• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Laugh at yourself because you're a DOPE! (comic related)

74 posts in this topic

Speaking of Mylars, i'm sure we've all had finger cuts from going through dealer boxes at shows due to their sharp plastic flaps. At one show many years ago, I was at Harley Yee's table, and without realizing it I bled on a Silver Surfer 1 I was examining. It wasn't a high grade copy, but being a decent soul I mentioned it to Harley. I ended up buying the book (at a modest discount).

I think I flipped the book back in London for about the price I paid for it. Despite the bloodstain.

Good one... was that the "hemoglobin pedigree" 27_laughing.gif

I'd be curious how Harley determined the discount. I don't recall Overstreet addressing that type of stain.

When you read it backwards, did you hear any satanice or communist rhetoric? devil.gif

huh? confused-smiley-013.gif

Reference to stories in the past in which some claimed that when records are played backwards, there are hidden satanic messages being played.

Speaking of Mylars, i'm sure we've all had finger cuts from going through dealer boxes at shows due to their sharp plastic flaps. At one show many years ago, I was at Harley Yee's table, and without realizing it I bled on a Silver Surfer 1 I was examining. It wasn't a high grade copy, but being a decent soul I mentioned it to Harley. I ended up buying the book (at a modest discount).

I think I flipped the book back in London for about the price I paid for it. Despite the bloodstain.

Good one... was that the "hemoglobin pedigree" 27_laughing.gif

I'd be curious how Harley determined the discount. I don't recall Overstreet addressing that type of stain.

Once I told Harley about it, he was fairly sympathetic, although it was a given that I would now have to buy the book. He gave me about 20% off, which is very good for Mr. Yee (God bless 'im). He didn't determine the discount - I just asked for it to "ease the pain and misfortune" (yeah, woe was me!).

I guess I was lucky that it was only an F/VF copy of SS1, rather than a big ticket book. Also the stain wasn't too noticeable after I let the blood dry off the comic.

I suspect OS would liken it to a tape pull or a stain from a coffee mug. Still, the guy I sold it to seemed happy enough, despite the Surfer looking in the pink, as it were.

About 10 year ago or so when I was on my lunch hour, I have always drove by this little comic shop, and I used to collect as a kid so I thought , hey...

I will pop in and see what is going on in comics today.

Needless to say, I was hit over the head, with Image titles galore., bad girl variants, chrome covers, and countless other gimmicks.

So I poked around the shop feeling a slow , warm rekindling of the comic bug taking hold of me once again.

For some reason I was intimidated by the "counter geeks" (who I later became great friends with.)

But I digress.

As I said I was shy about buying my first comic again, what should it be? where to start?

Will I pick wrong, will they laugh at me?

So I picked up one I thought looked cool, it was a Spawn, #34 I think, where Spawn is hanging dead from a noose around a tree.

(Help me out if I am wrong on the number)

I go up to the counter with my comic and the clerk looks me over, and starts to ring up my comic, he casually says with a small smirk..,... "so you think he is really dead this time?"

Now at that time I had no clue to the Spawn story line, or title at all so I think to myself.. "well duhhhh...... hes hanging from a tree so that looks dead to me."

So I say like an insufficiently_thoughtful_person to the clerk...."Dead? who? ohh... uhh..that guy?, yeah he looks dead alright....I suppose so, yeah.. "

The clerk looks at me oddly and says, " this your first Spawn Comic?"

I lie of course and say " Umm.. no why? ?"

And of course the clerk fires back.." Cause Spawn is already dead silly."

I took my comic and slinked away in shame.

sorry.gif

Took me 3 weeks to get up the nerve to re enter the shop again,

But I had to know what happenend to Spawn!

The clerk and I had a good laugh , and he turned me on to the world of comics , and the rest is now history.

27_laughing.gif, so there is one of many tales of Stupidity I can share .

Stay tuned..... popcorn.gifpopcorn.gif

he was hanging by a noose in iss. #30 thumbsup2.gif

I had a copy of the Uncanney X-men issue I think it was issue 13, anyways it was the first apperance of Juganaught )sp?). my 12 year old self begins taking it out of the plastic when suudenly the tape connects to part of the cover. I slow start to loosen the tape, but the tape slowly takes off a section of the cover no matter how easy I pull. I ended up pasting the section back on.

Then I loaned that same issue and my copy of amazing spiderman 33 to a kid and never saw them again.

I was a stupid kid. sign-rantpost.gif

did the same thing... loaned a couple of nice X-Men out a few years back (forget the issue numbers exactly, but they were low ones) and never saw them and the kid moved to Ohio or some such state! 893frustrated.gif

Several months ago I was re-bagging a GEORGOUS(9.6+) copy Giant Size Invaders#1 when the front cover got hung when I was pushing the book back into the mylar bag. I was in a little bit of a hurry so I ripped over half of the front cover off. AHHH! 893frustrated.gif

It went from CGC to reader free.