• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Core Collection Drawdown

38 posts in this topic

As some of you know, I have been quietly paring down the collection over the last year mostly through private sales and a couple Craigslist deals. Started with 65 or so long-boxes, assorted Diamond boxes, and just comics found in the damnest places. Now I'm down to around 30 long-boxes which contain the core collection and comics I've bought over the last 5 years or so (the misc longs as I lovingly call them). Today, I started going through those boxes and separating the keepers and non-keepers. I had been secretly dreading doing so as I'd gone through the collection about 6-7 years ago and these were the keepers. Still too many comics in my opinion though and having the room is more important than just having them take space and rarely be looked at. What I found is I'm not as attached to some of these comics as I previously thought. Don't get me wrong, I still love comics but it doesn't seem important anymore to have full runs or genres and now look at individual issues and their importance to me. Also, I've found I have many multiples of issues that either I had forgotten about or thought I had only one issue of. Pretty big waste of money. So far I'm finding I'm saving one long-box of keepers for every four I'm going through...

To get to the point ...it really is kind of liberating knowing what I once thought was important as far as what I desired in comics isn't really these days. And it seems like a weight has been lifted in a way. Maybe it's guilt or a hoarder's mentality but it sure is nice to realize all these boxes I've shuttled around over the years will finally be gone...and the collection will finally be something managable again...

Jim

Wow, 30 longboxes still seem like a lot to me. At one point I had 24 longboxes and sold a bunch to about 11 longs. I don't even remember what I sold, so I have no remorse except that I wish I kept my SA War books I sold early on in my collecting days.

Wow, 30 longboxes still seem like a lot to me. At one point I had 24 longboxes and sold a bunch to about 11 longs. I don't even remember what I sold, so I have no remorse except that I wish I kept my SA War books I sold early on in my collecting days.

Yeah and when I had 50-60+ longs it usually completely took up space in a spare bedroom...and as you know, I had to move these every time I PCS'd. They were a pain to prepare for the moves each time but I, thought, it was worth it...now not so much...

Jim

I went overseas three times with the collection and luckily only had one instance where two longboxes and the comics inside were damaged...

I have had two TVs trashed during those move though... :o

Jim

When I ETS'd, I only had one short box at the time (as I only re-started collecting while I was out-processing). I was fortunate as I can only imagine the stress PCSing + Comic Collection would be now, especially after we found a fire poker mixed in with my dress blues and the tiara my wife wore on our wedding day packed into one of my jump boots.

meh

And here I thought my collection was big with a whopping 4 long boxes, 3 short boxes, a small stack of slabs, and about 50+ graphic novels.

:o

65 long boxes down to 30 :applause:

Was probably tough but I'm sure you're glad now.

I have a friend that probably has 60+ long boxes. He collects everything. I think at a certain point it actually becomes a sickness and not collecting. The idea of not wanting or having something seems crazy to him. I don't see the point of having 60 boxes in a room that are all in a big pile full of comics you almost never look at.

After first seeing his collection I went home and started organizing stuff for sale. Had a couple of garage sales and blew stuff out for real cheap. It was great.

65 long boxes down to 30 :applause:

Was probably tough but I'm sure you're glad now.

I have a friend that probably has 60+ long boxes. He collects everything. I think at a certain point it actually becomes a sickness and not collecting. The idea of not wanting or having something seems crazy to him. I don't see the point of having 60 boxes in a room that are all in a big pile full of comics you almost never look at.

After first seeing his collection I went home and started organizing stuff for sale. Had a couple of garage sales and blew stuff out for real cheap. It was great.

At this point I think I'll be down to 5-6 longs after I get rid of the rest... :grin:

I didn't collect everything but I did/do have ALOT of multiples....

And as far as a sickness, I'm starting to think I agree. I must have been out of control. Maybe I'll ask my ex... :grin:

Jim

I've brought up the idea to sell more stuff or slow down on his buying and it actually upsets him a little. Just the idea of selling his "collection" stuff bothers him. I didn't suggest he sell everything but try to focus on a few main titles but nope, he still feels the need to own every issue of Rocket Racoon :sick: .

joe_camel-sexual2.jpg

rehab is for quitters :baiting:

:eyeroll: I'm trying to cut down on my smoking right now. Only had 3 so far today :headbang:
I had one at lunch. But I might sneak into the garage for another one. I'm still coming down from deer hunting. The only time I smoke anymore is deer season and elk season. And I don't draw tags every year.

:thumbsup:

I've brought up the idea to sell more stuff or slow down on his buying and it actually upsets him a little. Just the idea of selling his "collection" stuff bothers him. I didn't suggest he sell everything but try to focus on a few main titles but nope, he still feels the need to own every issue of Rocket Racoon :sick: .

I understand the mentality actually. He put in alot of effort to "build" his run and the thought of selling them after he's accomplished it is pretty much a self-defeating attitude. In his mind, to sell them negates the time he spent accumulating and finding the comics.

No one wants to think they were wasting their time building a collection/run so they keep them and save themselves the guilt in knowing they were really just focused on an endeavor that really didn't mean all that much to them after the fact...

In my mind, I could rationalize having so many comics and multiples when I was into trying to figure out the MJ/NDS inserts. I bought every insert comics I could find trying to figure it out. When I finally did, I found I had two collections...one with insert comics and the other without. And a load of multiple issues I otherwise wouldn't have bought...too much time and money on my hands apparently...

Jim

How can one have too many comics? Are you not a collector? I'm not saying buy everything there is but the comics you bought you must have enjoyed. Why get rid of them? Are you losing interest in the hobby?

