• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Batman #1 (1940) CGC 8.0 (MP) sells for $10,250 on Mound City Auction.

79 posts in this topic

I also doubt proxibid is paying you an extra 15k and your whole story seems suspect. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just giving my opinion on the truthfulness of your statement.
I read through the entire terms and conditions at proxibid, and it seems quite straight forward that they take NO responsibilty... but maybe mound city had some special insurance arrangement or something else... but it does seem "suspcious" that an internet auction host would guarantee a price on an item, regardless of whether they approved the bidder or not, as they don't preapprove more than a token CC charge ...but I honestly do not know... I am sure mound city can provide proof of their statements if push comes to shove, but I am not sure , outside of their reputation, what would motivate them to do such?

that said, I still wonder how the book got to 41K in the first place...everyone knew that was not a realistic/fair market price to pay for that book, so who was the underbidder that kept pushing up the stolen card bidder? was it mound city themselves?...if so, a black eye for sure (shilling, no matter how you define the legality of it)...was it another bidder? and if so, why didn't they offer the book to them at their underbid?...

lots of questions, maybe we will get answers to them

Didn't he say that the "high bidder" last time was using a stolen credit card? So perhaps he did it out of sport, or for whatever reason. Therefore the $15k payment by Proxibid was for fraud/damage mitigation it would seem, and is in no way reflective of what the actual selling price of the book was.

Similarly, if my home was burglarized and a Batman #1 was stolen, and I fraudulently reported the value as an inflated $25,000 and was paid by the insurance company, should I report that as a "sale" and seek to garner a "world record" designation and/or report this to GPA? Absolutely not.

I see very little difference here with this transaction. The book sold for slightly under what Gator percieves (and he tracks this more than anyone) to be market value. Period, end of story

I love you Bill....... :acclaim:

I also doubt proxibid is paying you an extra 15k and your whole story seems suspect. I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just giving my opinion on the truthfulness of your statement.
I read through the entire terms and conditions at proxibid, and it seems quite straight forward that they take NO responsibilty... but maybe mound city had some special insurance arrangement or something else... but it does seem "suspcious" that an internet auction host would guarantee a price on an item, regardless of whether they approved the bidder or not, as they don't preapprove more than a token CC charge ...but I honestly do not know... I am sure mound city can provide proof of their statements if push comes to shove, but I am not sure , outside of their reputation, what would motivate them to do such?

that said, I still wonder how the book got to 41K in the first place...everyone knew that was not a realistic/fair market price to pay for that book, so who was the underbidder that kept pushing up the stolen card bidder? was it mound city themselves?...if so, a black eye for sure (shilling, no matter how you define the legality of it)...was it another bidder? and if so, why didn't they offer the book to them at their underbid?...

lots of questions, maybe we will get answers to them

Didn't he say that the "high bidder" last time was using a stolen credit card? So perhaps he did it out of sport, or for whatever reason. Therefore the $15k payment by Proxibid was for fraud/damage mitigation it would seem, and is in no way reflective of what the actual selling price of the book was.

Similarly, if my home was burglarized and a Batman #1 was stolen, and I fraudulently reported the value as an inflated $25,000 and was paid by the insurance company, should I report that as a "sale" and seek to garner a "world record" designation and/or report this to GPA? Absolutely not.

I see very little difference here with this transaction. The book sold for slightly under what Gator percieves (and he tracks this more than anyone) to be market value. Period, end of story

I love you Bill....... :acclaim:

The feeling is quite mutual Philly <3

That's Mound City for ya... lol

Why someone would not sell books like that on Heritage instead is beyond me. doh!

so why do you think heritage is the only auction site? you like auction houses that bid up their own stuff do ya??

No, they are not the only site, but If it were me selling a book like that then I'd rather take it to a well know venue with a much BROADER audience...but hey, to each their own :foryou:

Heck, that book would've netted the seller more on ebay lol

That's Mound City for ya... lol

Why someone would not sell books like that on Heritage instead is beyond me. doh!

so why do you think heritage is the only auction site? you like auction houses that bid up their own stuff do ya??

No, they are not the only site, but If it were me selling a book like that than I'd rather take it to a well know venue with a much BROADER audience...but hey, to each there own :foryou:

Heck, that book would've netted the seller more on ebay lol

indeed

I thought about that as well after i wrote that,and i agree.Who knows what the actual "next real bid" was in that auction.

The whole re-auction thing tho,that ProxyBid did,without notifying all the other previous auction bidders,sounds wierd.Why would they limit their auction audience for an item like this,especially if it's costing them $15,000 out of pocket to start?

I'm still confused why ProxyBid is responsible for ponying up the $15g due to a "stolen credit card" being registered to auction...how are they resposible for someone elses "criminal acts"?

I agree that it appears something weird was happening with why Proxibid agreed to pay $15k instead of offering it to the underbidder. However, if I remember correctly, the books with reserve were explained to be handled in the following manner. The reserve was considered an advanced bid. It was bid against the active bidder. I also seem to recall (I was there most of Sunday) that if the reserve "won" the auction, the seller was then given the option of accepting the active bidder's last bid, in lieu of not selling the books.

However, talking with the seller afterwards, I just don't recall what the reserve was for the Batman #1. I think it was the only book with a reserve that sold. When I saw the seller a week or two later, he had already been told that Proxibid was going to offer some price protection when the book was resold. I don't remember the amounts.