• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Damn, This place makes me.......

50 posts in this topic

i'm more envious of people with collections that are actually accesible, in order, etc. my comic room has gotten so crowded i don't even have the space to organize it anymore and i can forget about actually finding anything.

too much junk coming in, not enough going out

i'm more envious of people with collections that are actually accesible, in order, etc. my comic room has gotten so crowded i don't even have the space to organize it anymore and i can forget about actually finding anything.

You've accuratlely described my current condition..., :P

One of the weird things about losing everything is it makes you a minimalist reguardless if you want to be or not..so embrace the stuff love the stuff..and if you get blocked in by stacks of comics..send me some..I have 3 empty rooms and an empty basement now..plenty of room for "stuff"

If it were not for this site and the amazing and varied collections and collectors, I am certain I would have already thrown in the towel and quit collecting.

I know I can never go after so many of the books that I love, however enjoying the collections of other vicariously inspires me to continue collecting the books in my sights.

I take comfort in the fact that when I owned a brick and mortar store so many really awesome books passed through my hands..even though I can no longer claim I have over a quarter million books (when I had a store and warehouse) I don't have to haul constant long boxes and be bagging and boarding and grading 24-7..on the other hand I am pretty miffed that the peeps who took over the location have made a mint turning it into a head shop..and I wonder if the warehouse is still full of comics or if they disposed of them all..

Plus the people I sold the keys too like my ASM#1 and AF15 et..were really people who enjoyed them not bought them to flip. The people I let cherry pick my collection were not high roller dealer types but just regular guys that were favorite customers of mine..I made them unforgetable sweet deals and maybe those books are still with them and they will remember me when they look at them.. Plus if I still had those books they would have been destroyed with the rest of my books in the fire and I still wouldn't have them..

I would sort of know if they ever got sold due to the fact they had a particular pedigree sort of deal where they all had the same thing written on each cover..so I could tell if it were my books up for sale..

I do miss the Green Lantern Showcase but again I still wouldn't have it even if I hadn't sold it..so..

I do love looking at everyones cool stuff..drooling over their buys..

the only thing I miss about owning old books is the reading of them..yes I did read them all..

Something about flipping through an old valuable book is cool..

vicariously looking at some folks collections is just great..I am glad we have a civilised forum where folks can share their goodies and let us see them..without worrying about strangers physically pawing their cool books..

I will maybe get more books someday..I really really appreciate board member FingFangFoom helping me out by sending me a bunch of books,,and some of you who sent my husband some books (including Fing) It was such a sweet gesture..

really touched my heart..I know the books weren't cheap..

A lot of people collect based on future probably worth or investing..I just like to collect because the fun part is hunting bargaining and getting a deal..and for me I like taking an expensive book and if possible find the original artist or inker/writer or someone associated and have them sign it..some people are shocked I would want someone to scribble on a $1500 book..I just think it is awesome..

I do miss my books that were scribbled on by legends who are no longer with us..that is sad because I can never ever replace the books written on by Mart Nodell and his wife or other great artists that have passed away..

But for me it's not how much the book costs or will be worth in the future..it is just nifty that is is old and cool..or the story may be special to me or whatever..

collecting is a bug infectious..a neat desk or workspace is just screaming for me to find stuff to dress it up lol

Of course again most people think I am crazy..lol whatever..

Don't worry about it SS .... the people here are for the most part "lifers" and your collection will grow as the years go by. Its not a race...... its a joy :cloud9:

Gotta agree with Mike.

Take your time. Buy quality books that appeal to you and you will soon be the next GhostVillage.

And heck, if this is your biggest problem you are blessed.

yeah that is true..Like I say when someone apologizes for something slight like putting mayo on my hamburger when I asked for it plain..if that is the worst problem I have today..THANKS!

I have known collectors who sell their entire collection because it was "finished" and then start from scratch on something new.

I know I have said I won't actively collect again but I know the first con I go to I will probably be upside down digging through longboxes under a table looking for something nifty..

Just go with what you want and enjoy and you can't go wrong..

It's just stuff, guys. Be content with what you have. If you can acquire stuff you want, great, but don't worry yourself over it.

Despite what some folks desperately want you to believe, no one is a better person because of the quantity or quality of the things he owns.

It's just stuff, guys. Be content with what you have. If you can acquire stuff you want, great, but don't worry yourself over it.

Despite what some folks desperately want you to believe, no one is a better person because of the quantity or quality of the things he owns.

Whaat? :o That's it, I'm ending it tonight.., :sorry:

...........Jealous!!! I thought my collection was nice until I joined here earlier this year! Every day I am on here I do all I can not to put myself in debt by buying things... :gossip: Foolkillers sale thread is driving me nuts! Some very nice books on here, Cheetahs and Ghost Towns sets make me day dream a lot! lol ....and then theirs Captain Tripps too! doh!

Stop investing in ASM #194 in 9.8, you'll be much happier :baiting:

And don't be jealous of Capt. Tripps. He's a lawyer who was disbarred for stealing money from grandmothers to obtain his collection/business. Special place in hell for him.

I agree. It's a process. Keep at it and eventually you'll be surprised how much of it you have ... I now own books I never thought I would when I started 10 years ago :D ... and I don't live in a cardboard carton yet.

And don't be jealous of Capt. Tripps. He's a lawyer who was disbarred for stealing money from grandmothers to obtain his collection/business. Special place in hell for him.

-------------

if i'm remembering the same person i don't think that's exactly true. i think he sat on other peoples' money for way too long before forwarding it to them (basically giving himself interest free loans) and intermingled his funds with client funds in the same bank account, which is a big big big no no. i don't remember outright theft being one of the charges. though i might be confusing him with someone else who was disbarred.

No, you remember the facts correctly. The slow payments and the repeated co-mingling were enough for the disbarment.

For most on the boards, details are not important ...

Agreed details are not necessary,not for us to know.