• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fantastic Four #48-50.....

28 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, :hi:

I have never had the chance to read Fantastic Four #48-50. My question is are they a good read? Does anyone know if they are available online to read for free? Also, what other issues or series have good reading featuring Silver Surfer and/or Galactus? I have been a Marvel fan for years but really don't know much of the back stories on either character. Are these issues reprinted anywhere other then Essentials or Masterworks? Thanks for the input guys, I have been debating cracking open my FF #48 9.4 but I don't have a #49 or #50 to continue the story and really would hate to damage my #48!

I have never had the chance to read Fantastic Four #48-50.

Yes, but if you're going to read those, broaden your horizons a little bit are read from about #39-60. Best run ever.

At the very minimum include #51, which is the best single issue in the the series.

I have been debating cracking open my FF #48 9.4 but I don't have a #49 or #50 to continue the story and really would hate to damage my #48!

No need to do that...that's just not an option in my opinion. Leave it slabbed and protected.

Check out the digital copies if you just want to read the stories (if you can handle not touching the comic or smelling the comic)....

Here is FF48...you just need to join the Marvel site...it's free then download the digital copy for a buck or two...then read away.

https://subscriptions.marvel.com/digitalcomics/view.htm?iid=3345

I have never had the chance to read Fantastic Four #48-50.

Yes, but if you're going to read those, broaden your horizons a little bit are read from about #39-60. Best run ever.

At the very minimum include #51, which is the best single issue in the the series.

Issues 39-60 storyline/artwork... :cloud9::headbang:

Try these, they're cheap and readily available in low grade:

MGC35.jpg

MGC36.jpg

MGC37.jpg

This is a good route to read the stories.These were the first time I read the SS/Galactus arc and I still like these covers as much as the originals.

Marvel also reprinted #48-50 as a mini trade with a new Ron Lim cover back in mid 2000's (The Coming of Galactus). Not sure how readily available it is but i would think that it would be cheap.

...this is the info I was looking for! But after going back and looking at the covers to #39-60 as was suggested I want to read all them as well! The Inhumans, Daredevil, Doom...looks like a good run! (thumbs u

Marvel also reprinted #48-50 as a mini trade with a new Ron Lim cover back in mid 2000's (The Coming of Galactus). Not sure how readily available it is but i would think that it would be cheap.

...this is the info I was looking for! But after going back and looking at the covers to #39-60 as was suggested I want to read all them as well! The Inhumans, Daredevil, Doom...looks like a good run! (thumbs u

I completely agree with this, it's a superb run. I would however suggest that you start at around # 33 rather than # 39. (thumbs u

I completely agree with this, it's a superb run. I would however suggest that you start at around # 33 rather than # 39. (thumbs u

For me it would have to be #44 as its starts off with the intro of the Inhumans and just grows and grows in strength from that point.

For me it would have to be #44 as its starts off with the intro of the Inhumans and just grows and grows in strength from that point.

Personally I think that the intro of Dragon Man (back when he was actually portrayed as a serious threat) and the Frightful Four with Medusa plus the Dr Doom/Daredevil story start the build up and introduce a lot of the elements that are integral a few issues down the road. 2c

I can see your point, but the art really starts to gel with the story from around issue #44. At issue #33, it just doesnt seem like the classic Kirby that i associate with Fantastic Four.

I agree - I was never fond of Ayers, Bell or Stone. Sinnott didn't start the title full time until issue #44. The pentultimate Kirby inker IMO.

I can see your point, but the art really starts to gel with the story from around issue #44. At issue #33, it just doesnt seem like the classic Kirby that i associate with Fantastic Four.

I agree - I was never fond of Ayers, Bell or Stone. Sinnott didn't start the title full time until issue #44. The pentultimate Kirby inker IMO.

I think Ayers got into his own stride with Sgt. Fury, which is highly underated from an artistic perspective.

I get what you're saying. (thumbs u I'd say that the title started picking up steam in the thirties and hit its stride in the forties and kept the pace going till after the Dr Doom with the Silver Surfers power story. The artwork, as you say didn't get to the higher standard till part way through the forties. The introduction of the Inhumans was one of the earliest stories that I read when I was old enough to appreciate the stories and it left a big impression on me.

I get what you're saying. (thumbs u I'd say that the title started picking up steam in the thirties and hit its stride in the forties and kept the pace going till after the Dr Doom with the Silver Surfers power story. The artwork, as you say didn't get to the higher standard till part way through the forties. The introduction of the Inhumans was one of the earliest stories that I read when I was old enough to appreciate the stories and it left a big impression on me.

Again from my perspective, i really loved the stories way past the Surfer/Doom storyline. It was at issue #101 that i started to think that the stories started to slow down and not return to their former glory until Byrne took over.

Again from my perspective, i really loved the stories way past the Surfer/Doom storyline. It was at issue #101 that i started to think that the stories started to slow down and not return to their former glory until Byrne took over.

For me, it was the seventies to eighties where my interest starts to wane. There are some good ones in there after that but as a whole, it doesn't keep me coming back to it like the earlier issues. I did really like the Submariner/Magneto story (think it was # 102 - 104?)

Try these, they're cheap and readily available in low grade:

MGC35.jpg

MGC36.jpg

MGC37.jpg

When I was growing up in the 70's my favorite comics were MARVEL'S GREATEST COMICS, MARVEL TALES and MARVEL TRIPLE FEATURE. If I was on a budget, I would scoop up any of those 3 over anything that was new.

Those books introduced me to those great Silver age stories that I missed by about 10 years!

As for the Galactus trilogy...Stan and Jack at their best. You have to check out the Marvel Masterwork volume. FF 44-60 was a golden age for the Fantastic Four.