• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Because, well...it's eBay....

52 posts in this topic

Idjit. I get the same thing. Some people take weeks to pay and then demand you ship it asap.

I've also been getting lots of non paying bidders lately. Anybody else?

In my nearly 8 years on eBay I've never had one. Now I have two in one month.

Tools, the lot of them.

I've avoided it until now but I'm thinking of adding a clause in the listing of asking them to pay within one week.

Can you let us know who are these ridiculous buyers so we can block them, both the non-paying and the others above with their insane excuses for leaving a neg.

+1

In my experience, whether or not the book is slabbed makes a difference too. Whenever I sell raw books I put disclaimers that customers are welcome to return items if they aren't happy with the condition, but I still have gotten angry emails. Real crazy stuff too... it seems like even when you grade fairly, some people don't care - they're just looking to hit the jackpot with a super-duper deal and an undergraded copy. (shrug)

With slabs, it's a lot less of that.

HBD Greg!

Do alot of buyers actually use your, the sellers, grades? Not that I'm saying you grade bad, I haven't a clue, but for the most part I don't pay much attention to the sellers grade.

With slabs, I've been guilty of just looking at the label and not the book, but thats on me, I wouldn't put that on the seller in anyway.

I prefer big auctiva scans with no grade, and a low starting bid, let the market determine its grade and value. I've always assumed the seller is biased to grade high, just like I want to believe some of my stuff is better than it is. So what I do is knock anywhere from 1-2 full points off the sellers grade and use that as my general guideline, but I don't base my bid off that!

I've asked for a partial refund twice. Once, the seller just dropped the books in a priority envelope with no cardboard, or bags/boards and I requested that my handling be refunded due to the damage to the books since he didn't handle them very well :)

The other time was on a Batman #49, the joker genie cover, the seller didn't disclose that a coupon had been cut out, so I requested a refund to bring down the total to the books guide value in 1.5 condition. (The cover had some tears and what not, so it wouldn't have gotten a qualified grade)

There go your delivery time DSRs

Got a "1" or "2" on delivery time on a recent sale. Guy paid on Sunday, had the book in his hands that next Friday, 5 days later.

He ASSURES me it was a mistake. Maybe it was.

I sure hope so.

For the most part, I've found an inverse correlation between this type of behavior and how much the item costs. The cheaper the item, the nuttier the customer can be. There are whack jobs across the board of course, but more at the under $20 end.
This particular book was $250, but it was a very good deal since it was a Stan Lee SS.

;)

So, a week (not "more than a week") after sending payment, the guy is assuming the book hasn't even been sent out (which, of course, it has.) Without even bothering to ask if it had been, just making the assumption...after taking more than a week to pay himself.

Gotta love eBay.

:cloud9:

Just had this exact thing happen. Guy pays after 10 days - I get an eBay message 5 days after that stating the book has not been received yet. (shrug)

Your welcome. :P

+1

In my experience, whether or not the book is slabbed makes a difference too. Whenever I sell raw books I put disclaimers that customers are welcome to return items if they aren't happy with the condition, but I still have gotten angry emails. Real crazy stuff too... it seems like even when you grade fairly, some people don't care - they're just looking to hit the jackpot with a super-duper deal and an undergraded copy. (shrug)

With slabs, it's a lot less of that.

HBD Greg!

Do alot of buyers actually use your, the sellers, grades? Not that I'm saying you grade bad, I haven't a clue, but for the most part I don't pay much attention to the sellers grade.

With slabs, I've been guilty of just looking at the label and not the book, but thats on me, I wouldn't put that on the seller in anyway.

I prefer big auctiva scans with no grade, and a low starting bid, let the market determine its grade and value. I've always assumed the seller is biased to grade high, just like I want to believe some of my stuff is better than it is. So what I do is knock anywhere from 1-2 full points off the sellers grade and use that as my general guideline, but I don't base my bid off that!

I've asked for a partial refund twice. Once, the seller just dropped the books in a priority envelope with no cardboard, or bags/boards and I requested that my handling be refunded due to the damage to the books since he didn't handle them very well :)

The other time was on a Batman #49, the joker genie cover, the seller didn't disclose that a coupon had been cut out, so I requested a refund to bring down the total to the books guide value in 1.5 condition. (The cover had some tears and what not, so it wouldn't have gotten a qualified grade)

I'm not sure what the buyers do... as a buyer, I make my own determination (as much as possible) based on the scan, consider how that compares to the seller's grade, and then discount my max bid to give a cushion for unseen defects (sounds like you use a similar method). If the seller has multiple books up, I will look at a few to get a sense of how they grade and factor that in as well.

But I think as a seller it doesn't make any sense not to give a grade. They may discount my opinion or ignore it completely, but I'm the one who has the book in hand, and as a buyer I'd at least want to know what the seller thought.

Finally, a seller's reputation plays a big part in how much I consider they're opinion. If someone has 100 raw listings a week, and their "item as described" DSR is 4.9 or 5.0, then that grade gets more weight than a noob seller.

There will always be scam artists that pass off resto or incomplete books as universal ones, but that's in a different category to me than a .5 disagreement on a grade...

So, a week (not "more than a week") after sending payment, the guy is assuming the book hasn't even been sent out (which, of course, it has.) Without even bothering to ask if it had been, just making the assumption...after taking more than a week to pay himself.

Gotta love eBay.

Just had this exact thing happen. Guy pays after 10 days - I get an eBay message 5 days after that stating the book has not been received yet. (shrug)

Your welcome. :P

Wait, my welcome...?