What's going to happen is the over the years you'll just re-buy those comics again. Trying to get your collection down to a certain number of boxes just tells me you are no longer interested in this hobby.

I'm assuming you are then no longer purchasing anything because if you did, your collection will grow.

How can one have too many comics? Are you not a collector? I'm not saying buy everything there is but the comics you bought you must have enjoyed. Why get rid of them? Are you losing interest in the hobby?

What's going to happen is the over the years you'll just re-buy those comics again. Trying to get your collection down to a certain number of boxes just tells me you are no longer interested in this hobby.

I'm assuming you are then no longer purchasing anything because if you did, your collection will grow.

Denial? :juggle:

At one point with the brick and mortar store I had over a quarter million books but probably about 30 boxes were all quarter and dime boxes lining the baseboards of the entire store. Then there were stacks of boxes 50 cent books $1 books and so on until you worked up to the "back room" where all the really good stuff was..then there was a warehouse a two bedroom duplex filled to the brim with boxes..I lived in one side books lived in the other.

So all that went away years ago..I really don't miss it because it was impossible to know what all was in there.

I was down to maybe 15 long boxes 5 or so short myself (not counting my magazine and vintage mens mag collections) and my husband maybe had 20-30

now since the fire my husband has maybe 6 I have none..

I find myself missing only a few of my favorites and some of the more expensive ones just hurt to lose but I didn't "love them"

I have one slabbed comic and a handful given to me by a board member here. I did find one comic a friend gave me in a drawer untouched by the fire with the birthday card tucked inside.

I am hesistant to start collecting again..on the one hand I have had plenty of keys pass through my hands over the years..so I had them already. On the other..recollecting my favorites would be collecting "different books"

Not the ones I hunted down and bargained for over the years at this shop or that..or ones that were gifts for my bridal shower or birthdays..

So they really wouldn't be the same.

My husband is actively looking to re-collect all his ducks and hulks but I just don't feel the spark of it like I used to.

I still buy comics....I bought one here just this week...

But I've come to realize that just "having" comics is a major pain in the . I assume, and correct me if I'm wrong, that your collection is small. Having 65+ longboxes of comics takes up ALOT of room. And no one has the time to enjoy them all individually. They take up space and you may see them all only a couple times over a couple years. Just knowing you own them isn't working for me anymore. How often do you actually look through your comics? How often do you consult them for research? Or to reread? Likely, you have them for the self-satisfactory mentality that you own them. That may work for you but after awhile you see, in my opinion, that's it's a burden that really doesn't mean all that much other than a self-satisfying experience.

It's a solitary endeavor that really doesn't bring much satisfaction over time when you're the only one who cares or your collecting goals have been acheived and you're looking for another genre or age to collect. Once that happens, the achievement really hasn't really meant all that much...

You can love comics and not own everything related to the age you collect...oftentimes knowing the comic/story exists would be enough to talk with a fellow collector. Pulling the comic from your collection doesn't add much other than showing off...

Jim

I think I would really enjoy if I had just one of my old spinner racks with my well read favorites and maybe a long box of my favorite gold and silver..

I had some framed but they were more decor than a reflection of my collecting taste. I would like to have some now for the new apartment..(I decorate with comic book themes)

Aside from comics I would love to find just to sell.

But yeah once you get to a certain point they are not as exciting.

Especially if you have loads of collections that were purchased from others and they are not really your thang..

In the past, I may have bought and entire collection for just a few issues (like 15 long boxes to get get a Little Archies #1 and a couple of Showcases to sell) then I have heaps of old comics but they aren't really "special to me".

Or one time I bought long boxes so super cheap but I bought like 20 I never really even read a single one I put them out at the flea market.

But if someone gives me a book as a gift I remember that person when I see it so it makes it special. The one book I saved was from a dear friend a misc. issue I have NO idea why he chose to send me that book..but when I look at it I say "Awww Buster44 gived it to me I love that guy!" Just like when I look at my new slabbed comic and go.."John is a sweetheart what a nice guy!"

I loved to aquire in the past before my forced minimalization I would be considered a hoarder. I am not a speculator to speak, I don't buy crumby comics to wait on them to be valuable. But I did not like to sell books I thought had potential future value for pennies.

Now I really don't fall into the hoarder mode. I haven't been to an auction all year.

At least now I don't have to throw table clothes and throws over stacks of boxes to make them into impromtu furniture.

Now an old friend of mine who passed away..had the most..the greatest the best collection I have ever in my life seen..if someone came up and said they had his books and wanted to give them all to me..I'd friggin make the room..

I dare say his collection would rival anyone's on this forum and that is really saying something. I think though because they were his they would be impossible for me to get rid of..but he had a sweet Action #1,Tec #27 and an All American #16

I would without much armbending at this point in my life things being how they are..sell those suckers(those three issues in particular) in a heartbeat...so I could have a house and maybe have a car (house and car not too much to ask for) The rest I would hoard like a miser and fawn over like Gollum with the one ring..that guy had super sweet spectacular comics..*sighs*

But he is passed away and those books are gone..so unless the comic fairy shows up and bestows me with super sweet books..for now I am OK and have a lot of empty room in the new apartment..

That doesn't stop me from making it known to prospective sellers (people who my spidey sense tells me may have books in their attic or basement) that I collect..you never know what they may have to offer..the right person could restore my entire precode collection and want "half of cover price these are really old" or they could have books I could flip for the money I need.. I wouldn't turn them down I always look anyway.

I may see some comic and decide all the sudden I want to collect a certain type of book or certain covers..you just never know..

But I am not scouring comic book shops and ebay for books to replace the gone ones..just not feeling it..