• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey #50 Splash

66 posts in this topic

Just received notification that Profiles will be selling the Spidey #50 page 8 splash in their next auction

http://www.profilesinhistory.com/items/hollywood-memorabilia-auction-43/original-iconic-comic-splash-art-for-amazing-spider-man-50.html

Given that this belongs to Mike Burkey, why would he sell this particular piece when he has so many other pieces that he could sell that are not personalised to him. Another question would be, surely Mike as arguably the biggest OA dealer, should be able to get a better price for this than Profiles can ?

I'm sure someone mentioned that Mike will be appearing in an up comming episode of Hollywood Treasures, so maybe he agrees on camera for them to have this piece. If that is the case, i cant wait to hear the hyperbole that Joe from Profiles says.

i cant wait to hear the hyperbole that Joe from Profiles says.

are you saying this board isn't already full of hyperbole???

hm

This board is full of a lot of things, but it doesnt broadcast its messages to the uneducated masses in the same way that a syfy television program does. :devil:

hm

This board is full of a lot of things, but it doesnt broadcast its messages to the uneducated masses in the same way that a syfy television program does. :devil:

Boy, is that the truth. As I said in another thread, I have my own thoughts about the faux, manipulated "reality" that's presented, but it looks like people are eating it up, unquestioningly. Look no further than everyone now believing that Stan Lee has "storage units full of artwork" on the basis of one dramatic suggestion.

it doesnt broadcast its messages to the uneducated masses in the same way that a syfy television program does. :devil:

I agree with that

well, to a point at least

Do you agree with Profiles' appraisal of Steven Fishler's FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet at $3M?

Burkey no longer owns the ASM 50 splash. The new owner must be selling it. Mike will be appearing on the show. Maybe he is the expert that authenticates the art.

Do you know who's the purported "new owner"? Do they have anything to do with Profiles?

Regardless, looks like you're onto something (unless you're hinting at something you already know). The splash can be seen in this publicity photo in the pile of art that's being evaluated by Profiles and Burkey:

hollywoodtreasure05.jpg

It's peeking out from the bottom of the stack under Jon Mankuta's right arm. Compare the portion we can see to the the left side of the splash, upside down:

asm50splash2.jpg

So looks like it may be part of a discussion from Mike's episode.

it doesnt broadcast its messages to the uneducated masses in the same way that a syfy television program does. :devil:

I agree with that

well, to a point at least

Do you agree with Profiles' appraisal of Steven Fishler's FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet at $3M?

No

but a Bride of Frankenstein 1sh that is the only copy known to exist of the advance style is currently at $717k at Heritage

hm

Boy, is that the truth. As I said in another thread, I have my own thoughts about the faux, manipulated "reality" that's presented, but it looks like people are eating it up, unquestioningly. Look no further than everyone now believing that Stan Lee has "storage units full of artwork" on the basis of one dramatic suggestion.

Talking about faux manipulating "reality", i just loved the bit where Joe continually hammered home that the FF #12 was the most important piece of comic book art in the world......REALLY !!!, so i suppose the Amazing Fantasy #15 or Spidey #1 or X-Men #1 or the TOS #39 complete books are nothing compared to this????

Burkey no longer owns the ASM 50 splash. The new owner must be selling it. Mike will be appearing on the show. Maybe he is the expert that authenticates the art.

Do you know who's the purported "new owner"? Do they have anything to do with Profiles?

Regardless, looks like you're onto something (unless you're hinting at something you already know). The splash can be seen in this publicity photo in the pile of art that's being evaluated by Profiles and Burkey:

hollywoodtreasure05.jpg

It's peeking out from the bottom of the stack under Jon Mankuta's right arm. Compare the portion we can see to the the left side of the splash, upside down:

asm50splash2.jpg

So looks like it may be part of a discussion from Mike's episode.

Good eye! :thumbsup:

I'm enjoying the show so far, but it's definitely "manipulated reality". That Frankenstein 6-sheet bit was a bit of farce; not like everyone doesn't know about it already and the fact that it's been in a museum exhibition. It's not like it came out of nowhere and needed to be "authenticated" by Joe, or that it had a snowball's chance in hell of being consigned (at least not without floating that $3M figure into the public conscience first)! Maybe it'll be consigned in a future episode now that that's out there. ;) Like I said, though, I'm really enjoying the show - it's really good TV and I wish Joe and his team good luck with it.

Felix, I think you need to consign something to them so we can get you and Mankuta on-screen together - now THAT would be good TV! :grin:

Anyway, does anyone have an idea of how much the ASM #50 splash last sold for and how much it might go for this time around? (shrug)