Well, my welcome indeed!

Idjit. I get the same thing. Some people take weeks to pay and then demand you ship it asap.

I've also been getting lots of non paying bidders lately. Anybody else?

In my nearly 8 years on eBay I've never had one. Now I have two in one month.

Tools, the lot of them.

I've avoided it until now but I'm thinking of adding a clause in the listing of asking them to pay within one week.

Yes, lots of them. I went years selling 50-60 items a week and I'd get a non-payer every other month or so. Now I get 4-5 a week selling half as many items. :sick:

F'n ebay :mad: I've had more non paying bidders in the last few months then I ever have. I've had people complain about shipping when I shipped Priority the day after they paid. Some of the best non paying excuses have been "I just got arrested and need money for a lawyer" and "I just won your auction and went outside to start my car and now I can't pay because I found out the car won't start and needs repairs". I mean can't they just be honest I hate BS excuses. Your car just died really? You just got arrested well maybe you should stop being a dumb azz and pay for my damn auction.

I'm not sure what the buyers do... as a buyer, I make my own determination (as much as possible) based on the scan, consider how that compares to the seller's grade, and then discount my max bid to give a cushion for unseen defects (sounds like you use a similar method). If the seller has multiple books up, I will look at a few to get a sense of how they grade and factor that in as well.

But I think as a seller it doesn't make any sense not to give a grade. They may discount my opinion or ignore it completely, but I'm the one who has the book in hand, and as a buyer I'd at least want to know what the seller thought.

Finally, a seller's reputation plays a big part in how much I consider they're opinion. If someone has 100 raw listings a week, and their "item as described" DSR is 4.9 or 5.0, then that grade gets more weight than a noob seller.

There will always be scam artists that pass off resto or incomplete books as universal ones, but that's in a different category to me than a .5 disagreement on a grade...

I've wondered if the seller giving a grade is more trouble than its worth with all the reports of buyers trying to say the book wasn't in the described grade and trying to get a discount. I've seen a few sellers on E-bay state they won't give grades and when asked they said it was because so many buyers disagreed with the grade and wanted a discount. I told him I thought his grades were high as well and to try purposely undergrading books to see if it helped. He did and a few weeks later I noticed he stopped grading completely so I guess under-grading didn't help.

Feedback seems to be distorted to the high side. I know personally when something is borderling questionable I won't leave neg or neutral feedback out of fear of a retalory neg feedback. (How much does a buyers feedback matter to a seller?) I've got perfect feedback and don't want to mess it up if it means not getting an offer accepted because I have gotten some retalitory feedback. I have a friend that sells alot on E-Bay in the auto section and he's told me there are feedback generators that people can use to make their feedback look better, after that I stopped paying attention to positive feedback and only look for neg.

I've wondered if the seller giving a grade is more trouble than its worth with all the reports of buyers trying to say the book wasn't in the described grade and trying to get a discount. I've seen a few sellers on E-bay state they won't give grades and when asked they said it was because so many buyers disagreed with the grade and wanted a discount. I told him I thought his grades were high as well and to try purposely undergrading books to see if it helped. He did and a few weeks later I noticed he stopped grading completely so I guess under-grading didn't help.

Feedback seems to be distorted to the high side. I know personally when something is borderling questionable I won't leave neg or neutral feedback out of fear of a retalory neg feedback. (How much does a buyers feedback matter to a seller?) I've got perfect feedback and don't want to mess it up if it means not getting an offer accepted because I have gotten some retalitory feedback. I have a friend that sells alot on E-Bay in the auto section and he's told me there are feedback generators that people can use to make their feedback look better, after that I stopped paying attention to positive feedback and only look for neg.

Sellers can't give buyers negs anymore so nothing to worry about on that front

So as a buyer all I need to do to be a good buyer is pay my invoice as soon as I get it? I was going to sell something just to see what the sellers can see and do to a buyer. Even when I've gotten beat on shipping I was worried about relatiation.

I've also wondered if giving a grade is more trouble than it is worth for sellers with low feedback. For higher feedback 1000+ sellers I think they are giving up $ when not giving a grade. When the seller has under 300 feedback, I think many buyers will completely disregard their grade anyway. Or worse yet, if you are a tight grader with low feedback you will probably suffer from the fact that bidders will assume that you have overgraded at least a full grade like 90% of other ebayers out there.

So as a buyer all I need to do to be a good buyer is pay my invoice as soon as I get it? I was going to sell something just to see what the sellers can see and do to a buyer. Even when I've gotten beat on shipping I was worried about relatiation.

Actually even if you pay within 4-5 days there is nothing the seller can do but give you a positive.

Actually even if you pay within 4-5 days there is nothing the seller can do but give you a positive.

Wow, thats good to know, 5 days to pay seems like a long time! Maybe I'm not like most buyers, but when I win an auction I can't wait for the invoice so I can pay and get my books ASAP.

Buyer bought a book on Oct 19th. Didn't pay until Oct 27th. NOT a problem, truly. I am not the kind of seller who needs payment yesterday. You need a couple weeks to pay, no problem at all. Didn't even send a reminder, nothing.

Got this message today:

"It's been more than a week and tracking still show "Electronic Shipping Info Received." Please send it out already. Thanks."

lol

Gotta love eBay.

Dude, when I bought that book you told me you had just acquired teleportation technology. GET 'ER DONE, BEEETCHES! :lol:

Takes all kinds.

I have similar "requests" all the time. Except my most surly customers take over 10 days to pay then want to know what they didn't get the book four days after payment.