• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage April Auction

32 posts in this topic

Lots of cool stuff in their new auction. I didnt see much super high grade for you BSD's but I was very happy to see a lot of low and mid grade copies of esoteric stuff I collect. My only concern is has CGC become even more lax on grading Golden Age books? Do they no longer take eye appeal into consideration? I saw a lot of FN and up books that were dirty/rusty staples/tons of foxing If they look that bad in the scans how much worse in person? Saw some great original art I might chase after too!

Just an FYI on some past auction data for a few of

the books coming up in the April auction:

Rangers 15

Lot 2535

This book was Lot 6602 in Oct 2002 (same CGC ID number)

Went for $2357

-----------------------------------------

Space Action #1

Lot 2558

This book was Lot 6485 in March 2003 (same CGC ID number)

Went for $2070

Planet 56

Lot 2523

This was lot 7325 in the July 2002 auction

went for $2185

Space Patrol #1

Lot: 2563

Space Patrol #2

Lot: 2564

Both of these are currently on Comiclink and have been there since Dec 2003

Strange Worlds #8

Lot: 2590

Is currently on Comiclink and has been there since Dec 2003

I see tons of high-grade stuff to bid on. This might be the best signature auction in 8-10 months in my opinion.

Regarding eye appeal:

To the best of my knowledge, CGC doesn't take it into account at all.

But pretty much everyone knows that Golden-Age books are graded a little less strict than Silver-Age and up.

I wish there was a little bit more consistency I saw a Blue Ribbon 9 at Mega Con on a dealers wall slabbed 4.5 I have the other 4.5 The two books are at least 1 full grade apart maybe more. The book I saw was about right at 4.0-4.5 the copy I have is at least a 6.0 Looking at some of the books in the auction the grading is even more wacky. I'm glad I dropped out of collecting high grade Bronze/silver This is where I see even more head scratching grades

But the beauty of Heritage is that they show VERY LARGE SCANS.

There are clearly books that I would be interested, but after seeing the large scan, I pass on.

Still, lots of great books. Hope to win (spend) a lot.

well I have about 20 items I'm bidding on I expect that to be whittled down to a handful by the famous bump

But at least for a few weeks, you can dream about get those books for your initial bid. cloud9.gif

I agree, this auction has a lot to offer. I am watching about 40 items. I am hoping to pick up at least one item out of the group. I especially like all the high grade Batmans being offered, but my guess is they will be way out of my price range by the close. But there are some lower grade odd-ball stuff I would love to pick up. I won't mention any titles here... wink.gif

If anyone plans on hitting the Heritage auction and wants to get together drop me a PM. I'll try to start something up this weekend on the boards with an official heritage / big apple weekend thumbsup2.gif

DAM

Hmm Personally I was pretty disappointed by their April auction selection. In a typical major auction like this I will usually start out with 20 or so books I am interested in and maybe win 4 or 5 at the end.. even in a typical weekly auction of theirs 6 or 7 books may catch my eye... In this auction I only see one book I'm interested in. Although to be fair I don't think I've ever seen a comic I've wanted more than this one. Here's hoping the reserve isn't too high! Anyway, I'm curious, to those who feel there is alot of interesting comics in this auction, without giving away any specific books, what sort of genres/time periods do you collect? To me the auction seems weak across the board...

Although I still think that disclosing the reserves was a great move! I'm excited to bid in an auction where there's no more guessing about exactly who it is I'm competing against.

I decided to post a partial list of the books I am watching since I don't think I will actually bid on any of them as the prices continue to climb.

1010 Jack Burnley and Charles Paris - Original Comic Strip Art for Batman Sunday dated 2-10-46 (McClure Syndicate, 1946)....

Excellent!

1396 Frank Miller and Joe Rubinstein - Original Splash Page art for Marvel Fanfare # 18, Captain America: Home Fires (Marvel, 1985)....

Excellent page!

1397 Sheldon Moldoff and Charles Paris - Original Art for Batman #155, page 1 (DC, 1963)....

Excellent page!

1398 Sheldon Moldoff - Original Cover Art for Batman #157 (DC, 1963)....

Excellent page!

2017 Batman #3 (DC, 1940) CGC FN- 5.5 White pages....

I really want to upgrade my copy without spending thousands.

All the Blue Ribbons! These are tough to find and I like the artwork. One thing you can bet on is if I win any of them, they are coming out of the holder!

All the 9.0 and better Batmans, but I suspect they will go too high for me.

2006 All-Flash #2 (DC, 1941) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white to white pages....

I don't know why, I just have always liked the cover.

Anyway, I'm curious, to those who feel there is alot of interesting comics in this auction, without giving away any specific books, what sort of genres/time periods do you collect? To me the auction seems weak across the board...

I think that this auction is strong on books that we tend not to see commonly in Heritage auctions. I was very impressed with the MLJ runs of early Pep, Top Notch and Zip. Also the runs of Smash, Speed and Keen Detective Funnies are all books I don't see too often. I'm a mid grade collector so seeing so many books in VG to F/VF really appeals to me.

As noted above the original art is pretty strong in this auction as well.

Overall I felt that even though the lots in the catalog weren't as "impressive" as in some past auctions, they were far more interesting to me in terms of lots I would want to bid on.

Although I still think that disclosing the reserves was a great move! I'm excited to bid in an auction where there's no more guessing about exactly who it is I'm competing against.

You still don't know who you are competing against as long as Heritage, the company, and Heritage employees can and will bid against you. And they don't play by the same rules you and I must adhere to.

Also the runs of Smash, Speed and Keen Detective Funnies are all books I don't see too often. I'm a mid grade collector so seeing so many books in VG to F/VF really appeals to me.

For some strange reason Speed is one of my favorite comics of the Golden Age so I had to check out what they had after reading your post. Heritage doesn't have any I need but it was cool seeing those covers again. smile.gif

Well there are lots of Bethlehem pedigree Atlas books that have just been graded (i.e. not in the census) that are in many cases, the highest graded copy. I'm bidding on most of those. Unfortunately the prices are already right at my breaking point, so if the reserve is higher, I'm out.

Plus lots of other Horror / Sci-Fi books that aren't ever available in high-grade.

You still don't know who you are competing against as long as Heritage, the company, and Heritage employees can and will bid against you. And they don't play by the same rules you and I must adhere to.

What do you mean by "Heritage the company" bidding against you? Do you mean the "bump"? And what do you mean by they don't play by the same rules? They pay less commission?