• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2004 prices vs. today's prices

86 posts in this topic

Those are not bad all. When I started this thread, I thought prices have actually gone down, especially for the Crisis cover and the X-Men splash.

To directly reply to the above - I am close friends with someone who is very much aware of the Perez market and from his perspective, the key Crisis covers have never gone down. If anything with the #1 having changed hands and now in a black hole collection, the key covers are more lucrative then ever. In his (and my eyes), this was the peak for Perez, and Crisis was a series every bit as memorable for DC collectors as any other storyline that ran through the 80's, so i can see why some would value it way past what i do.

Crisis #7 cover George Perez $75,000 - Based on what i know in terms of offers that have been made in the past, i would have to place it at $100k

Daredevil #43 cover Jack Kirby $75,000 - I would agree with comiconxion and say $80,000-$90,000

Black Goliath #5 cover Gil Kane $2,500 - Again i agree with comiconxion, although i think it would be a solid $3,500 piece.

Batman #255 cover Neal Adams $55,000 - I tried to pry this from the owner back in 2003 with a $35,000 offer, which was rejected. I can see this as a $50,000+ piece as this hasn't surfaced or been offered around for a looong time, but given the times that we live in i would agree that there would probably be some element of trade thrown in the mix.

The Crisis #4 cover has actualy been on sale for the last 5 years via different dealers and individuals. I dont understand why it hasnt been placed in a permenant collection as its not a bad cover. Its just like the Spidey #155 cover that just doesnt want to settle down anywhere.

The only reason that i can think of is that people aren't aware of just how much the other covers (#1,7-10, #12) have sold for or have had offered and therefore have no pricing data to provide a comparison.

You would have to put the key Crisis covers in the same league as the very best of the 80s and 90s, such as the top McFarlane, Lee, Byrne, Miller covers. That would place them at the 75-100K+ range pretty easily. The problem is that this would have to be a guess, as the #7 and #8 covers, arguably two of the ones with historic importance and iconic covers that would garner those prices, are not for sale and unlikely to become available. Just because items haven't sold does not mean you can't make an educated guess based on comparable data; and in this case, you would have to compare to other iconic/historic covers from the same era, and not only to the individual artist's body of work.

You would have to put the key Crisis covers in the same league as the very best of the 80s and 90s, such as the top McFarlane, Lee, Byrne, Miller covers. That would place them at the 75-100K+ range pretty easily. The problem is that this would have to be a guess, as the #7 and #8 covers, arguably two of the ones with historic importance and iconic covers that would garner those prices, are not for sale and unlikely to become available. Just because items haven't sold does not mean you can't make an educated guess based on comparable data; and in this case, you would have to compare to other iconic/historic covers from the same era, and not only to the individual artist's body of work.

I couldnt have said it better myself, although in my opinion the #1 cover is also iconic, not only from the standpoint of being the start of the mini series, but also for the amazing wraparound cover that gave us many posters and reproduced in many places..

Which goes for more, CRISIS #1 cover or SECRET WARS #1 cover?

CRISIS #7 cover or X-MEN #136 cover?

Oooh good one.

I am not aware of the pricing on Secret Wars covers, but i would think Crisis #1 on the basis that the storyline has lasted and been expanded upon with numerous Crisis books coming out over the years, thus making the storyline that much more well known. Whilst the Secret Wars #1 cover is iconic in its own right, i dont think any Zeck pieces outside of Punisher mini series and maybe a Cap cover or two, would fetch thoat kind of price.

As to Crisis #7 and X-Men, well based on what i heard the selling price was, i would say it would be a close call.

Oooh good one.

I am not aware of the pricing on Secret Wars covers, but i would think Crisis #1 on the basis that the storyline has lasted and been expanded upon with numerous Crisis books coming out over the years, thus making the storyline that much more well known. Whilst the Secret Wars #1 cover is iconic in its own right, i dont think any Zeck pieces outside of Punisher mini series and maybe a Cap cover or two, would fetch thoat kind of price.

As to Crisis #7 and X-Men, well based on what i heard the selling price was, i would say it would be a close call.

Based on current sales of Zeck's 'Kraven's Last Hunt' pages, I wonder if any of the covers would play in the $75K ballpark. Or the Cap Annual #8 cover?

I don't see the cover to Secret Wars #1 being in the same league as the cover to Crisis #1.

Oooh good one.

Based on current sales of Zeck's 'Kraven's Last Hunt' pages, I wonder if any of the covers would play in the $75K ballpark. Or the Cap Annual #8 cover?

I don't see the cover to Secret Wars #1 being in the same league as the cover to Crisis #1.

My guess is that 1 or 2 of the Zeck covers to that series would go for big bucks, but probably not in that range.

I'm not sure what the Crisis #1 cover sold for, but most of the "average" Secret Wars covers have typically have traded hands in the $10-$15k range. The #1 is special in that it is larger than twice up. It's been a few years since it sold and I don't see it being sold anytime soon by the current owner so it's probably a moot debate. At the time it sold, I think it sold for more than what the Crisis #1 cover sold for.

The Secret Wars #8 & 10 covers would be the other two that could set records - but also probably not for sale any time soon. So, it's hard to speculate on value. But with the Kraven stuff selling for as much as it has, it has started driving up the price of the other nice Zeck stuff. It's been a few years since any of the prime Zeck covers (Punisher #1, 3, Big Nothing, Cap Annual #8) have traded hands openly so it's hard the gauge the top of the line for Zeck covers, but I agree there haven't been many people willing to pay $75k+ for his covers.

