• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Willing to pay for GPA help on 1 comic

40 posts in this topic

How is publishing the information, in any form, on a web page that may be repeatedly accessed over a certain period of time not giving the information away for free.

For example, I list a book on eBay and provide the GPA information you are specifying. That information is now available to everyone who wishes to find the information for a period of what, 90 days? It's still proprietary information that costs a premium being provided for free whether it's in snapshot form or not.

But if you're a subscriber, it isn't unusual for a software as a service (Saas) business model to offer external reporting tools.

This isn't a reinvention of the wheel that's being asked, and quite common for subscription services to provide.

The software vendor may choose to limit access to data, place time restrictions (aka time bomb) how long analysis, reports or snapshots can be accessed external to the site. Teaser or "find out more" formats can compliment this external reporting angle and are quite popular to draw in new subscribers. GPA already offers trials, so this would only compliment that marketing initiative.

For the purpose of stimulating a person-to-person trading scenario or transaction, I think it's a necessary step in the evolution of GPA.

You think it's a necessary step in the evolution of GPA? I disagree. It's only a necessary step to you as it's a something you desire. I wish GPA would do more in regards to pedigrees, but I don't see that as a necessary step. It's a personal want or agenda driven.

Have you ever had a GPA subscription?

You think it's a necessary step in the evolution of GPA? I disagree. It's only a necessary step to you as it's a something you desire. I wish GPA would do more in regards to pedigrees, but I don't see that as a necessary step. It's a personal want or agenda driven.

Have you ever had a GPA subscription?

You're spinning this into something that it isn't. This has nothing to do with having an agenda. And everything to do with making GPA data more marketable, especially in the eyes of collectors who have never used the service.

Would CGC even have a consumer base if people didn't make the connection between fetching higher prices when books are slabbed? Look at some of the early advertising CGC did, and you'll quickly realize that their whole marketing angle was an attempt to get consumers to believe CGC brought value to the hobby.

With market maturity and the passage of time, we know that this principle of CGC'd comics getting more money applies to certain categories (i.e. high-grade, unrestored, in demand books).

The same could be said for GPA data providing an assist to buyers, but it doesn't just magically become a part of the collecting community's toolkit unless people who haven't subscribed to the service are aware it exists, or can see for themselves how the service does assist in tracking sales history in a real-time manner.

To complicate things, GPA data is being quoted at the point of sale, and in order for it to benefit both buyer and seller, both need to have access. How does this assist buyers if a sellers response is "I don't use GPA."?? If the buyer takes a snapshot that is provided through the GPA console, and provides it as a way to stimulate a transaction in their favour, a seller may feel more inclined to participate in the buyers reasoning to pay GPA.

Regarding having access to GPA, I was given access for several years. It wasn't a paid subscription, but one provided generously by George as recompense for assisting in writing GPA newsletters for a brief period of time.

GPA provides information you either want or you don't. If you want it you pay for it, if you don't want it then you don't pay for it. There's no middle ground.

GPA provides information you either want or you don't. If you want it you pay for it, if you don't want it then you don't pay for it. There's no middle ground.

Tell me something I don't know.

When you go look at a collection, do you take an Overstreet guide with you in case the seller doesn't have one? Do you tell the seller that his/her books are worth X amount according to what the guide says? How do you prove it otherwise if the seller does not have a guide?

How do you do the same with GPA in an off-eBay, private transaction?

Seriously, not trying to be thick or the heavy in the discussion, but I really would like to know.

When you go look at a collection, do you take an Overstreet guide with you in case the seller doesn't have one? Do you tell the seller that his/her books are worth X amount according to what the guide says? How do you prove it otherwise if the seller does not have a guide?

Seriously, not trying to be thick or the heavy in the discussion, but I really would like to know.

If you're selling you name your price. If you're buying you make an offer and/or accept the seller's price? (shrug)

I've never thrown OPG or GPA into negotiations. I'll throw it out in sales sometimes just to pimp the price I'm offering but that's it. I'm not going to try to break somebody's arm to sell/buy at a price they don't want to just because the internet says that's what it's worth.

"I'm not only the president, but also a member" was a quote from hairclub for men.

GPA is a bargain resource. It's paid for itself many times over. I bought a SA slab for a fraction of GPA at a comic store in California, then sold it for GPA and netted a few thousand dollars last year. Of course all that money went straight to GGA slabs and TOS for my collection. Would I have had the knowledge or confidence to make the purchase without gpa data in hand?

Likely not.

If you're selling you name your price. If you're buying you make an offer and/or accept the seller's price? (shrug)

I've never thrown OPG or GPA into negotiations. I'll throw it out in sales sometimes just to pimp the price I'm offering but that's it. I'm not going to try to break somebody's arm to sell/buy at a price they don't want to just because the internet says that's what it's worth.

