• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Golden Age

37 posts in this topic

Let's give this one a try, Masters of Imagination. I have duplicates of this book for some reason. This one is in excellent condition with dust jacket. 176 pages, hard cover. 8.5" x 11.25". 1994 by Mike Benton Original cover price was $29.95. This book profiles the following artists and includes lots and lots of full color illustrations.

Will Eisner

Joe Shuster

Jack Kirby

C.C. Beck

Jack Cole

Carl Barks

Walt Kelly

Basil Wolverton

Harvey Kurtzman

Wallace Wood

Bernard Krigstein

Alex Toth

Steve Ditko

$25 and that includes shipping in the continental US. Outside of US will have to be determined, but we can do it.

39b6225b9da05f2323514110.L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Attention Batman Fans! Entire set; The Untold Legend of the Batman

Here we have a set of cereal premiums from Batman brand cereal, Yum! Copyright on these is 1980. I don't know how they came into my collection, but all three are in near perfect condition. The 1st issue has a very slight crease at the lower left hand corner (you can see it in the scan), otherwise they are all near mint. All have Lopez and Giordano covers. 6" x 9" so they are a little on the small size. I suppose they were supposed to be included with the cereal but I don't think these ever suffered that indignity.

It's not too early to get stuff for Christmas. Avoid the holiday rush. Show someone you care without spending a lot.

The set for $35, tempting huh!

Legends%20Batman%20%231.jpg

Legends%20Batman%20%232.jpg

Legends%20Batman%20%233.jpg

You would not believe all of the questions I got from you folks about that Kangaroo in Choice Comics #1 (:screwy:), so I thought I would give a little more detail on him (I think it's a him) with this description.

Choice Comics #1, December 1941, Great Comics Publications.

This one is a CGC graded 7.0 with "OFF-WHITE Pages" (they really typed it like that too). Cover and marsupial story credits go to Chuck Winters while S.M. Iger gets the editorial knod as he apparently dreamed up this crazy yarn. This is a nice fat 64 page golden age book, a kid felt like he really got something with his Mercury head dime when he bought this book. Now if you like esoteric, slightly weird, non-mainstream, a bit funky, and the occasional odd ball comic character; then you are going to love this book. If you collect marsupial covers, well then just pinch yourself because your ship has come in.

Speaking of ships, that is just how this first issue kicks off and how Kangaroo Man (not his real name we later discover) and Bingo (the roo) arrive in the US. They port in San Francisco to help a professor Stanford battle enemy agents intent on destroying America. I guess there was absolutely nothing going on Down Unda! Jack Brian (Kangaroo dude), daredevil american explorer, found Bingo on the Australian plains as a joey and trained him, so now he is practically human (except for the fact that he is a friggin kangaroo).

He understands Jack's every signal and gesture like he was a soldier. Anyone else wonder why this guy traveled to Australia just to kidnap a joey? Bingo responds to Jack by making a RSP! RSP! noise. But he says that to everything, so who knows if he is really following directions or responding appropriately. Bingo actually jumps out of an air plane and pulls the rip cord to deploy his parachute during this adventure to apprehend the bad guys. He's a fearless marsupial on top of everything else!

After all his hard work he is rewarded with what Jack says is his favorite treat, cod liver oil capsules. Come one now! Even if you were 10 years old you would have a hard time buying this; a Kangaroo that understands the spoken word, jumps out of planes, and likes fish?

This is a very nice book folks, major flaw looks like a blemish on the lower left corner on the blue pant leg. I think it is a slight tear. I have not seen the book out of the holder. Speaking of the holder, the outer shell was cracked in shipping so the inner capsule has been removed, but I have not opened the inner capsule. So in the event you want it re-slabbed it should be pretty straight forward. She's a beauty all right!

Overstreet 2010 price on a 7.0 Choice #1 is ~$700.

My price on this is $525 shipped, with the exceptions noted at the start of this thread. Now all of you stop buggin me about the kangaroo story in Choice Comics.

Choice%20Comics%20%231%20%28CGC%29.jpg

How about a recap of what is sold and what is not...

Hit Comics #11 poor/fair $75 (Headed to the Great White North, eh?)

Captain Aero #5 vg (4.0) $150 (Available, still...)

Blazing Comics #1 apparent f/vf (7.0) $70 (Sold)

Choice Comics #1 vg (4.0) $225 (Available)

Indian Warriors #11 vg (4.0) $35 (Sold)

Dime Comics #1 g/vg (3.0) $90 (Sold)

Toy Town #1 & #6 Lot, vg (4.0) & fine (6.0) respectively $80 (Available)

Taffy #2 good (2.0) $30 (Wiggles and the Nazi ant are headed to Germany)

Masters of Imagination book, excellent condition $25 (Available)

Untold Legends of the Batman Cereal Premium set, all near mint $35 (Available)

Choice Comics #1 CGC f/vf (7.0) $525 (Available)

You would not believe all of the questions I got from you folks about that Kangaroo in Choice Comics #1 (:screwy:), so I thought I would give a little more detail on him (I think it's a him) with this description.

:gossip: It is a him. No pouch.

Nice book btw.