• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How CGC started my family and gave me my future

52 posts in this topic

thats a pretty good trick with the midi insert... should be done with the Have a Cigar post, Pink Floyd maybe... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

foreheadslap.gif yes, George Carlin as the priest...now I remember!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

sorry, i was a little drunk when i saw it!! makepoint.gif

Well, a little over 5 years went by and we were still talking about kids. But we had an excess of bills.

We made an investment in a purchase of Amazing Fantasy #15 earlier, and were waiting for the right time to sell. My wife, who knows nothing about comics, put a LOT of faith in me in the purchase of this book. It was a stunning copy. I thought, worst case scenario, we break even. For me, I had always wanted AF #15 my whole life. It was my 'grail' book.

I was sad to move it, but I wanted a family more than I wanted comics.

First off.. congrats on your girl, I have a 5 month old little girl... Ellen,

and while I am no longer buying comics now like I used to because of the added expense of her, I am still keeping what comics I already own as an investment, and enjoyment as a collector.

Not to nit pik your story , but if you didnt purchase the AF #15 in the first place, would you then not have been in debt? Or at least not in near as bad as before purchase?

You say you bought it as an investment, how long ago? what price paid? what grade was it?Did you double the price paid? triple?

Did other factors beside being a CGc slabbed comic such as time, demand and the current market increase the value as well as being CGC slab?

I assume if it was indeed your "grail " then I assume you also own alot of other comics too? that attributed partially to your debt?

And as I have been told by many people , and have since learned myself.. " no one is EVER ""ready"" to have kids.. you just do it, and deal with each day as it comes... who knows what the future holds in store for us.. or them.

So while I do applaud you giving proper credit to CGC for increasing the sale of your AF#15 at a higher price then perhaps you might have recieved if you sold it raw, it is hard for me to honestly say it was the reason you were able to start your family.

Did it make it easier to start one ?.. perhaps.

More comfortable, and at ease with your bills?.. perhaps.

But in the end we all do what we want, and if you both wanted kids 5 years ago, you would have tried 5 years ago, even if you were unemployeed and pennyless.

While not wise to do , and I feel the same way as you as wanting to start off on a fiscal high note when I brought my Ellen into the world.

While I think post above was a bit harsh in its wording... I agree with him that this was a little bit over kill, and perhaps a bit to much credit was given to CGC for the wrong .. albiet.. very nice reasons of starting your family..

which is never a bad thing.

Family first,

all else second.

Dont mean to bash about your nice story, your sentiment was plainly sincere.

Or perhaps you are just trying to get 3 free Express submissions by flattering S.B.

Zeman

I have a 1 year old boy and 4 year old girl. For those with children, you may have felt this -- as a collector, children bring a new purpose to the collecting. I will be in a position to pass along my collection to my son (and/or daughter) if he grows interested in comics.

With Dad's collection in the house and regular comic purchases, he will certainly have every opportunity to become interested in collecting. If not, so be it. If he grows interested -- he will inherit one heck of a collection some day! (And this will make up for my Grandmother throwing out my Father's massive collection of 1940's superhero comics -- I still shed a tear when I think of that...)