• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is your FIRST introduction to the Marvel Silver Age?

60 posts in this topic

I don't know if many of you consider this a Silver Age book but it was my first.

asm80.jpg

I bought ASM #80 and FF #94 the same month. I began long runs with ASM #86 and FF #104. But it was Marvel Tales and Marvel's Greatest Comics that fueled my love for SA. Between the Galactus trilogy and the Doc Ock ultimate nullifier storyline, I was hooked.

Then in the mid-70s I found a bunch of cheap Marvel Triple Actions at my then-LCS (Rock Bottom Comics in Columbia, Mo.) Those stories of the original Avengers began my obsession. I bought Avengers #s 46, 49 and 50 at Rock Bottom in 1977 and never looked back. I still have them and will never part with them.

Wow, memories

My first actual SA book was a Fantastic Four #12 I bought at Powells Book Store in Portland, OR back in 1977. Solid VF I paid around $15 for it...My first actual back issue ever bought was a NM ASM #100 I bought at Serendipity Book Store about a week prior for $1.25. (It's BA though)

It had to be about 1979 for me. I was all into X-Men and such at the time and thinking comics were grand, but then one weekend we went to a flea market and I happened upon a Avengers #8 (1st Kang) in Id say around VG- condition for like 50 cents from someone's flea market stuff. I was sold overjoyed how old it was that I took it home and bragged to all my friends on the phone about it like I had some big time comic when I really didn't. Didn't matter because all my friends were like "cool" when they seen it and I the dude with the oldest comic among us for quite some time. It actually felt honorary. To me comics from back then seemed so WAY old and now I got tons of books from today stash that is old than my Avengers was when I bought it. My avengers was about 16 years old when I bough it and it represented a relic from a different time. Today I have hundreds to thousands of comics 16 years or old and they mean nothing. And now in the present, that Avengers #8 doesn't mean that much either, other than me getting nostalgic when I first see it, it still seems like one of the dogs from the Avengers 1st 10 issues. Oh well, so be it.

Ahhh... Memories, like the corner of my mind...

It was the middle of the bronze age when I started collecting, so my very first SA exposure was Marvel's Greatest Comics, Marvel Superheroes and Marvel Tales.

Before I knew how to acquire back issues, my dad - a contractor who built houses - brought me home worn copies of Tec #365, Blackhawk #153 and Strange Tales #91 from a stack he'd found in a basement. I was overjoyed yet mortified that he didn't just take the whole pile. Of course, when he got back there after I'd expressed my dismay, the rest were gone. (Why didn't they just sit there like the stack of Playboys and Penthouses we used to find in that weird fort in the woods?)

The first Silver Age back issues I bought not too long thereafter were Marvel Tales #1, FF #48-50, ASM #44 and #45 plus Origins and Son of Origins and came from Bill Cole’s old shop, the Comic Kingdom. From Bill I found out about the local monthly show, and the rest is history.

For me the one that got me going was a remaindered copy of Bring on the Bad Guys at a tiny college bookstore on one of our summer trips. Probably 1977. Only Marvel SA I'd seen to that point was a few Spider-Man stories from Marvel Treasury #1.

I got Son of Origins and Bring on the Bad Guys for Christmas around '77. Loved both books, and I still love Romita's cover for Bad Guys. Also got that Spectacular Spider-Man treasury in a trade from a kid at school(I traded him some baseball cards). Loved the Green Goblin story.

The 1st SA Marvel (Super-hero) book (not counting the Dr. Droom stuff), was FF #1, which my older brother had (he was 12, and I got all his hand me down books), I was 7 yrs. old (in 1961). :cool:

I started reading these from the very beginning, but the 1st Marvel book that really got me hooked that I can remember purchasing with my OWN money was ASM Ann. #1 along with about 6 or 7 other Marvels that I also purchased that same day in the Summer of '64 (TOS #58, JIM #109, AV #8, FF #31, ASM #18, TTA #61, and a DC books called "World's Finest #143 lol ), and because I had already been reading all the earlier Marvel's for a couple of years, I knew all the Marvel Universe by that time. But of the group of books I bought that day ASM Ann. #1 stands out (maybe because it was bigger, and I really got into all the Pin-Ups, and exciting Splash pages by Ditko), and it still is one of my Favorite SA Marvels. :cloud9:

Wish i had a time machine so i could return to that innocent era. hm

I don't know which I read first, but my two earliest memories of Marvel Comics are Fantastic Four 17 and X-Men 1.

It's quite possible that I read both out of the same stack at my buddy Brad's house. (His folks had stacks of comics around for the kids, my mom HATED comics, lol )

FF #5 bought off the news stands (local Drug Fair in Bladensburg, MD).THAT was my first Marvel Silver Age title that let me know something was up at Marvel/Atlas..I do remember picking up AF #15 at the newsstand, and being disappointed that the sci-fi fantasy stories were not cover featured...but FF#5 just blew me away.

After I was exposed to FF #5, I found FF #1, Hulk #1,3,4,5,6 ,Spider-man #2,3,4 JIM #85, 86 in a small local food store in my town (all purchased within a a few months; 2 month period if I remember). Nope- he did not have FF#2-4 (darn).These were all older comics than what was on the current newsstands at the local "Drug Fair".

Store owner never carried new comics, and there was only one copy of each issue (for some strange reason there were 2 issues of Spiderman #4- my friend saw it and made the store owner "hold" it for me- I owned it already as i purchased it at the store a week ago, but I felt so bad I ended up purchasing the "extra" copy lol)..The spinner rack might have a total of 12 comics on it. Also picked up a lot of older Atlas monster titles (Strange Tales and the scarecrow monster cover, TTA with the living steam shovel, TTA with Moomba, TOS #19)...damn- I can remember them all. And they were not ratty copies nor were they grease-marked with a cheaper price (thank goodness)- they were newsstand fresh. I remember as a 9 year old asking the owner where he got the comics, and he never gave me an answer. I just told him I would love for him to get some of the older monster comics.

Never saw a TOS or TTA super hero title, and never a DC title at the little local store (I guess Iron man had not been introduced yet).. After a few months, the spinner rack was gone, but what a goldmine that turned out to be (for silver age goodness).

In 1982 picking up a ragged copy of X-Men issue#11 from my local comic shop at a fifty percent off sale for the princely sum of $2.00 (which was the second book I bought for over cover price--The first GI-Joe#1) I thought I was a golden God owning that X-men book. Still love that cover. Still have the book. My parents thought i might have had mental problems paying that much for a stupid comic book. Best two bucks i ever spent.

My second Silver Age book was Gorgo#1 at a Garage sale and then I just about lost my mind when I was able to snag a copy of Creepy#1 for a few bucks. Those books seemed like they we're a million years old to me and I loved them dearly. But now that i think of it, it would be like buying copies of books from late 80's/early 90's now.

That is what freaks me out in comics and music. What I thought was so old growing up, is like 80s and 90s stuff is today. I don't know if I will ever wrap my head around that!

Nick Fury 6, I read the Deluxe format series in '88 and wandered into his previous SA apps. culminating in owning a ST 135 which I just sold this year. The irony is it started off because I thought Sienkiewcz (who did the cover to #2) was awesome and ended up finding out about this guy named Steranko all in the span of a few weeks. :cloud9:

What is your FIRST introduction to the Marvel Silver Age?

106111.jpg

In Da 70's Crapper!

:blush:

:roflmao:

I think this would be the best collectable of all time for Stan Lee to sign.

A pic with the look on Stan's face as he's signing it would be golden.

:cloud9: