• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Few Golden Age

37 posts in this topic

Per the board convention the first :takeit: will get the book. I will ship anywhere in the continental US via 2-day UPS and the shipping is included in the price of the book.

Adding this also; did not mean to snub the Candians, eh? Shipping to you guys is sometimes a lot more depending on your preference. So add $10 to the list price for shipping to the great white north.

I will do my best to give you an accurate description of the book and major defects and price them accordingly.

Adding this; Payment via PayPal is preferred please.

My name is Phil Barnhart, many of you probably don't know me but a few board members have known me for many many years. References; Jon Berk, Peter Klee, Mick Rabin, Gary Carter... just to name a few folks that most of you likely know.

My name is Phil Barnhart, many of you probably don't know me but a few board members have known me for many many years. References; Jon Berk, Peter Klee, Mick Rabin, Gary Carter... just to name a few folks that most of you likely know.

And for what it's worth, you can add me to the reference list if you want to Phil - our Catman 1 transaction went flawlessly. :angel:

Looking forward to what you have to offer... hm

:banana:SOLD :banana:

First up is Hit #11. I recently procured a quite nice copy via Ebay so this undercopy needs to find a new home. I won't exaggerate on this one, it has a few, let's say issues. It has been viciously trimmed, were talking almost 3/16" all the way around. If that wasn't indignity enough, it received a few more staples to the spine, and then on top of that scotch tape the entire length of the spine. Otherwise the quality of the paper is really pretty nice, the cover colors are very bright and the whites are just a little off-white. The interior pages nice and supple and off white towards the outer margins and whiter toward the interior. OWL 8 and 9 for those that remember that Overstreet card. The book is complete, but beat. Grade is about poor/fair? Maybe that's too harsh. Nice filler copy if you need one until a better one comes along, I have had this one since 1997.

Price $75

Hit%20%2311%20%28150%29.jpg

Next up is a Captain Aero #5, Holyoke Publishing, May 1942.

Nice solid vg (4.0) copy. Issues #4 thorugh #6 are rarely seen for sale. At the very bottom left corner where it appears slightly rounded it looks like a silver fish helped himself to a little snack. There is about a 1/4" bore hole the diameter of the little dude through almost every page in that corner, yet he did not munch on the cover much. There is also a front cover tear about 3/4" long just above the "E" in Keep Em Flyin. Decent page quality, off white (OWL 8), still nice and supple pages.

$150

Captain%20Aero%20%2305.jpg

One of my favorite weird off beat titles, Blazing Comics #1.

Rewl Publications, June 1944. This title features a super hero called the Green turtle who battles the Japanese as they try to take over China. From the splash page; "The venomous octopus that is Japan slithers over China bent on ruthless conquest!" And the splash page artwork features a Japanese characiture octopus slithering across China of course. I have long suspected that L.B. Cole did the covers to the first four issues and the Green Turtle stories, but...

This book surprisingly was restored. Tracy Heft did the work. It is a f/vf appearance now, but probably about g/vg before the work. The certificate is still with the book; Multiple staples removed from book, interior folios separated, tears sealed using suitable adhesives, infilling of missing area on cover using heat-set tissue and appropriate repair papers, inpainting of infilled areas (cover only) using acrylics, rust removed from single original staple, cover reattached. Tracy did a great job on the book, but someone spent $200 making a $75 book look like a $235 book. It is priced accordingly.

$70

Blazing%20%231.jpg

Come on, who doesn't just love a good kangaroo story? Next up on the block is Choice Comics #1

Great Comics Publications, December 1941.

Another kind of weird title with a Roo as side kick (pun intended). That is Kangaroo Man (nope, not kidding) and Bingo (his amazing marcupial) who just arrived in San Francisco to help defend America. Cover art work and feature story done by Chuck Winters and S.M. Iger.

Solid copy with just normal wear associated with handling and time, vg (4.0). Colors are nice, page quality is 8ish on the OWL sclae (off-white). There is more discoloration towards the margins. There are a few cracks along the spine (visible in scan) and a slight tear on the front cover right along the margin of the yellow banner that says Facts*Fiction*Funnies. This is a nice fat 64 pager, you got your dimes worth when you bought this one.

2009 Overstreet has a vg (4.0) Choice #1 at around $330. I'm pricing this one a bit lower...

$225

Choice%20%231.jpg

One of my favorite weird off beat titles, Blazing Comics #1.

