• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spidey #50 Splash

66 posts in this topic

Do you agree with Profiles' appraisal of Steven Fishler's FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet at $3M?

People keep saying every time Joe states a number that it's an "appraisal". From what I've noticed he says two different things:

"I believe this will go for between $X.XX and $X.XX"

That's an appraisal. Then he says stuff like:

"In the right situation this could go as high as $X.XX or even $X.XX"

That's the hype and bull to entice the consignor and add drama. Don't confuse the hype with the somewhat realistic estimate.

Do you agree with Profiles' appraisal of Steven Fishler's FRANKENSTEIN 6-sheet at $3M?

People keep saying every time Joe states a number that it's an "appraisal". From what I've noticed he says two different things:

"I believe this will go for between $X.XX and $X.XX"

That's an appraisal. Then he says stuff like:

"In the right situation this could go as high as $X.XX or even $X.XX"

That's the hype and bull to entice the consignor and add drama. Don't confuse the hype with the somewhat realistic estimate.

Given that Joe/Profiles are presented as experts, any number they say is going to be taken as an appraisal. "$3M" is hype and bull but I doubt Metropolis is complaining about it lol

In one of the early episodes (I think it was regarding the Mary Poppins bag), Joe says that he usually gives intentionally low estimates. Interesting that this didn't happen here.

i cant wait to hear the hyperbole that Joe from Profiles says.

are you saying this board isn't already full of hyperbole???

hm

This board is full of a lot of things, but it doesnt broadcast its messages to the uneducated masses in the same way that a syfy television program does. :devil:

Boy, is that the truth. As I said in another thread, I have my own thoughts about the faux, manipulated "reality" that's presented, but it looks like people are eating it up, unquestioningly. Look no further than everyone now believing that Stan Lee has "storage units full of artwork" on the basis of one dramatic suggestion.

Talking about faux manipulating "reality", i just loved the bit where Joe continually hammered home that the FF #12 was the most important piece of comic book art in the world......REALLY !!!, so i suppose the Amazing Fantasy #15 or Spidey #1 or X-Men #1 or the TOS #39 complete books are nothing compared to this????

That was silly, but could be chalked up to the aforementioned hyperbole that is par for the course for shows like this. Going back a little further, though, the show suggests that Profiles has no idea who's the unnamed "anonymous" owner of the FF #12 art. We just see "Carlos" and all communication is apparently done through him, even phone calls. That's more along the lines of the faux reality I was talking about.

Burkey no longer owns the ASM 50 splash. The new owner must be selling it. Mike will be appearing on the show. Maybe he is the expert that authenticates the art.

Do you know who's the purported "new owner"? Do they have anything to do with Profiles?

Regardless, looks like you're onto something (unless you're hinting at something you already know). The splash can be seen in this publicity photo in the pile of art that's being evaluated by Profiles and Burkey:

hollywoodtreasure05.jpg

It's peeking out from the bottom of the stack under Jon Mankuta's right arm. Compare the portion we can see to the the left side of the splash, upside down:

asm50splash2.jpg

So looks like it may be part of a discussion from Mike's episode.

That's also the Peanuts Sunday that he won in the recent ComicLink auction (and admittedly, it was under the radar and he got it for a great price).

Boy, is that the truth. As I said in another thread, I have my own thoughts about the faux, manipulated "reality" that's presented, but it looks like people are eating it up, unquestioningly. Look no further than everyone now believing that Stan Lee has "storage units full of artwork" on the basis of one dramatic suggestion.

I'm enjoying the show so far, but it's definitely "manipulated reality". That Frankenstein 6-sheet bit was a bit of farce; not like everyone doesn't know about it already and the fact that it's been in a museum exhibition. It's not like it came out of nowhere and needed to be "authenticated" by Joe, or that it had a snowball's chance in hell of being consigned (at least not without floating that $3M figure into the public conscience first)! Maybe it'll be consigned in a future episode now that that's out there. ;) Like I said, though, I'm really enjoying the show - it's really good TV and I wish Joe and his team good luck with it.

That segment was all about establishing a hyped-up value for the poster. The show is fun and it may be good TV...but that segment, in particular, does nothing for the credibility of those involved. Between Metropolis, unnamed "anonymous" owner of FF #12 art, and Romitaman, they should have called this show HOLLYWOOD NEPOTISM:P

Everyone else can decide for themselves if artificially raising the perception of values in a hobby is something that's good for that hobby.

Felix, I think you need to consign something to them so we can get you and Mankuta on-screen together - now THAT would be good TV! :grin:

Heheh...I'd have no problem doing something like that live. But not for their editors. Like everything else, they'd only show what they want to show...the audience would only see what they want you to see. Hence, "manipulated reality".

Felix, I think you need to consign something to them so we can get you and Mankuta on-screen together - now THAT would be good TV! :grin:

Heheh...I'd have no problem doing something like that live. But not for their editors. Like everything else, they'd only show what they want to show...the audience would only see what they want you to see. Hence, "manipulated reality".

I already saw that segment with you and Jon, it was on pay per view.

Good stuff starts at 40 second in, and Felix put a cap on it at 1:32. :grin:

I already saw that segment with you and Jon, it was on pay per view.

