• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I paid for insurance, BUT.....

37 posts in this topic

Hey all!

Lately, I have had a real problem with sellers who COLLECT money for insurance and then don't insure the book.

Prime example: A seller charged me $13 ($10 for shipping and $3 for insurance) -- hefty charges I know -- but I put up the $13 (it was for a $99 CGC book too). So I get it in the mail and the seller only paid $5.75(!) for postage (he was trying to bank over $6 in shipping charges alone!) and the package did NOT have insurance on it. Additionally, the CGC holder came to me "cracked". It almost made me want to scream out of frustration (well, not really, but you get my point).

So a couple of questions/comments:

(1) What do you think would be reasonable to ask of this seller? I think $7 reholding fee + $6 back for shipping difference for a total of $13 -- I would have let the difference between $10 and $6 go if he had insured the CGC book. I also find that USPS treats packages nicer if they have been insured because they could potentially be responsible for damages.

(2) As a matter of policy, I charge buyer for EXACT shipping charges AND require insurance. When I buy comics, I ALWAYS pay for insurance along with shipping.

But lately, about 50% of my comics have come with no insurance when I have specifically paid for it. so

(a) Do you (for those who sell books) charge a handling fee or exact shipping charges?

(b) Do you have people pay for insurance and then don't put insurance on the package? I think that's a raw deal.

I just had to get this out -- it has been frustrating of late for me.

Peter

if you paid for insurance then the seller is liable for any loss/ damage to the book. it then becomes HIS problem if he didn't insure the book, not yours.

i'm pretty sure legally, that if you have proof that you paid for insurance then the onus is on the seller if anything happens to the item.

I also want to make this a larger issue than just me. Because the lack of insurance after paying for it has happened to me so much lately, I cannot believe I am the only one. Has this happened to you? And how do you usually handle it? Maybe we can all learn something.

Since the seller forgot to insure the package, he should be held liable for the damage. He should cover re-slabbing costs, shipping there and back from CGC, and the amount he over-charged you for shipping.

As a seller, I usually charge domestic customers 50 cents to $1 more than actual shipping costs since I go the extra mile when I package books. I also think the small fee for handling is justified because I ship the following day that I receive payment.

International customers pay actual shipping costs with no handling fees. I also give international buyers a bonus if they use the BIN option on my auctions. The bonus is usually a $5 discount off of shipping tongue.gif

Some of the time what I ask from the buyer in shipping doesn't equal the price of the sticker on the box..but that price doesn't consider the cost of bubble wrap or styrafoam peanuts, etc..those aren't free. Anyways, if the case is severly cracked, then it might be something to pursue..if it's got a little crack in it..That stuff happens..I've shipped stuff triple bubble wrap and had something get a tiny crack. Plastic cracks, it's a fact of life :\

Brian

I recently paid to have some comics shipped first class insured. They arrived bulk media and not insured. I contacted the seller and including my invoice which specifically stated first class insured and requested a refund of the difference. She (to my surprise) refunded me $10.

Generally, I charge just about the exact amount when I ship something priority mail insured. The package is supplied from the post office so there is no cost to me. But, if I have to purchase a box then I figure the cost into the shipping and handling costs.

I will not buy from sellers who try to make a killing on their shipping charges.

I am often guilty of forgetting to put the insurance on if somebody pays for it - I'm sending 10-20 packages out a day, and it slips. If I forget, I either give the person a credit or paypal him/her back (plus additional to cover the Paypal fees).

Give your sellers some slack - if 1) he's a high volume shipper and 2) shipping from home it is very easy to forget the insurance.

If the seller's volume is too great for them to provide the services for which have been paid by the customer then they should reduce their volume. Charging for, but not providing is a poor business practice and may be viewed as the buyer as a ripoff. I know I felt cheated when I paid for the insurance and the package was sent unisured.

How would you, as the seller, feel if you recieved payment, but it was 2 or 3 dollars short? Would you say, oh well, the buyer has probably bought alot of items and just forget the actual amount. I'll send it anyway with no hard feelings.

I doubt it so don't ask for buyers to cut the sellers some slack when they do not fulfill their obligation by insuring a package when insurance is requested/required and paid for.

