• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Art Update - Steve Ditko and Matt Wagner

11 posts in this topic

Very nice Hari, and i dont just mean the Ditko piece either. :applause:

Thanks everyone. The beauty of this hobby is that you can put Steve Ditko and Matt Wagner in the same subject line, and some folks will naturally gravitate to one or the other. They both made significant contributions to the field. I actually think Matt doesn't get enough credit for Grendel's influence. As far as I can tell, the character was the earliest independent protagonist-antagonist character (the character you love to hate, or hate to love), that launched much of what was "hot" in the 80s. Comico Primer #2 came out, after all, in 1982. That was right around the time that Alan Moore started V and Miracleman in the Warrior Magazines across the pond, although those didn't take off in the States until 3 years later when such types of stories had a wider audience.

Very nice Hari, and i dont just mean the Ditko piece either. :applause:

Thanks everyone. The beauty of this hobby is that you can put Steve Ditko and Matt Wagner in the same subject line, and some folks will naturally gravitate to one or the other. They both made significant contributions to the field. I actually think Matt doesn't get enough credit for Grendel's influence. As far as I can tell, the character was the earliest independent protagonist-antagonist character (the character you love to hate, or hate to love), that launched much of what was "hot" in the 80s. Comico Primer #2 came out, after all, in 1982. That was right around the time that Alan Moore started V and Miracleman in the Warrior Magazines across the pond, although those didn't take off in the States until 3 years later when such types of stories had a wider audience.

As a big Grendel fan i couldn't agree more, but it always comes down to character awareness, and unfortunately Grendel has a small pocket of die hard fans but doesnt really get much exposure with the mainstream collecting audiences. Its a shame but i have resigned myself to being one of those small die hard fans :sorry: