• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Are you a sheep collector ?

60 posts in this topic

The infinite picture frame thread discussion has made me wonder how others collect.

Are you the type that follows the crowd chasing the hot book of the month ?

Did you start collecting Thors because there is a movie coming ?

Did you try to buy up tons of Ghost Riders before the movie was released ? maybe Jonah Hex's ?

Or are you a trail blazer like JC who finds the stuff thats not hot and collects it until the masses start chasing it and moves on ?

What are the cool books/titles/niches to have right now ?

What are the best buys that trail blazers like JC are buying ?

I don't follow the hot books. I generally wait for them to be around for a while to see if it's worth reading. I'm now getting around to Walking Dead now that a good number of trades are available pretty cheap. I'll likely read Invincible next.

I'm impatient, when it comes to books or TV shows. I don't watch seasons as they progress, I just wait until the DVD set is out. I've got no problem waiting as long as I don't start the story. I won't look at Cursed Pirate Girl, Chew, Morning Glories, or Skullkickers until a few trades are available. I've never been good at the speculating game.

I've collected a little of everything. I'm guilty of jumping on bandwagons but I also have my core loves which don't change much.

I happen to really like late 30's and early 40's GA Superhero stuff. To me that stuff is ground zero for comics.

Then I also love SA Marvels because those were the unattainable books as I was growing up (GA hadn't been exposed to me yet).

BA stuff because of my teenage years as that is what I bought off the newsstand.

"Did you try to buy up tons of Ghost Riders before the movie was released ? "

I liked the 1990 ghost rider series- when #1 of that book came out, my LCS put out a stack of marvel spotlight 5 (all real high grade) for like $1.00 a piece.

I picked up a couple for the heck of it.

I kindah find that hard to believe as #5 was broken out for a long time, but admittedly I was out of comic collecting in 1990, so what the heck do I know. More irrational things have happened. It wasn't a $1 book in 1984. Though I did pick up a copy for $2 in 1994, but it wasn't high grade.

The premise of this post is a bit insulting, unless you're just trying to be tongue in cheek to give JC a ribbing. Yeah, I was a sheep, I hit the 50 cent boxes hard in the 18 months before the GR movie and bought up a ton of GRs. I sold a ton of them too in lots (or individually for HG copies) at 4-10X what I paid (though I apparently misplaced a magazine box worth of them...so I still have those). A year before that I was buying Marvel Spotlight lots from kochcom figuring the books had hope, paying about $1.50 each for sharp copies of the GR spotlight books (sans #5) and sold them at the peak for $15-$35 each. so yeah, i'm a sheep. But a cheap sheep.

I actually don't like when the stuff I want is popular, because then it's harder for me to get :P

Most of what I like is considered drek by others, and even when it isn't it still isn't terribly valuable, I just don't like spending $5-$10 per issue on stuff.

"Did you try to buy up tons of Ghost Riders before the movie was released ? "

I liked the 1990 ghost rider series- when #1 of that book came out, my LCS put out a stack of marvel spotlight 5 (all real high grade) for like $1.00 a piece.

I picked up a couple for the heck of it.

I kindah find that hard to believe as #5 was broken out for a long time, but admittedly I was out of comic collecting in 1990, so what the heck do I know. More irrational things have happened. It wasn't a $1 book in 1984. Though I did pick up a copy for $2 in 1994, but it wasn't high grade.

The premise of this post is a bit insulting, unless you're just trying to be tongue in cheek to give JC a ribbing. Yeah, I was a sheep, I hit the 50 cent boxes hard in the 18 months before the GR movie and bought up a ton of GRs. I sold a ton of them too in lots (or individually for HG copies) at 4-10X what I paid (though I apparently misplaced a magazine box worth of them...so I still have those). A year before that I was buying Marvel Spotlight lots from kochcom figuring the books had hope, paying about $1.50 each for sharp copies of the GR spotlight books (sans #5) and sold them at the peak for $15-$35 each. so yeah, i'm a sheep. But a cheap sheep.

Yeah a little. But I really am curious what people consider the best buys right now. Not the hot stuff, Thor, Avengers, Green Lantern, Archie :insane:, Picture frames according to JC but the stuff that will be hot.

Are you the type that follows the crowd chasing the hot book of the month ?

You tell me. I collect Police Comics and Plastic Man (shrug)