I hate shipping profiteers. I can understand that the packing material doesn't come free, and expect some premium to actual shipping costs, but sellers should have reasonable shipping.

I once bought a single comic that the seller said would be $6 west of the Mississippi and $7 east of it. I was flabergasted when living east of the MI, the total shipping was the $3.85 priority. I never contacted him about it, but should have.

My shipping costs are on the high side to begin with. 10.00 for the first book (CGC) and 2.50 every one thereafter. Some buyers request I reduce it BEFORE shipping which I do if it does seem high. Sometimes I won't depending on how I'm shipping it.

I always overestimate on weight. So far on my recent auctions I've refunded three buyers for shipping. 1 to Canada, 1 to England and 1 in the U.S.

The shipping refund to Canada was 12.00 or so. WAAAYYY overestimated on weight and shipping class (and I suspected the buyer new that, but paid anyway). He was VERY pleased when I refunded the balance. I use the 'parcel' rate to Canada and it sometimes ends up being 'letter' which greatly reduces the cost.

I know if I received a package that was overcharged for shipping I'd be pissed and expect a refund so I do so for my buyers.

I don't charge for insurance unless the sale is over 100.00 and haven't forgotten to include it yet. I also pack pretty well against damage. I think CI gave some good advice as to your course of action with this seller.

Refunding 5.00 here and there is essential in my opinion...especially when I'm in error! wink.gif

definite pet peeve as well here Peter...

1) What do you think would be reasonable to ask of this seller? I think $7 reholding fee + $6 back for shipping difference for a total of $13 -- I would have let the difference between $10 and $6 go if he had insured the CGC book. I also find that USPS treats packages nicer if they have been insured because they could potentially be responsible for damages.

Seller should pay for your returning book to him and pay for reholdering and pay for it to be sent back to you. Seller is wholly to blame. He should have insured if he charged you for it and that is bogus making that much off shipping.

(2) As a matter of policy, I charge buyer for EXACT shipping charges AND require insurance. When I buy comics, I ALWAYS pay for insurance along with shipping.

But lately, about 50% of my comics have come with no insurance when I have specifically paid for it. so

(a) Do you (for those who sell books) charge a handling fee or exact shipping charges?

I try to charge exact shipping costs according to www.usps.com. It is tough to gauge accurately without a scale but I manage.

1 CGC book in a Diamond Distributiuon box secured with padding/peanuts/bubble wrap = 2 lb 8 oz and I charge accordingly with delivery confirmation.

2 CGC books = 5 lbs with more packaging involved - with multiple CGC books I include hard carton separators

(b) Do you have people pay for insurance and then don't put insurance on the package? I think that's a raw deal.

Never. If I ever forget, I return the insurance money via paypal with a little extra to cover the paypal fees if any. I also stand behind my packaging so if a CGC book is ever sent from me and arrives cracked. I pay for you to ship to CGC and get reholdered. No cost to you. I believe buyer's paying for an auction win should stop at item and agreed upon shipping rate total. If there is anything else needed after that, a responsible seller should take care of the rest. grin.gif

Charging for, but not providing is a poor business practice and may be viewed as the buyer as a ripoff.

I don't, as a matter of course, offer insurance for precisely those reasons. I will, of course, provide it if the customer wants it, but because I don't offer it as a matter of course, it slips. If somebody pays for it and I forget to put the insurance on, I will either (1) offer them a credit on their next purchase or (2) refund it promptly through Paypal, and will send them extra to cover the fees.

The trade off for the customer for not having insurance from me is speed - I ship same day, but if the package needs to be insured they have to wait until Saturday.

The bigger question is - do people really think insurance is necessary? I've sent 5000 packages out (at least!) and haven't seen the need yet. I'm not sending a whole lot of CGC books, but when I do, they're well packaged.

Darth, what would you have done in this situation. I recently bought a CGC book and paid for insurance. However, the seller forgot to insure it but refunded me the money back right away. I got the book safely but what if the book got lost or damaged? What would have been the right thing for the seller to do in that situation? confused.gif

I typically charge a flat rate for CGC books, Priority Mail. Now that the PO has stopped charging a flat rate for everything over 1lb, it makes it hard to estimate shipping, though I've got somewhat of an idea, and usually I'm within $1, because I always add Delivery Confirmation.

