• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Intro & 2 Questions

5 posts in this topic

Hello,

I have been lurking for a few months and I finally signed up. I have been collecting on and off since the early '70s. First purchase was Swamp Thing 1, also remember buying Hulk 180-181 new.

Silver/Bronze is my thing. Currently working on: FF 1-100, ST torch issues, swamp thing (original), Silver Surfer, GL (Adams). etc. I am buying mostly on ebay and shows when I can get to them. I am pretty far out in the woods up here. I am still pondering whether to get involved in slabbing.

Here are my 2 questions:

1) What is Foxing? I looked in Overstreet and all over the internet. I find it in grading descriptions, but I can not find a definition.

2) Wouldn't cracking open a slab tend to skew the survey if the book was graded again? (Hope I am using the correct terms here.)

OK 3 questions:

3) Anyone else in the NE MN area?

thanks,

John (Tempus Fugit)

Foxing is the appearance of tan or brown spots on the pages or covers of books. Fairly common here in the Midwest esp. on the interior side of the cover stock.

The answer to your second question is yes. I almost always provide the label back when I crack and resubmit, but there are times that I have forgotten esp. for onsite. It can definitely screw up the census.

Yes, if a book is resubmitted without the original CGC label then the census is overstating the number of graded books.

That is why you must take the census with a grain of salt knowing there are probably fewer books in some cases than the census is actually showing.