Rewl Publications, June 1944. This title features a super hero called the Green turtle who battles the Japanese as they try to take over China. From the splash page; "The venomous octopus that is Japan slithers over China bent on ruthless conquest!" And the splash page artwork features a Japanese characiture octopus slithering across China of course. I have long suspected that L.B. Cole did the covers to the first four issues and the Green Turtle stories, but...

This book surprisingly was restored. Tracy Heft did the work. It is a f/vf appearance now, but probably about g/vg before the work. The certificate is still with the book; Multiple staples removed from book, interior folios separated, tears sealed using suitable adhesives, infilling of missing area on cover using heat-set tissue and appropriate repair papers, inpainting of infilled areas (cover only) using acrylics, rust removed from single original staple, cover reattached. Tracy did a great job on the book, but someone spent $200 making a $75 book look like a $235 book. It is priced accordingly.

$70

Blazing%20%231.jpg

:takeit:

Here is an L.B. Cole western cover.

Indian Warriors #11

Accepted Publications, September 1950.

There are two White Rider Super Horse stories as well as two Bull's-Eye Bill stories and part 1 of Last of the Mohicans (and no it's not what your thinking, it is not the Daniel Day Lewis comic adaptation of the movie by the same name).

Nice solid middle of the road vg (4.0)

$35

Indian%20Warrior%20%2311.jpg

Here is an L.B. Cole western cover.

Indian Warriors #11

Accepted Publications, September 1950.

There are two White Rider Super Horse stories as well as two Bull's-Eye Bill stories and part 1 of Last of the Mohicans (and no it's not what your thinking, it is not the Daniel Day Lewis comic adaptation of the movie by the same name).

Nice solid middle of the road vg (4.0)

$35

Indian%20Warrior%20%2311.jpg

:takeit:

Bears, turtles, kangeroos, super horses (and a mouse making a pickup)

Animal theme :)

Another L.B. Cole cover. This time its Silver Streak and Zoom (the falcon) that swoop in just the nick of time to save the hot chick from the Green Dragon. Also, there is a Green Dragon story in the book and I think L.B. Cole gets the credits on that as well.

Dime Comics #1

Newsbook Publishing, 1945

Structurally the book is a pretty sound very good, but page quality and a couple of tears on the back cover sealed with tape take it down a bit, so g/vg (3.0). The tape might actually be archival and not just Scotch tape. One tear is about 1" and the other is 1/2". Nothing is brittle, but the pages are leaning towards tannish (OWL 7 or so). The front cover where the fields would be white are a good indicator of overall page quality. There is also what looks like a chew by a silver fish that goes into the margin of every interior page by about 1/8", but he missed both front and back covers. I think he moved on to a D.C. book. Overstreet 2009 value is ~$150. I am pricing this one a bit lower.

Adding this bit; This does not show up in the scan, but the cover has a bit of a wrinkle/wave/crease thing going on just below the "A Dime Comic" circle to the first Japanese soldier's face against the gallows.

$120

Dime%20%231.jpg

:banana: :banana:

So in keeping with the animal theme this evening, up next is a trio of funny animal L.B. Cole covers. We have Wiggles the Wonderworm and a Nazi-like ant amongst some other characters. Wiggles is cleverly disguised as an accountant working at Grouch Rat Inc.; he only has to say "omygosh" and he becomes the marvel of the age - - - Wonderworm!

Toy Town #1, Toy Town #6

Toy Town Publications (aka Orbit), 1945 to 1947

These books don't guide for much so your not going to have to pay much. Toy Town #1 is in vg (4.0) shape with main problems being spine stress lines and wear at the staple holes along with a couple of creases on the lower right hand corner. Toy Town #6 is the nicest of the three, a solid fine (6.0) copy with a few spine stress marks and a little tanning towards the outside margins of the front cover. Page quality on both the toy Town books are very nice, whitish and supple.

The Taffy #2 is a little worse for wear. I am calling this a good (2.0) mostly due to the rusty staples that have created a brittle area around them as well as discoloration of the paper. A slight spine roll and some pencil marks makes this one especially hideous. You are basically getting the taffy for free in this group. This one is actually the best book as it has the Hitler and and Wonderworm battle! Oooooh. Update on the Taffy, it got picked from the lot and is heading to German so it is not part of the package any longer. There goes Wiggles and the Nazi ant.

Overstreet 2009 for the Toy Town #1 is ~$80, the #6 is ~$60

My price for the lot...

$80.....

Toy%20Town%20%231.jpg

Toytown%20%236.jpg