Oooh good one.

CRISIS served dual purposes. It was a DC's answer to SECRET WARS, Marvel's event mini-series. It allowed them to streamline continuity. Success on both counts. Where I think it didn't succeed as well was in its tone-- a bit too self-important for me. SECRET WARS was a mess, but it was an entertaining mess. I definitely looked forward to SECRET WARS more than CRISIS, and that's coming a big Wolfman/Perez NTT fan.

And while there's no doubt CRISIS had a more substantial storyline...is it still relevant? A lot of extraneous continuity got trimmed, but aren't Supergirl and Flash now back in the DC Universe?

I'll start this off by saying I'm a much bigger Perez fan than a Byrne fan. I consider the 3-4 years leading up to (and including) CRISIS to be Perez's prime period. The CRISIS #7 cover, especially, is very popular. But it is, to me, an artistic nod to the superior X-MEN #136 cover. I wouldn't call it an outright swipe, but Perez is at least paying homage to Byrne's cover. As for significance, X-MEN/Dark Phoenix > CRISIS/Supergirl.

Just my opinion, of course...none of that may have any effect on the market values for each.

The CAP cover sold a while back privately. It was the highest price paid (that I know of) for a Zeck cover. I was surprised at the number then...maybe not as much now.

In terms of pure art, maybe not. But, taking nothing away from CRISIS #1, I think SECRET WARS #1 is more memorable. And since the value for both is primarily tied to nostalgia (as is most of the comic art we collect), that does count for something.

Yeah, when the Kraven books sold as a lot, I had valued the covers at $25-40k/each and the pages on average at $1k each. After seeing what the pages sold for, I'd have to re-evaluate those covers' value.

Well my friend was the underbidder on the Spidey Kraven lot when it came up a few years ago, and after speaking to him yesterday, he said that he wouldnt pay as much for the Spidey covers as he would for the Crisis #1 cover.

Oooh good one.

CRISIS served dual purposes. It was a DC's answer to SECRET WARS, Marvel's event mini-series. It allowed them to streamline continuity. Success on both counts. Where I think it didn't succeed as well was in its tone-- a bit too self-important for me. SECRET WARS was a mess, but it was an entertaining mess. I definitely looked forward to SECRET WARS more than CRISIS, and that's coming a big Wolfman/Perez NTT fan.

And while there's no doubt CRISIS had a more substantial storyline...is it still relevant? A lot of extraneous continuity got trimmed, but aren't Supergirl and Flash now back in the DC Universe?

I'll start this off by saying I'm a much bigger Perez fan than a Byrne fan. I consider the 3-4 years leading up to (and including) CRISIS to be Perez's prime period. The CRISIS #7 cover, especially, is very popular. But it is, to me, an artistic nod to the superior X-MEN #136 cover. I wouldn't call it an outright swipe, but Perez is at least paying homage to Byrne's cover. As for significance, X-MEN/Dark Phoenix > CRISIS/Supergirl.

Just my opinion, of course...none of that may have any effect on the market values for each.

As both a big Marvel Fan and DC fan i know that 1984-1985 was a time of great excitement around these 2 series. I agree that Secret Wars was just a bit of fun whilst Crisis was trying to set-up what was to come (Superman/WW/Flash etc) whilst simultaneously removing 20 years of multiple earth issues.

Yes you are also correct in saying that a lot of Crisis is not currently relevent as continuity has been played with over the last 10 years, but for the first 15 odd years, Crisis was a must read and c'mon you know how important a storyline is when everyone refers to it for many years to come, even if it is just in terms of saying "Post Crisis/Pre Crisis"

I imagine the six Kraven's Last Hunt covers have much more upside than any of the Crisis covers.

Surprised by this statement. To each their own, of course, but I'm curious to hear whether others agree with this statement.

Supergirl was a major character, and her demise was truly memorable in that issue. I agree the cover is a comon swipe since Michelangelo's Pieta (that's right, the homage is to Michalangelo, not any comic artist, including Byrne or Starlin). And, as for The Flash, Crisis was the end of the Barry Allen Flash, who was the first and most remembered, and around since Showcase #4.

I'm a huge Kraven Last Hunt fan as well and had made a run (with others) for the six books when they were available, but was outbid at the time. Some of those covers are classic and memorable, but I think over time would not carry the same weight. They've gotten a bit of a boost with the pages/interiors moving recently, but again over time I'm not sure they are covers that'll continue to escalate to the same degree as the key Crisis covers. Just my opinion, but I think many would agree.

Yes you are also correct in saying that a lot of Crisis is not currently relevent as continuity has been played with over the last 10 years, but for the first 15 odd years, Crisis was a must read and c'mon you know how important a storyline is when everyone refers to it for many years to come, even if it is just in terms of saying "Post Crisis/Pre Crisis"

Yes, agreed, very important to our generation of comics fans. But going forward? Harder to say. Even Barry Allen Flash is back. Will this mean anything for 2024 prices? By then, I would guess that the value in the CRISIS covers will have more to do with George Perez (and how his body of work is viewed) than with any effect on DC continuity or even nostalgia. As a Perez fan, I'm optimistic that his art, especially his best art, will still be appreciated by future comics fans.