• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I must need glasses...

77 posts in this topic

48 is just down right "common" and quite honestly, shouldn't command anywhere near the prices it does (imo)

High-end collecting factors aside, Fantastic Four #48 is a bargain. There may be tons of them in VF and up, but that doesn't make it overpriced. FF 48 is the one issue of Fantastic Four that non-FF collectors all want for their collections.

This is very true. I sold an FF #48 CGC 9.8 here on the boards a few months ago. It was snapped up nearly immediately at $11K and sold for a profit (with my blessing) the same night.

I also had a PM and email list 4 (additional) buyers deep who would have taken the book in the blink of an eye, so I knew that I could have gotten more for the book and a few were not putting together FF runs, they just wanted that key.

Regardless of whether it is more common or not, it is a hot book!

interersting..maybe in 9.8 it is "hot" because there is obviously more demand than supply at that price...but in general, there is nothing "hot" about FF 48...a multitude of copies (litterally 100's) sat unsold day in and day out...if it was truly "hot", that would not be the case... of course, the same can be said about 49 and 50, always seems to be dozens and dozens of copies for sale...

I guess in this case, we have to differentiate based on grade (thumbs u

FF #48 is an icon of a book. For me it's 100X what #50 is.... When I first start collecting in the late 70's that issue was the be all end all as far as me and my comic buddies were concerned.

A must have for any silver age collector. Intro Surfer. Intro Galactus. Awesome storyline. What more can one ask for?

But I do understand the higher amount.. Damn brown covers... like the JIM #84.. they are a beach to get in HG....

Well the #48 in terms of story and importance is of course better than than FF #50, but the cover of FF #50 just kills #48 plus it almost impossible to find in HG.

FF #48 is by far the greatest book of the entire era. What other book comes close? The Silver Surfer? The Watcher? Galactus, the great alien who is going to destroy the entire earth?

I also personally really like the cover as well. It's got a gorgeous, warm, brown essence to it. Love the expressions on everyone's faces. Kirby was a master manipulator when it came to visuals. He pulled you into the action.

There is no contest.

I guess in this case, we have to differentiate based on grade (thumbs u

Correct. It's a hot book but there is enough supply so that most people can find a copy...until you get into the highest grades.

Which book from that era of FF books would you pit against FF #48 and have a viable argument as to being a comparable book (story and art, not just cover)?

FF #48 is by far the greatest book of the entire era. What other book comes close? The Silver Surfer? The Watcher? Galactus, the great alien who is going to destroy the entire earth?

I also personally really like the cover as well. It's got a gorgeous, warm, brown essence to it. Love the expressions on everyone's faces. Kirby was a master manipulator when it came to visuals. He pulled you into the action.

There is no contest.

+1. Nothing compares.

There is no contest.

+1. Nothing compares.

+2...the 48-50 arc is my favorite comic arc, ever, and it's the entire reason I started buying FF in the 80s and the reason I collect it now.

FF #48 is an icon of a book. For me it's 100X what #50 is.... When I first start collecting in the late 70's that issue was the be all end all as far as me and my comic buddies were concerned.

A must have for any silver age collector. Intro Surfer. Intro Galactus. Awesome storyline. What more can one ask for?

But I do understand the higher amount.. Damn brown covers... like the JIM #84.. they are a beach to get in HG....

Well the #48 in terms of story and importance is of course better than than FF #50, but the cover of FF #50 just kills #48 plus it almost impossible to find in HG.

There is no contest.

By era are you saying the SA?

FF 48-50 is one of the premiere arcs from the SA, but I wouldn't say it the best for me of that age. Probably the best for the Stan Lee / Jack Kirby FF run perhaps.

The comparison I was obviously pointing out was FF 48 is a common book in HG all day long while FF 49/50 are tough as nails in 9.0 or better.

Plus 49/50 are much better covers. :baiting:

Plus 49/50 are much better covers. :baiting:

Yeah, I know. In San Diego all that matters is how you look.

:baiting:

You just like to argue with me. :baiting:

Not saying the arc isn't cool/important for all three issues, but I am looking at cover appeal and toughness to find in nice condition.

#1. FF 49 Best Cover of the 3

#2. FF 50 Awesome Cover

All the way down here is the Spawn #1 of the SA for abundance in HG.

#3. Mr. FF #48.

It would be like comparing the cover of JIM #89 to JIM 83. Jim #83 is more important, but the cover of JIM #89 just puts that cover to shame.

I'd still rather have a JIM #83 for the content (with a wicked cover) than just a JIM #89 for the cover alone.

Kind of like choosing a sexy, smart and attractive woman over the young bimbette model.

All show and very little go.

I'd still rather have a JIM #83 for the content (with a wicked cover) than just a JIM #89 for the cover alone.

Kind of like choosing a sexy, smart and attractive woman over the young bimbette model.

All show and very little go.

Never been a big fan of JIM 83's cover actually.

JIM #89 cover is amazing and gives the origin of Thor, so I think that one is pretty important.

I don't compare comic covers to women, that's just weird. :eek:

I LOVE FF 48-50...gave rise to my favorite SA comic book character (and a real close second to Batman, overall!)...

that said, 48 has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more supply than demand...really can't be argued or debated...just goto any website (or all)...goto any Convention (or all)...there are ALWAYS more copies available than demand... that equals "not hot"... (maybe an exception in 9.8 )

doesn't diminish that it is a GREAT book, though

I LOVE FF 48-50...gave rise to my favorite SA comic book character (and a real close second to Batman, overall!)...

that said, 48 has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY more supply than demand...really can't be argued or debated...just goto any website (or all)...goto any Convention (or all)...there are ALWAYS more copies available than demand... that equals "not hot"... (maybe an exception in 9.8 )

doesn't diminish that it is a GREAT book, though

Great Book for sure, and very affordable in HG. (thumbs u

Gator, nobody is arguing supply (although demand is a different story).

FF #48 is just head and shoulders a better book over all.

no argument from me there, either... I was only responding to the "hot" comment :baiting:

no argument from me there, either... I was only responding to the "hot" comment :baiting:

It is a hot book though. Everyone loves the book. It's just a rare case where there is plenty of supply, but amazingly enough, much like Hulk #181 and ASM #129, even though there seems to be endless supply it's still a popular book and holds it's ground.

It is a hot book though. Everyone loves the book. It's just a rare case where there is plenty of supply, but amazingly enough, much like Hulk #181 and ASM #129, even though there seems to be endless supply it's still a popular book and holds it's ground.

Honestly Roy in the past 2 years of doing shows with Bob the FF #48 is hardly asked about compared to what you just mentioned above.

FF 49/50 are even way more inquired about, just saying from what I have seen anyway.

I would respectfully dissagree for several reasons...

1)by definition alone, where there is more supply than demand, the book can't be "hot" , if that implies more demand than supply, creating the "heat" or "friction" for the book...the "I better get a copy before it is too late and prices jump again" type feeling (and if anything, prices are cooling)

2)that would imply it was cool at one point, and truthfully, it has always experienced demand...but likely no more today than yesterday, and no more tomorrow...

3)"hot" is typically used in the comic world to designate a sudden explosion in demand or price, or both ,etc (see #2)...that has not happened...in fact, I can site triple digit examples (probably, maybe I am exaggerating a bit), of prices cooling off from past levels...

so, to sum up, the book has great demand, just as it always has, and just might always will, but the book is not "hot", as we think of "hot" in the comic collecting community