• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage April Auction

32 posts in this topic

What do you mean by "Heritage the company" bidding against you? Do you mean the "bump"? And what do you mean by they don't play by the same rules? They pay less commission?

Heritage (the company) and Heritage employees (as individuals) can bid on books, and I believe they don't have to pay the 15% buyer's commission either! Yeah, it's pretty advantageous for those guys...

They have a decent number of Wings Comics on there for me. thumbsup2.gif

Not to mention this Schomburg ! I may have to sell some stuff to justify this one though. flamed.gif

That sure looks nice but it was previously CGC 6.5 F+ book

HOW IT IMPROVED THAT MUCH 893frustrated.gif893whatthe.gifsign-rantpost.gif WTF

Why it was only fine+ at the first time. Are those graders using crack confused.gif I can't see if anything changed between resubs.

810001050o.jpg

13081015127o.jpg

link to old auction

Wow, the only difference I can see is that you no longer have the cover translucency issue? This got me thinking about hammer's books...for the most part, his high grade books NEVER have any cover translucency (see below)! Is there some kind of resto technique (cleaning or application of a sealant of some sort) that causes this? confused-smiley-013.gif

I wonder if a solvent cleaning that removes residual oils in the paper (from the initial printing inks) would reduce translucency? Likes dissolve likes, and oils and the solvent/carrier in some kinds of tape do cause this effect. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

38sp0204.jpg

The books look almost identical, and it goes up from a FN+ to a NM??? You're telling me that "pressing" a book can bring up it's grade 7 notches?? 893naughty-thumb.gif

I'd love to see a back cover scan of the FN+ copy, as it may have been something as easy as cleaning off a stain. I've expanded the images significantly and done a few overlays, and that top edge may have been trimmed, but it's tough to say for sure.

In my opinion it is not trimmed.

Wow, the only difference I can see is that you no longer have the cover translucency issue? This got me thinking about hammer's books...for the most part, his high grade books NEVER have any cover translucency (see below)! Is there some kind of resto technique (cleaning or application of a sealant of some sort) that causes this?

I wonder if a solvent cleaning that removes residual oils in the paper (from the initial printing inks) would reduce translucency? Likes dissolve likes, and oils and the solvent/carrier in some kinds of tape do cause this effect.

Difference in translucency is probably caused by different scanners setting. With some tweaking (brightness, contrast, etc) it's easily to remove translucency.

According to Pov, it's possible to remove ink transfer oils from covers with naphtha. He wasn't sure does it affect translucency. It might be possible. Maybe I will test that some day.

However CGC doesn't downgrade for translucency so it doesn't explain what happened to this book.

Now what do you think? It looks almost identical!

It looks like there's a long horizontal crease in the upper left hand corner of the front cover on the FN+. It extends from the spine all the way to the "H" in the word "THE." Probably was pressed out.

HOWEVER, from my point of view, the more important issue with this book is that it's an UNLABELED OKAJIMA! mad.gif The date stamp alone signifies this, but the penciled code in the title confirms it without a doubt! I realize it's a horse-s893censored-thumb.gift pedigree, but come on! Salidas, Pennsylvanias, and now Okajimas all missed!?! WTF is going on here?

CGC has dropped the ball again. mad.gifmad.gif

Alan

At least the page quality is still the same. thumbsup2.gif

The only way to determine how it went up so much would be to get the grader's notes on the FN+ copy.

It is possible that there were one or more VERY LONG non-color breaking creases that caused a huge drop in grade.

I know I have a few slabbed books that grade in the VF range that look structural perfect. Once view at an angle, I can see several non-color breaking creases.

I do know that if it ever comes time to sell them, I will:

1) Call for the grader's notes to make sure there are no internal defects.

2) Send book to professional for PRESSING only

3) Send said VF book to CGC for VF/NM to NM regrade

4) Make HUGE profit. insane.gif

According to pov, it's possible to remove ink transfer oils from covers with naphtha. He wasn't sure does it affect translucency. It might be possible. Maybe I will test that some day.

I had done this on many books back in the 80's and early 90's. (but prcatice books from the cheap bins! buy 'em and play with 'em!) I never did notice any translucency issues from the process.