• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When did you join eBay...?

79 posts in this topic

The first major purchase I made on eBay, in about 1998 or 1999 was for a Mego Green Goblin mint in a really nice box. I sniped it at the last second (don't know if it was even called sniping then, I sure didn't know it had a name) and then actually hoped I would get outbid and didn't. It was something like $285, which was a good price but I didn't actually have it to spend as I was in grad school. Anyway, I was freaking out sending the MO and hoping it would arrive ok...and then the GG arrived in the mail, perfect, the NEXT DAY! The guy had actually dropped it in the mail before getting payment because he just trusted me. You sure don't see that on eBay anymore (and frankly I didn't see it much even back in the early days), but thinking about someone just sending a $285 figure through the mail to someone they didn't know on pure faith in humanity still amazes me.

November 30th, 1999

My first purchase was single-digit Teen Titans that had already closed with no bids. I contacted the seller, and obtained the book...., :cloud9:

May 18 1997

The worst thing was trying to get a bid in during the last 2 minutes with a 14.4 dial up modem!

What made that even more worse was trying to place last minute bids on multiple items from the same seller with a dial up modem. Especially when they had close end times.

And back then, buyer and seller had to initiate all communication after an auction closed. There were times that you would be the high bidder and win an item and you could never get the seller to respond or close the deal.

May 18 1997

The worst thing was trying to get a bid in during the last 2 minutes with a 14.4 dial up modem!

What made that even more worse was trying to place last minute bids on multiple items from the same seller with a dial up modem. Especially when they had close end times.

And back then, buyer and seller had to initiate all communication after an auction closed. There were times that you would be the high bidder and win an item and you could never get the seller to respond or close the deal.

Dial up modem...., :cloud9:

May 18 1997

Yeah, I forgot about that! I had several pieces get away because the seller just would not close the deal.

Sept 1998 and I've just recently passed 500 feedbacks.

Heres a question for you all...... how many negs have you left during your ebay time. Only twice for me. But I have left 4 or 5 neutrals.

One neg was cuz the guy never sent the item, the other was cuz the buyer never paid or contacted me.....after 30 days !!