• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Halloween Idea.

24 posts in this topic

OK next week is trick or treat night in my neighborhood and we usually get about 100 to 130 kids. The candy is ready so no worries there, but what I was thinking of doing is giving away comics with the candy. I have a lot of the old Marvel team-up, Marvel Tales, Superboy, etc. My question is has anyone else done this and if so what was the reaction?

Yes, and they will leave and call their friends to swarm your house.

Kids love comics for Halloween. Be sure you get extra books ready because your traffic will increase.

Every year I have put a box of kid friendly comics - the Marvel and DC comics based on the animated shows and Archie comics are what I usually give out. Last year I started putting them on a spinner rack. Sometimes parents choose comics for their kids and sometimes they will choose ones for themselves.

Every year I have put a box of kid friendly comics - the Marvel and DC comics based on the animated shows and Archie comics are what I usually give out. Last year I started putting them on a spinner rack. Sometimes parents choose comics for their kids and sometimes they will choose ones for themselves.

Spinner rack is a great idea.

If only I had a spinner rack.

I was thinking of just laying them out on a table and let the kid choose what they want. I don't have many Archie books, but like I said I have a lot of old Marvel Team-up, Batman, Ewoks, Droids, etc. I figure that time period would be good for the kids.

I've been thinking of doing this, too, but I worry that kids, or the parents, won't like them and would instead want candy. It never crossed my mind to give both. That's exactly what needs to happen.

So, what types of comics does everyone give? Moderns? Old beat up copies from long ago? Do you give the same types of books to the younger kids, too?

That's a great idea...I thnk I'm gonna piggy back on this as well. I have a two long boxes full of books I'd love to give away...plus it helps promote the hobby. Awesome idea!

this does seem like a fine idea. i may try this too instead of helping to promote tooth decay. let's face it, in england the last thing we need to be doing is making work for the tooth fairy.

it does seem amazing to me that promoting comic books in the states is necessary, considering its the home of the comic book. i would have thought american kids were still very much into them.

in england i would guess that about 98% of young children have never read a 'proper' comic book, i.e. an imported american comic of any kind.

I've been thinking of doing this, too, but I worry that kids, or the parents, won't like them and would instead want candy. It never crossed my mind to give both. That's exactly what needs to happen.

So, what types of comics does everyone give? Moderns? Old beat up copies from long ago? Do you give the same types of books to the younger kids, too?

I have all sorts of books to give from the old Classics Illustrated to X-men Adventures. I will also handout candy, I know the reason the kids come around so I'm not going to change that part of the equation. I have tried to find books that are OK for all ages. That being said I plan on having them sitting on a table outside and letting the kids and their parents choose a book. That way they know what they are getting, and can pass on offer if they so choose. The only flaw in this plan is a windy night, which has a good chance of happening.

it does seem amazing to me that promoting comic books in the states is necessary, considering its the home of the comic book. i would have thought american kids were still very much into them.

Due to direct distribution, the days of kids picking up comics at a 7-11 or on a trip to the supermarket with mom are long gone. They're also hideously expensive (to a kid). If you want comics, you have to go to a comic book store. There's only one within 75 miles of where I live, and it's a creepy place to me, and I'm 38. I can't see parents wanting to take their kids into that dungeon.