• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Celebrate the Sweet Science - Post your Boxing Covers!

38 posts in this topic

Jeff has Jack Dempsey magazines with Robert E. Howard stories...I have a Jack Dempsey magazine with stories by George Shute and Marcus Griffin. :P:sorry:

jackdempsey.jpg

But it has Al Jolson. (shrug)

What year is that BZ? The JDFM series is 1934 and only lasted for three issues.

Jeff has Jack Dempsey magazines with Robert E. Howard stories...I have a Jack Dempsey magazine with stories by George Shute and Marcus Griffin. :P:sorry:

jackdempsey.jpg

But it has Al Jolson. (shrug)

What year is that BZ? The JDFM series is 1934 and only lasted for three issues.

The Jack Dempsey Sports Magazine is from 1938.

I didn't know you were a Jolson fan. :baiting:

Nice hat trick, Theagenes :hail:

Thanks Scrooge. It wasn't easy - it took a lot of patience, some haggling, and an extensive network of creative saved ebay searches. I also had to be quick on the draw to beat out the other hardcore REH collectors who also have extensive saved ebay searches. :)

JackDempseysFightGroup.jpg

Thanks BZ! And to answer your question, I have read these and most of the Sailor Steve Costigan stories in the past, but since I picked up all these boxing pulps I've started rereading them all in chronological order. They really are great fun. If you've never read REH's humorous works before, I highly recommend both the Steve Costigan series and his Breckinridge Elkins series (humorous westerns). Very different than his weird fiction or horror and imo represents some of his best work. Most of them are available at Gutenberg Australia for free online. (thumbs u

Speaking of the "Picturized Life Story of Joe Louis," here's a fun recent pick-up. Not a comic book, but it is full of illustrated cartoons of Joe Louis, along with a text bio and photos. This was published in Chicago in 1935, early in the Brown Bomber's career -- right after he beat Primo Carnera, but he fought Schmeling for the first time.

JoeLouisOwnStoryfc.jpg

JoeLouisOwnStoryint01.jpg

JoeLouisOwnStoryint02.jpg

JoeLouisOwnStoryint03.jpg

JoeLouisOwnStoryint04.jpg