• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sgt. Fury #1

164 posts in this topic

I think the movie hype will have a much larger impact on demand for Strange Tales #135 (and maybe FF #21 -- as that's the first modern app. of Fury as a secret agent) rather than Sgt Fury #1 .

But, unless a "Howling Commando" movie comes out, I dont think the Sgt Fury title will be a hot item to anyone in the "what's hot this week" crowd.

I would disagree as the 1st appearance is the 1st appearance, regardless of the changes to a character later on. Just take Captain Marvel as an example, no one rushes to get Captain Marvel #17 even though its arguably the first Captain Marvel as a Superhero as opposed to a soldier that he was in his 1st appearance (Marvel Super Heroes #12) and for years to come.

That coupled with the fact that Sgt Fury #1 is scarce in high grade whilst ST #135 is fairly common in the FN and above grades makes this book the one to look out for in my opinion.

Oh and whilst i dont think there will be a Howling Commandos movie, i do believe that there will be references to his past and hey Dum Dum will be in the Captain America movie, as will Fury as Sgt Fury i believe (given that it is based in the past).

So whilst considering the 7.5 Heritage copy, i just noticed that Pedigree has a 9.0 in their next auction. Whilst i would like the best copy available, funds are obviously a consideration, so where should the 7.5 and 9.0 copy end at given the last 8.5 copy sold for a lot more than i was expecting ($6871) in August and the other lower graded copies seem to be on the move also.

In speaking to people, some have commented that generaly most key issues double in price per grade increase from 8.5 onwards, would most people on this forum agree with that forumla being applied to the 9.0 copy over the 8.5?

When the Fury #1 went for $6,871 in August people were quite surprised. That was very high for that book. For example I had just picked up an 8.0 in auction just a few months earlier for $2,600.

You never know with keys but it would not surprise me if the 9.0 went for less than $10,000.

Tend to agree that the sales of the 7.5 and 9.0 will determine whether the 8.5 sale was a glitch or will reinforce a price movement.

I'm not sure which way it will go. If the 7.5 goes for $3.5k then the price trend upwards has been reinforced.

No idea on the 9.0 but if the 8.5 price is not a glitch then north of $9k is possible.

No idea on the 9.0 but if the 8.5 price is not a glitch then north of $9k is possible.

I'm sure starting to regret not taking the Curator 9.4 #1 off of Doug when he had it up for a "mere" $25K.

The bag is wrinkly the comic is not....

I know. I was kidding.... you said dont tell me to change the bag so I said hey...

aw whats the use. Im too mean for the boards nowadays!

but seriously. why not carefullt remove it and place this sweet book safely inside a nice mylar of two with halfbacks to protect it for the next ten years??? couldnt hurt.

even Bangzoom ultimately did the same with his books after 40 years in old bags and the attitude that it wasnt necessary at first..

I'm sure starting to regret not taking the Curator 9.4 #1 off of Doug when he had it up for a "mere" $25K.

Think about "poor old me".

I missed the entire SA key high grade price hike.

I own only one and it happens to be like Sgt Fury #1 in terms of underappreciated in the past.

Mine however hasn't experieenced the upwards price trend of a Sgt Fury #1 - a high grade Flash #105.

You were too busy focusing on low- and mid-grade GAs. :baiting:

Well, the important thing is to "hit 'em where they ain't". Don't chase the trend, figure out where the next one is coming from (or be the one to start it) and get in at the head of the line.

So whilst considering the 7.5 Heritage copy, i just noticed that Pedigree has a 9.0 in their next auction. Whilst i would like the best copy available, funds are obviously a consideration, so where should the 7.5 and 9.0 copy end at given the last 8.5 copy sold for a lot more than i was expecting ($6871) in August and the other lower graded copies seem to be on the move also.

In speaking to people, some have commented that generaly most key issues double in price per grade increase from 8.5 onwards, would most people on this forum agree with that forumla being applied to the 9.0 copy over the 8.5?

When the Fury #1 went for $6,871 in August people were quite surprised. That was very high for that book. For example I had just picked up an 8.0 in auction just a few months earlier for $2,600.

You never know with keys but it would not surprise me if the 9.0 went for less than $10,000.

Tend to agree that the sales of the 7.5 and 9.0 will determine whether the 8.5 sale was a glitch or will reinforce a price movement.

I'm not sure which way it will go. If the 7.5 goes for $3.5k then the price trend upwards has been reinforced.

I think that given the ever increasing last sales of the 6.5 ($1315) and 7.0 ($1475) reported to GPA only 2 months ago, any sale on 7.5 above $2.2k is showing an upwards trend, especially when you consider that the last sale on this book was only $1311 in Feb this year. $3.5k in my mind, makes any 8.5 copies $8k and the 9.0 over $10k.

Personally i would be happy if it just sat where it is at until the end of the auction, that way i would win it for just over $2k :whee:

These are astonishingly strong prices for what is, rightfully, the drekkiest of drekky Marvel #1s of the time period. Not that it's bad. It's not. But it is a War #1 at a time when capes were all the rage.

Come on, its not the drekkiest of drekky Marvel #1's by a longshot. Surely that honour goes to most Romance comics :grin:

I wouldn't mind the 7.5 if it could be had for 2500 or so....very tough above fine. Another issue in the run that doesn't get as much notice is # 3. It has a cool Reed Richards crossover from his O.S.S. days and establishes links between the intelligence community and the Marvel Universe. There's a 9.6 in Heritage's November auction that's :cloud9: .Neat story and great Kirby art. Despite that, the FURY run will probably never be accepted on equal footing with the other Marvel titles by fandom at large. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

You were too busy focusing on low- and mid-grade GAs. :baiting:

Well, the important thing is to "hit 'em where they ain't". Don't chase the trend, figure out where the next one is coming from (or be the one to start it) and get in at the head of the line.

Flash #105 :whee:

I wouldn't mind the 7.5 if it could be had for 2500 or so....very tough above fine. Another issue in the run that doesn't get as much notice is # 3. It has a cool Reed Richards crossover from his O.S.S. days and establishes links between the intelligence community and the Marvel Universe. There's a 9.6 in Heritage's November auction that's :cloud9: .Neat story and great Kirby art. Despite that, the FURY run will probably never be accepted on equal footing with the other Marvel titles by fandom at large. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

7.5 currently at $1,912 on heritage with 2 weeks to go so it will probably go for more than $2,500.

These are astonishingly strong prices for what is, rightfully, the drekkiest of drekky Marvel #1s of the time period. Not that it's bad. It's not. But it is a War #1 at a time when capes were all the rage.

Come on, its not the drekkiest of drekky Marvel #1's by a longshot. Surely that honour goes to most Romance comics :grin:

One man's drek is another man's Mozart. :)

If you liked War Comics then Sgt. Fury was a change of pace from the DC Big 5.

Campy, yes. Great story telling, eventually. They did many things first in this series that didn't happen in the super hero books -- especially social commentary.

Hasta,

Pablo

The 8.5 that sold on Heritage in August was mine. It was a beautiful copy that looked better than an 8.5 and I'd say that the price realized was a bit of an anomaly. I'd be surprised if the 9.0 goes above $10000, but stranger things have happened. I'd say $7500-$8500 is more likely. We'll see. :popcorn:

Andy