• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celebrate the Sweet Science - Post your Boxing Covers!

38 posts in this topic

I've been picking up a number of REH boxing pulps lately, and it gave me the idea for this thread. During the first half of the 20th century, boxing (along with baseball and horseracing) was one of the top spectator sports in the US. It seems hard to imagine today as the Sweet Science finds itself relegated to almost niche status, but there were times in the past when certain prize fights trancended mere sport to become significant social and political events. One of these, the second Joe Louis-Max Schmeling fight took place in June of 1938 - the cover date for Action Comics 1.

Boxing's former status as one the premiere sports in the country, along with it's violent and action-oriented nature, made it a popular subject for comic artists during the GA and examples of the pugilistic art, from depictions of real-life champions such as Dempsey and Louis to the fictional exploits of Joe Palooka, probably adorned more comic book covers than any other sport, including baseball. So enough preamble - let's see some examples of Four Color Fistiana!

Surprisingly, this is the only FC cover with a boxing theme that I can remember.

The lady at bottom right is having too much fun.

Cool, I've never seen that one before. You're right about the lady in the front row - what's up with her? hm