• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sketch Covers...A good thing or a negative nancy?

40 posts in this topic

Dan was telling me how Van Sciver hated sketch covers and now he draws so many its insane.

Ethan disliked the stock on Fallen Sons but I guess he has changed his mind cause Mr.Mylar was able to get me in on a Full Figure Cap on a Fallen Son with his latest opportunity.

Dan was telling me how Van Sciver hated sketch covers and now he draws so many its insane.

Ethan disliked the stock on Fallen Sons but I guess he has changed his mind cause Mr.Mylar was able to get me in on a Full Figure Cap on a Fallen Son with his latest opportunity.

hm

Does that mean there is a van Sciver Fallen Son that will be looking for a new home soon?

I had forgotten that a lot of artists do dislike the paper quality on the blanks. I've also had some that were surprised when I handed them the book. Talent Caldwell initially said "no" but when I let him feel of the the Image United cover, he changed his mind. Same with Phil Noto, he wouldn't do a Fallen Son but did take a Marvels Project. So you may find that artists that "don't like the paper quality on those" will change their mind once you allow them to feel of it.

Yeah, sketch covers have definitely changed the marketplace quite a bit. That being said I think where it's hit hard is for those people looking for more detailed con sketches.

I think most artists are willing to do free profiles headshots, or something similar if they are sketching at all. It's rare that if you had a artist who isn't already drawing something (at least a little sketch in a book) that won't give you something, in my experience, almost always for free.

However, a full body sketch, or even two characters, etc. costs a lot more today then it did a few years ago. whether it's going on a blank, in your book or on an 11x17 board. 500 for a full body sketch would've been outrageous 3-5 years ago, but now there are a growing handful of artists that can easily charge (and get this), much less than they'd get for a published interior page in most instances. I'm not picking on these guys but the increases I've seen over the years from some modern guys is amazing. At the same time, they're usually close to market prices. They've clearly done their homework on ebay.

And let's not even talk about what's happen to Adam Hughes' prices of the past 3 years...that's just disgusting to me, but more power to him for getting paid.

I remember the first time I ever met a few guys, they sketched for free for me. Frank Cho, Olivier Coipel, Darwyn Cooke, Now, I'd probably have to pay 250+ if they'll sketch at all. I think Cho and Darwyn have less than 10 SS sketch covers done between them so it goes well beyond those guys that will even work on the blanks.

yea in terms of paper quality, for Olivier Coipel he hates doing sketchcovers now after he did mine at fanexpo/dragon con but the quality of the book i gave him was terrible and for that im sorry lol he found my book very hard to work on but it wasn't exactly an MP or Avengers blank, it was stone age stuff

yea in terms of paper quality, for Olivier Coipel he hates doing sketchcovers now after he did mine at fanexpo/dragon con but the quality of the book i gave him was terrible and for that im sorry lol he found my book very hard to work on but it wasn't exactly an MP or Avengers blank, it was stone age stuff

What did you give him a Zero Hour?

I have a few of those and a few others that I take with me to shows but never wind up getting sketched on just because I think I can get something so much better if I just let them sketch it out on their sketch paper.

if an artist hasn't worked on one before they may be hesitant to try a new medium; especially for someone at a show where if they screw up it's not like they can just grab another piece of paper to start drawing on.

The paper on sketch covers can also be a little different than what a lot of people are used to.

This I have seen in person. I asked Eric Basaldua (Ebas) to do a Secret Invasion sketch cover for me. The first variants were not the easiest to sketch on and he was not overly pleased at first with the way the cover was taking ink. In the end it came out gorgeous but the next time I saw him he really didn't want to draw on one again.

I have 0 interest in sketch covers and I wanted a sketch I would much rather have it on a Baird than a comic.