• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bests Comics of Each Decade

55 posts in this topic

Guys, I am interested to hear what people's opinions are as to the best comic books of the respective decades. I love comics, but only this year have started to branch out from my Modern Superhero focus and have a lot of catching up to do! I figure this would be a great place to turn to get some ideas. Also, if you know of the books being reprinted in an affordable TPB or HC, please note that as well.

If there has been a thread like this already, apologize for the duplication and if someone can point it out to me that would be great!

Thanks!

Here's two of my personal favorites:

1980s - Death in the Family (Batman 426-429)

1990s - X-O Manowar #14 and #15 (I think the team up of X-O with Turok to kill some dinosaurs in the sewer just rocks!)

Here you go:

50's - Pre-Code EC Horror Titles (Vault and Tales - EC reprinted these in 70's and 90's. I've found all my reprints at shows. Alot more affordable than the originals)

60's - Fantastic Four Surfer Issues (48-50, 57-60, 72-78? MArvel Essentials???)

70's - ASM 121-122 (I think these were reprinted. Try Marvel Tales)

80's - Miller DD's, Dark Knight Returns (Both can be gotten in TPB's)

90's - Preacher (All in TPB's. I think there are 9 of them. Highly recommend!)

Now - 100 Bullets (Entire Series - All in TPB's. Highly Recommend this Title)

Chris

40s Will Eisner's The Spirit. Reprinted many times. Currently being reprinted by DC in the form of The Spirit Archives.

50s As above- the ECs. Some of the best comics ever made.

60s The middle of the Kirby/ Lee FF run.

70s Byrne x-men

80s Miller DD, Dark Knight Returns, Watchmen (one of the three depending on my mood)

90s Preacher

you know what Im going to say for the 1980s!

70s: Byrne X-men

80s: GI JOE....dont laugh, they had some great stories early on in the run.

90s: Strangers in Paradise

now: ?

I forgot to add all the reprints that weren't mentioned elswhere.

The Kirby Lee FFs are reprinted up to issue 60 in the "essential" series. I just read them that way over the summer. Black and white isn't perfect, but they're cheap.

The Byrne X-Men are reprinted in the "Essential" series as well. They were also reprinted (and f***ed with/ retcon style) in the Classic X-Men series. You can get readinig copies cheap enough though and they're definitely out there. Ebay is full of them.

The Miller DDs are reprinted in the Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller series of trades. Miller writes and draws every book in volume 2, so that's the height of the series. He just draws volume 1 and he only does the layouts (with Janson finishes) in most of volume 3. Both are still good, just not as good as the heart of his run.

Watchmen and Dark Knight Returns both have trades.

1930s Mickey Mouse Don't laugh. Depression-era Mickey are outstanding comics. Mickey was not the happy-go-lucky mouse who cashed in his Disney stock and lives in Florida. Oh no. He was a seriously down on his luck rodent. Check some out if you have a chance)

1940s Carl Barks Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge.. I can't believe you guys are overlooking these - they still are better than everything published today.

1950s EC horror books. As discussed before

1960s Fantastic Four. Specifically issues 37-51.

1970s Engelhart/Rogers Batman stories and Simonson Manhunter stories (Detective 437-443 and then Detective 467-481

1980s Dark Knight. As discussed before

1990s Sandman. Although the awful art in several of them makes it difficult.

2000s Amazing Spider-Man I really like the current JMS run. It is well written and quite interesting.

I totally spaced on the Engelhart/Rogers Batman stories. Awesome stuff. One of my favorite Joker stories is in there and Rogers art just couldn't be beat back then.

I'm no expert on comics pre-1960, so I can't make a call on those decades.

Best comics for each decade after that. That's tough. If you had asked best comics each year, that might be easier. I've tried to narrow it down to a single story/storyline in each decade.

1960's

"This Man, This Monster" Fantastic Four #51

1970's

"The Final Threat" Avengers Annual 7/"Death Watch" Marvel Two-In-One Annual 2

(two-part story - death of Warlock & Thanos)

1980's - tie:

"The Kid Who Collected Spider-Man" ASM 248/"The Anatomy Lesson" Saga of the Swamp Thing 21

1990's: tie

"Marvels" by Alex Ross and Kurt Busiek/"The Golden Age" James Robinson & Paul Smith

2000's:

"Severance Package", Spider-Man's Tangled Web 4

Marvels was excellent as well. Especially if you have an interest in the entirety of the marvel universe. But even without it it was very cool.

Those Warlock/ Thanos stories were awesome. Although I have a hard time severing those books from the Strange Tales/ Warlock run that preceded it (which would also make a good candidate for best 70s story. As would starlin's Captain Marvel stuff.)

My own 2 cents (3 cents CDN)...

1930's.... Segar's Popeye from this period is amazing. Mickey Mouse is excellent as well (Good call Donut)

1940's.... Barks' Uncle Scrooge

1950's.... pre-code EC's

1960's.... FF particularly 44-70

1970's .... Wrightson's Swamp Thing 1-10

1980's .... Elfquest, Akira, Miller DD

1990's .... Strangers in Paradise, Preacher, Sandman

2000's .... 100 Bullets

I believe all of these are available in collected editions, although some are harder to find than others. The three most recent decades are all in print every day.

You mentioned branching out from super-hero... I didn't even realize until I was reviewing my list that only 2 of the 13 titles are in the genre...

Good luck to you. There's a world of great reading out there!

Again, thanks to everyone for the great suggestions.

Can someone clarify what a Marvel Masterpiece/work is? I am thinking of those hardcover books that Marvel publish(es)/(ed) that I believe are similar to the DC Archives. Am I totally off?

Thanks,