I take it you never got a PM offer on a book that quoted GPA. You're right that a seller could dance around the subject or stand firm on what their asking, but the latter usually comes off as being a seller unwilling to negotiate. And we know there's at least one dealer who constantly gets made an example on these boards for allegedly being unwilling to budge on their prices.

This all said, I would like to have the person prove what their quoting, otherwise it's useless to even quote it. Having a "share" feature within the GPA dashboard that allows you to copy/paste a snippet of code to share anywhere online the data for a specific book, by specific grade, and as an historical reference point for past sales just makes sense to me, and in no way should this be construed as me asking them to sell the farm to do it.

I could do away with this wish list request and ask the buyer to do a print screen, but I might as well be asking them for directions to Mars.

I take it you never got a PM offer on a book that quoted GPA.

In all honesty, no I haven't.

But even if people do offer quoring GPA, there are many data points people can pick out to suit their own needs. Print screens don't overcome this. The 12 month/90 day/last sale offers a very limited snapshot. It doesn't give you the high/low for any given year, the statistical graph of how the book has performed over the years etc.

Seriously, if you want all of the benefits of GPA then it's best to subscribe.

If an embed code were available to GPA subscribers, which could be inserted in a marketplace post, eBay auction, PM or email, I think it's a win-win, because more people would ask "what's GPA" (good PR) and some of the misuses of GPA could be better kept in check.

2c

Heritage already does this...any CGC book up for auction has ALL the GPA data using a simple link.

I take it you never got a PM offer on a book that quoted GPA.

In all honesty, no I haven't.

But even if people do offer quoring GPA, there are many data points people can pick out to suit their own needs. Print screens don't overcome this. The 12 month/90 day/last sale offers a very limited snapshot. It doesn't give you the high/low for any given year, the statistical graph of how the book has performed over the years etc.

Seriously, if you want all of the benefits of GPA then it's best to subscribe.

I see where you're coming from, but in the context of the examples I'm using I see this benefiting the buyer far more than it does a seller.

All I'm suggesting is to level the playing field, to do away incidents where GPA is used out of context, and facilitating a sellers request to prove what's being claimed during negotiation.

In such a case, I don't understand the part about a seller needing a subscription to meet a buyer on their request to buy a book at GPA.

If an embed code were available to GPA subscribers, which could be inserted in a marketplace post, eBay auction, PM or email, I think it's a win-win, because more people would ask "what's GPA" (good PR) and some of the misuses of GPA could be better kept in check.

2c

Heritage already does this...any CGC book up for auction has ALL the GPA data using a simple link.

I think you're confusing this with the CGC census data.

Edit: I do see what you're talking about - there is a link that appears below the CGC census grid, which allows you to view GPA data, and now, it appears that there is also a link to an electronic Overstreet guide.

Anyone know how long this has been available?

2c

Edit: I do see what you're talking about - there is a link that appears below the CGC census grid, which allows you to view GPA data, and now, it appears that there is also a link to an electronic Overstreet guide.

Years.

2c

Years.

That's a seriously cool feature to Heritage auctions and I'm guessing they have a special arrangement. I never noticed it before, probably because of its inconspicuous placement on the listing. It's a lot more information than I was thinking actually - by specific grade rather than the total history of all sales by grade.

Wonder if this is Heritage-only sales data. hm

Wow, this thread grew. :)

Why are you paying people for information that is not theirs to sell....? Why don't you send George a PM with your offer, since it IS his to sell...?

That's a great idea, but I don't know who George is (his username) on the boards to ask him. I did go to his site 1st and tried the "Free test drive" but that was only for 3 predetermined books.

Plus, I've seen this type of thread here on the boards before, so I knew there wasn't a subscribe as you go option. (shrug)

I just think the requests for GPA info from non-subscribers are a bit tacky. If you want the information, subscribe.

Well, I knew it wasn't a big deal because of the Heritage thing. The book I wanted info on isn't currently up for auction. And hey, I did offer to pay for the info. ;)

Wow, this thread grew. :)

Why are you paying people for information that is not theirs to sell....? Why don't you send George a PM with your offer, since it IS his to sell...?

That's a great idea, but I don't know who George is (his username)

gpanalysis.

I know, shocking, right? ;)

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showprofile&User=887

Plus, I've seen this type of thread here on the boards before, so I knew there wasn't a subscribe as you go option. (shrug)

And hey, I did offer to pay for the info. ;)

Well, yes, but you offered to pay someone for what is not theirs to sell. That's the same thing, in principle, as buying a TV "off the back of a truck."

I had a sub. for a while, but since i'm only a collector, price is very subjective to me, based on my need. I would use it if it had a one day or one week rate, or better yet, pay per inquiry. That way, I could use it when deciding which comic to purchase in a big auction with multiple books that i want.

I do know that certain websites sell info (like records, phone numbers) on an inquiry based method... so it is possible.