• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is this a good example of Boards community spirit?

171 posts in this topic

OK, I'm interested to hear what fellow board members think of this situation. I'm not mentioning names at the moment because I want to see if people think that this is an OK way to behave. I am not personally involved in it but a friend of mine is.

In a boards selling thread, the seller offers a free book to the first person who posts a :takeit: My friend (who I shall call Pietro) posts a :takeit: Another board member (who I shall call Vernon) posts a :takeit: a several seconds later.

Pietro is recognised by the seller as the rightful winner of the book and posts so in the thread. Shortly after, Vernon PM's Pietro and says that posting a lone :takeit: without quoting the book is against the rules. Pietro had already realised that he hadn't quoted and had gone back to edit in a quote before Vernon had contacted him.

Pietro told Vernon that it was a mistake that he hadn't quoted and not wanting for there to be hassle over the book, told Vernon that he could contact the seller and take the book himself.

Without saying anything else, Vernon contacted the seller and told them what Pietro had said. The seller let Vernon have the book. Vernon did not speak to Pietro to say that he would be contacting the seller or to say thank you or even to acknowledge the giving up of the book.

I think this a very krappy way for a member of this community to act.

Firstly telling someone that posting :takeit: without quoting the book is against the rules, isn't correct. There is nothing in the guidelines about it. It's is entirely down to the seller how they want to run the sale in this respect. I recently ran a big sales thread and there was no requirement to quote the book that was being taken. Saying this was complete BS.

Secondly. not having the politeness or common decency to even acknowledge the fact that the book had been given up for him let alone saying thank you is arrogance and rudeness of the highest order. Oh yeah, that's a real member of the community and it's not like he's a newbie either.

Anyway, I haven't started this thread to try to get the book back for my friend. The seller has already made it up to him because they felt bad about how it turned out which was a very generous gesture.

Basically, I want to know if other board members think this is a really, really poor way for an established board member to treat another? Or am I just over reacting?

There is no rule that says you MUST quote a book before posting a :takeit: It's actually assumed that the book last posted is the one sold but in any case Pietro pulled the trigger FIRST. Whomever Vernon is he's a real .

Out 'em. :sumo:

This is actually an easy one to settle

Posting a lone :takeit: is fine as long as it's in reply to the book in question.

All you have to do is click the hotlink at the top of the :takeit: message and it will take you to the page the :takeit: is referring to.

Also, doing that in a free book thread is pretty 3rd grade.

Where the hell does it say in the rules you have to quote the book in question? Utter bollocks. Causing a stink over a free book sounds like sour grapes, and not even saying anything, let alone 'thanks' to the guy who gave it up stinks.

It's a community until somebody wants something bad enough to snatch it from someone else.

How fast did the :takeit: sign go up after the first book was offered? If the second book wasn't posted yet, there should be no question who has it. (shrug)

DR.X

This was a book that was being offered for free at the end of a selling thread. The post offering the book stated "first :takeit: WINS."

I won 6 free books in one shot last night, but then told the seller in the thread I really didn't want to hog all those free books and would just take one book so others could get a shot at them. No reason to scoop up all that free goodness when others are wanting them too.

But to fight over free books - UGH! doh!

"first :takeit: WINS."

Appeared in:

If that's the case there's only one book 'taken' twice. Pretty obvious who it was. I wonder if the other two posters who didn't quote the books got PMs too meh

OK, I'm missing what's wrong here...

Pietro told Vernon that he could have the book?

Vernon contacted the seller explaining that?

Vernon got the book.

Yes, Vernon should PM Pietro back and say thanks, or post it publically in the thread...

Is that all, or am I mis-understanding what happened? (shrug)