As for insurance, I require it on all books over $50, and charge the exact fee (which is listed at the USPS Website). For books over $700, I ship Registered and Insured Mail.

If I ever grossly over estimated the shipping cost, I would refund the money. But I've underestimated it too and don't expect the buyer to pay the extra.

I charge exact cost of postage only. If they want insurance, I'll provide that at cost. I have a scale (bought it on ebay) and it's one of the best purchases I made. For $40, I never make an error in shipping costs.

If the buyer sends extra (sometimes they do), I refund if it's more than a dollar. If it's less than a dollar, I give them the option of a refund, or I'll put the money in the March of Dimes canister at the supermarket. So far, everyone has opted for the donation.

I made the decision early on not to charge a handling fee, despite the cost of bubble wrap and peanuts, etc. I decided to call that stuff "cost of doing business". I did this because I hate being overcharged for shipping, and always check the postage when I've ordered something. If it's over the amount, I want to know where the money went. I know the cost of bubble wrap, etc. and it's not $2-$3 for one square and 13 peanuts (or whatever). I'm not saying it isn't a seller's right to charge for this stuff, I'm just saying I personally don't like it and refuse to be someone who does.

-- Joanna

I recently bought a CGC book and paid for insurance. However, the seller forgot to insure it but refunded me the money back right away. I got the book safely but what if the book got lost or damaged? What would have been the right thing for the seller to do in that situation?

If seller was the one who required insurance, charged you for it, forgot to put it on, and the book got lost, then it is the sellers' burden to rectify the matter. The NICE thing to do would be for the seller to refund you the money and pursue an investigation through USPS/FedEx/UPS to find the book. It may still turn up or be returned. I would also ask if the buyer can be patient and allow the investigation to run its course b4 sending a refund.

If it is a book that is of a high value and irreplacable, then as a good seller, I would take every precaution, irregardless of cost, such as insurance, tracking, registering, customs form, whatever to make sure I anticipate the worst that can happen: loss or theft. that way everything is covered and if the book is destroyed, the buyer gets money back from seller. Seller gets back insured merchandise value from Post Office.

If the seller forgets to put insurance after you ask him and book gets lost, the seller is SOL. Sellers that don't take care of business right don't stay in business for long.

Request a refund of $20 since the case was damaged and you specifically bought insurance to cover this. It only costs $7 to re-holder the case, but by the time you pay for shipping to and fro and insurance both ways, it'll cost you $20.

I have one person in Canada I've bought from who charges $10, and then ships from the U.S. and it only costs him $7. I ignored it the first time, called him on it the 2nd time and he said that he does NOT profit from the shipping charge, and the I ordered a 3rd time and the same thing happened. On my last purchase, I included $6 even though he wanted $10. I'm not in business to fill his pockets with extra money. I don't mind paying an extra $1 or $1.50, but not $3.

As a seller who begins with a basic $3.75 shipping charge which escalates if more comics are included, I get irked when asked if I can lower the shipping charge. C'mon people.... less than $4.00 for a professional packing in top quality envelopes or boxes? So it only costs $2.00 postage. The envelopes and boxes aren't free, neither are the cardboard inserts. Plus it's a pain to wait at the post office. So I make a buck or two. Is that a sin?

I agree that there is a reasonable amount to charge. Each person has their own threshold -for me it's about a $4-$5 profit - if it cost $2.00 in postage but I was charged $7.00, as a buyer I would be miffed. But I can't believe the number of e-mails I get complaining of a reasonable $4.00 charge!

As for Insurance... my business insurance covers mailed packages up to $200.00 in value, so if someone requests Insurance and the value is less than $200.00, I don't buy postal insurance. If damage or loss occurs, I make good on it, but only if insurance is paid for by the customer. So just because postal insurance isn't purchased doesn't mean the Seller neglected it.

Assuming insurance was bought, you are STILL depending upon the seller to file the claim with the post office. I don't think the recipient can make a claim since it was the seller who bought the insurance, not the buyer. So, in either case, you are putting yourself at the mercy of the seller to do the right thing.

It all boils down to checking the feedback rating... it speaks for itself in most cases.

Steve