• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laugh at yourself because you're a DOPE! (comic related)

74 posts in this topic

Late last night (a little past 2:30am) as I dove into what i thought was the "3rd issue" of "Red Son" I realized i was a major dumbarse and laughed out loud heartily at myself. Can we please get the #'s back on the covers of all modern comics?

When I received the Red Son set from Modern Comic Savior Darthdiesel, I naturally assumed they were "in order" in the stack... with Carl being so efficient and all. No numbers on the front, didn't think to check the side or inside FC. With complete trust, I read away...

Now something seemed amiss yesterday, (having read "supposed issues 1 & 2" the 2 prior nights) but I was immersed in the story and thought maybe this was a Quentin Tarantino storytelling homage by Millar. What do I know? A page into the "real 1st issue" (my 3rd) and it was obvious I read the set backwards!

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif893frustrated.gifmad.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifboo.gifforeheadslap.gif

Anyway, I figured everyone deserved a chance to laugh at me... and then maybe share a stupid comic related mishap/experience too. I know we did something similar geared towards pretending to be superheros as kids.

I'm looking for tales of...

dropping a long box down a flight of stairs and bowling over some old lady and flattening her obnoxious poodle... falling asleep on your NM+ DD 168 and sobbing when you awoke... opening a shaken soda too close... you get the picture.

Please share so I don't stand alone as the only comic dope stooges.gif

What.. no horrific tales of sweet DC's accidentally put in the wash with your short-shorts? confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif
Nope, I treat them well! tongue.gif

What.. no horrific tales of sweet DC's accidentally put in the wash with your short-shorts? confused-smiley-013.gifgrin.gif

Your short shorts? confused.gif

Your short shorts? confused.gif

Those also! tongue.gif893censored-thumb.gif

C'mon Dice... never got Taco Bell grease on a beloved Ghost Rider? confused-smiley-013.gif

(note to self: gossip.gif I think you are going to be the only "comic dope" tonight, maybe even a "double dope" for starting this thread... go read Red Son in the correct order and pretend it didn't happen 893scratchchin-thumb.gif )

I'm usually pretty careful with my comic books, but one night I was out for a run, and afterward - for some strange reason- decided to open up a package of NM Byrne's I had bought.

So I take out a couple and they're beautiful, and I remove a perfect Iron Fist 15 to check for hidden damage... and SPLAT, a huge sweat drip falls from my hair right onto the front cover.

Now I know a NM Iron Fist 15 may not mean much to other people, but for a Byrne freak like myself... 893frustrated.gif

I also caught a nice Hulk 180 on some packing tape one time, but that was no big deal. 27_laughing.gif

C'mon Dice... never got Taco Bell grease on a beloved Ghost Rider? confused-smiley-013.gif

Actually. I've never ruined a book.

At least not since I turned 18 or so.

I've always had a handling peeve.

I handle books with care and always remove the tape from the bag before taking a book out.

The only DOPE cases I have are probably selling something too cheap or buying a book on eBay with no scan. (the later will never happen again because I've learned my lesson.)

I did beat my sister up for ripping the cover off my Hulk 181 when I was a kid. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

i end up with a tape pull in five years intervals. I always think i am "too slick" to let it catch, but once every five years i nail one. The last time it was a precode horror foreheadslap.gif and the skull in the center lifted righ toff. So for the next 6 months i took the tape off everytime, but i start sliding and now i am back to only doing it sometimes..... i should know better.... sorry.gif

OOPS. I just thought of one.

The reason I don't use long boxes anymore.

I had a half full long box that sat for several months without opening it.

When I did, about 15 or so books were missing.

I kept flipping through trying to find them.

They had slid down and were half up and half curled under the books.

That one pissed me off pretty badly.

Since then I've used short boxes, and when they are not full, I have foam blocks that I put in front as fillers.

I'm also anal about putting a few loose backing boards in the front and back of the box to keep the inside of the box from putting a dent in the first book.

Another peeve I have.

oh, i did also knock a dealers display over once at a show in cherry hill NJ in 1990 or so! I was set up next to him and was moving my things in. I swung a long box around and clipped the corner of his peg board & brought the whole thing down!!!!! I felt like a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person & had to sit next to that guy ALL DAY! jeeezz.......

You got that right, and I moved ALL of the my comics to a mass amount of single-lane short boxes a long while ago. I never had anything really bad happen, but some commons at the back were warped in my old long boxes, and it put the fear of God into me.

I'm usually pretty careful with my comic books, but one night I was out for a run, and afterward - for some strange reason- decided to open up a package of NM Byrne's I had bought.

So I take out a couple and they're beautiful, and I remove a perfect Iron Fist 15 to check for hidden damage... and SPLAT, a huge sweat drip falls from my hair right onto the front cover.

Now I know a NM Iron Fist 15 may not mean much to other people, but for a Byrne freak like myself... 893frustrated.gif

I also caught a nice Hulk 180 on some packing tape one time, but that was no big deal. 27_laughing.gif

Now Iron Fist 15 is an awesome book for obvious reasons, but also because of Wolvie's costume change... besides the brown/beige color change from the original yellow and blue.. that was basically it until the modern leather look. BTW.. I think there may be a more effective way to humidify the cover prior to a press.

893whatthe.gif As for the Hulk 180... 893whatthe.gif that's not only the most horrific tale we'll hear in this thread, but its also definitive proof there is no God! 893frustrated.gif

Oh yeah... 893naughty-thumb.gif

oh, i did also knock a dealers display over once at a show in cherry hill NJ in 1990 or so! I was set up next to him and was moving my things in. I swung a long box around and clipped the corner of his peg board & brought the whole thing down!!!!! I felt like a complete insufficiently_thoughtful_person & had to sit next to that guy ALL DAY! jeeezz.......

27_laughing.gif

Sorry, shiver.

That would suck!

893scratchchin-thumb.gif27_laughing.gif