvel preview books, I just finished She-Hulk 1...

Dude, this book was funny! And the weirdest thing is, the book I would say it is most like is Strangers in Paradise, at least as far as where the humor is coming from...

The art is odd... Jen looks like her face got smushed a bit, almost like an anti-Madureira penciller...

But there is a lot of humor in this book... witty humor... like you used to get with Spidey books... like you still get with books like SIP...

There are tiny little touches in the background art... like a stairway in the background of a bar with a poster on the wall that says "UP" and has tiny stars on it... "UP-STARS"... tongue.gif

The book also includes the funniest vomit scene I have read in quite a while... and I am big on the funny vomit... ask anyone...

So on Wednesday, trundle down to your comic shop... grab a copy off the shelf and read it while you walk around the store... Don't worry, they really don't plan on selling many copies anyway, so they won't care... then put it back and buy something else... the last we need is more witty comics on the shelf so don't encourage Marvel by buying it... 893naughty-thumb.gif

This has been a Public Service Announcement brought to you by Lighthouse... Please drink responsibly... Know when to say "hwarf"...

Avengers / Thunderbolts

Action Comics #813 - 10 copies

Coup D'Etat Afterword

Emma Frost #9

El Cazador Blackj. Tom - 3 copies

Fables #23 - 2 copies

Iron Fist #1 - 3 copies

Incredible Hulk #68

Marvel Knights 4 #3

Punisher The Movie #2

Ultimate Spider-Man #54 - 5 copies

Ultimate X-Men #43 - 3 copies

Marvel has Iron Fist #1, Avengers/Thunderbolts #1, and She-hulk #1 all coming out this week. Hopefully none are as awful as AlphaFlight was (not sure that is possible).

893crossfingers-thumb.gif We can only hope they don't suck as bad as Alpha Flight. I am actually looking forward to IF #1. Never read a single Thunderbolts issue so don't know whether I will pick up Avengers/Thunderbolts #1 or not. Looking at the preview of She-Hulk #1 it has some promise.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not really into the Marvel #1's this week. She-Hulk has some great cover art, but I'm a little concerned by the lack of interior preview art.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She-Hulk preview art

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

That's not too bad, maybe I will pick up a copy after all.

Kev

Hmm well I only get 7 titles in total. Gone are the days of 20-30plus, I look back and alot of the stuff I bought was, well 10_2_10.gif.

Currently buy

Hellblazer

Daredevil

Conan (this book has the most potential of anything Ive seen in quite some time)

Uncanny X-men

X-men

Batman

100 Bullets

I am considering getting Swampthing, because I've always been a fan and read the prelude which tied into the last issue of Hellblazer - still not sure though. At 3-5 bucks a pop I think the big two and the other guys have gotta put out a quality book or Im not throwing good money after bad on it. Its kidna like music, put out a solid CD and Ill buy it and probably your next one on faith. Put out a one good song CD and can anyone say MP3 download. makepoint.gif

Hmm well I only get 7 titles in total. Gone are the days of 20-30plus, I look back and alot of the stuff I bought was, well .

Currently buy:

Hellblazer

Daredevil

Conan (this book has the most potential of anything Ive seen in quite some time)

Uncanny X-men

X-men

Batman

100 Bullets

Nice list... but those X-Men books stick out like sore thumbs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Kev

Ya I know, but I have really enjoyed Grant Morrison's run on New X-men. And I think I will always just buy Uncanny its my one vice, I am 8 books away from the entire run and even when it was cross over do death and I HATED THAT, I still bought it, what can you do, with that title, Im a sheep. baaaaaaaaaaah, baaaaaaaaaaah. flamed.gif

what can you do, with that title, Im a sheep. baaaaaaaaaaah, baaaaaaaaaaah.

No worries, with me it's Amazing Spider-Man.

Morrison's run has been spotty, but overall it's been pretty good. Austen's run on Uncanny though... blechh! tongue.gif

Kev

Avengers / Thunderbolts

Action Comics #813 - 10 copies

Coup D'Etat Afterword

Emma Frost #9

El Cazador Blackj. Tom - 3 copies

Fables #23 - 2 copies

Iron Fist #1 - 3 copies

Incredible Hulk #68

Marvel Knights 4 #3

Punisher The Movie #2

Ultimate Spider-Man #54 - 5 copies

Ultimate X-Men #43 - 3 copies

Ooo, I didn't see El Caz was out this week too! Gotta get that one thumbsup2.gif