Good stuff starts at 40 second in, and Felix put a cap on it at 1:32. :grin:

Was that you coming out of the corner to help Felix out?

I love thai boxing. That video had me fooled, but apparently that is a worked fight- its a predetermined match to entertain the foreigners.

The refereeing there is so lax (compared to the states), that I bought it.

When I saw the garbage can lids I figured that out too. Once the first guy to get hit with one got his guard up at the last moment it was easy to see that. Fun video though.

Joe is holding the splash to ASM 43 and under Mankuta's arm, (on top of the 50 splash), is the splash to ASM 47. Hmm, seems to be a pattern here. I'm going to guess that the piece that Mankuta is holding up is the splash to ASM 39?

Good catch. Very impressive to see so many large Romita splashes in one place.

Someone above said Mike B no longer owns the ASM 50 splash. Do the other ASM splashes in that photo belong to other collectors as well?

Joe is holding the splash to ASM 43 and under Mankuta's arm, (on top of the 50 splash), is the splash to ASM 47. Hmm, seems to be a pattern here. I'm going to guess that the piece that Mankuta is holding up is the splash to ASM 39?

Someone above said Mike B no longer owns the ASM 50 splash. Do the other ASM splashes in that photo belong to other collectors as well?

when the top collector of any micro-area of a hobby is selling, it should be a message to the rest of you about what that person feels about the hobby that is causing him to sell.

#1 he probably sells because he feels the price has peaked - I agree

#2 he probably also feels that it is not wise to continue holding such property - I also agree

guys like Mike who know what they're doing are in the best position to be able to judge such situations and I think his message is clear..

Or #3, someone offered him stupid money.

when the top collector of any micro-area of a hobby is selling, it should be a message to the rest of you about what that person feels about the hobby that is causing him to sell.

#2 he probably also feels that it is not wise to continue holding such property - I also agree

guys like Mike who know what they're doing are in the best position to be able to judge such situations and I think his message is clear..

Well i would suggest the following as a likely scenario, just as much as your 2 points above -

1) Mike has over the last 15 years pushed the price of Romita pages to all time highs, by basically buying (at ever increasing prices) pretty much every page that he could find. Given that he now has so many of the the pages that very few examples ever make any public sale, he has decided that its wise to sell some of the pieces and create some traction in this market place. After all he has set record highs for Spidey pages year after year and by cornering the supply of pages, he has been able to justify this price as much as possible. Maybe he has now reached the point where to release some pages in a controlled manner s the only way to further push the price higher.

2) He has found another area that he feels is undervalued and warrents his attention and releasing some pages to fund those other purchases is a wiser move than liquidating other assets that he has more into.

Off course comicartcom comments could also be true :ohnoez:

It's been going on for a couple of years now:

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2765909&fpart=1

I wondered the same thing as you back then. But it has been two years, and he still appears as active as ever in his business. He may have other reasons (as Galactus notes). He just seems like an OA lifer to me. If he was really that worried about the market, I would think he'd try to move everything, not just Romita art. And yet he still buys. Anyhow, we're all just speculating...look forward to hearing what he has to say on the show.

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2765909&fpart=1

I wondered the same thing as you back then. But it has been two years, and he still appears as active as ever in his business. He may have other reasons (as Galactus notes). He just seems like an OA lifer to me. If he was really that worried about the market, I would think he'd try to move everything, not just Romita art. And yet he still buys. Anyhow, we're all just speculating...look forward to hearing what he has to say on the show.

What i find surprising is how few pieces have actually gone. i would have throught that the majority of the great splash pages would have sold if nothing else.

What i find surprising is how few pieces have actually gone. i would have throught that the majority of the great splash pages would have sold if nothing else.

I love the Spider-Man 77 splash and that one actually did sell. Not sure if it's mostly Buscema pencils and maybe wasn't priced as high? It also has suffered more tanning than some of the others.

I owned that splash at one point in time. BEAUTIFUL piece but had tanned significantly. That said, would not mind getting it back (although I would rather have the cover!!!!!)

Actually the reason I like the splash is because the cover is one of my favorites and the splash is pretty close to the cover image. Hopefully I'll have a nice Lizard vs. Spider-Man painting in a few months. Do you know if that's mostly JRSR art or is it mostly Buscema? (I know I should be able to tell just by looking at it)

Boy, is that the truth. As I said in another thread, I have my own thoughts about the faux, manipulated "reality" that's presented, but it looks like people are eating it up, unquestioningly.

The cloak and dagger culture that permeates the top end of the hobby makes such things possible. The more transparent the hobby becomes, the less susceptible it will be to the manipulations of a few.

Boy, is that the truth. As I said in another thread, I have my own thoughts about the faux, manipulated "reality" that's presented, but it looks like people are eating it up, unquestioningly.

The cloak and dagger culture that permeates the top end of the hobby makes such things possible. The more transparent the hobby becomes, the less susceptible it will be to the manipulations of a few.

Couldn't agree with you more, but sorry to say, it's a minority opinion. Most would rather keep quiet for fear of offending the establishment and/or maintaining a sense of exclusivity. Maybe that will change...we'll see. Thanks to the current few who call it like they see it.