• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I must need glasses...

77 posts in this topic

....so, for those that don't know, I am a HUGE SS fan... I was watching tonights FF 50 with great interest..both the 9.6 and the 9.2... to me, they both looked virtually identical... yet, the 9.6 closed at 20K more... the rationale escapes me... 20K more for a "number"... sheesh...

congrats to whomever won it, but imo, they are a crazier person than I !

I was wondering if there was something i was missing ???

A 9.6 50 went for 8k more than a 9.8 48???

I need this explained to me. When did 50 become a MUCH more valuable book than 48?

in grade, it has been for some time...it is far scarcer in high grade, and 48 is just down right "common" and quite honestly, shouldn't command anywhere near the prices it does (imo)

I understand that but a 9.6 50 going THAT much more than a 9.8 48? I would have thought they were going to be pretty close, within 1-2k. almost 9k is pretty surprising to me
if I recall, a 9.4 #50 cleared 14K recently...they really haven't been close for a while...but, I generally do stay clear of anything over 5.0 lol

I understand that but a 9.6 50 going THAT much more than a 9.8 48? I would have thought they were going to be pretty close, within 1-2k. almost 9k is pretty surprising to me

You're not fully understanding it--what's surprising to me is that the spread wasn't even higher in favor of the #50, last summer when the millionaires were buying up all the Silver Marvels they could find this book would have hit $40K or more. This is the very first 9.6 copy of #50 that's ever been for sale at public auction since CGC opened its doors a decade ago, but multiple 9.8s of #48 have been up for sale, at least five, more I believe. There were a line of high grade FF collectors waiting on this one that haven't had to wait for a census-topping copy of #48.

#48 was a part of at least one, but more likely several, warehouse finds. It is absolutely one of the easiest to find Silver Age key books, it's just readily available in 9.x whenever you want a copy; that's not true at all of #49 or #50.

I knew 48 was pretty common but didnt realize 50 was that rare. I didnt know this one the 1st 9.6w 50 ever for auction.

That's pretty amazing! 28k now and last year maybe 40k for a FF 50. You would have never believed that in a million years back in my comic heydays in the early 90's.

I knew 48 was pretty common but didnt realize 50 was that rare. I didnt know this one the 1st 9.6w 50 ever for auction.

That's pretty amazing! 28k now and last year maybe 40k for a FF 50. You would have never believed that in a million years back in my comic heydays in the early 90's.

Considering that $40K got you the White Mountain AF 15 back in those days, and even then people thought that was an insane price, then yes, if you told anyone in the early 1990s that people would be willing to pay $28K for a FF 50, they would've thought that either you were insane or we would have to be in the grip of Weimar-type inflation and rolling around wheelbarrows of cash.

, if you told anyone in the early 1990s that people would be willing to pay $28K for a FF 50, they would've thought that either you were insane or we would have to be in the grip of Weimar-type inflation and rolling around wheelbarrows of cash.

hm Maybe we are just ahead of the curve.

Perhaps we'll be rolling wheelbarrows of slabs to the market for a loaf of bread.

Perhaps we'll be rolling wheelbarrows of slabs to the market for a loaf of bread.

Yep, my non-collector friends are constantly shocked at the prices realized, and lament about how you may pay enough for a book to buy yourself a nice car, but you can't drive a comic.

This is the main reason I stick with VF range books. As long as you don't fixate on numbers in the corner of the slab you still get a pretty book for a price that won't have you eating cat food for 6 months.

48 is just down right "common" and quite honestly, shouldn't command anywhere near the prices it does (imo)

High-end collecting factors aside, Fantastic Four #48 is a bargain. There may be tons of them in VF and up, but that doesn't make it overpriced. FF 48 is the one issue of Fantastic Four that non-FF collectors all want for their collections.

There's an arguement to be made that it's the perfect storm of comic collectibles. A while back, CBG readers took a poll; The greatest comic series ever was...Fantastic Four. Best writer, Stan Lee. Best artist, Jack Kirby. Best story, The Galactus Trilogy. This was not isolated to the silver age, this was all time. I think FF 48 is a very desirable comic, and will stay one for a while.

Oh, and FF 48 and 49 have better covers than 50! So there.

48 is just down right "common" and quite honestly, shouldn't command anywhere near the prices it does (imo)

FF 48 is the one issue of Fantastic Four that non-FF collectors all want for their collections.

I have to agree with both of these points. I am first and foremost a Spidey collector but the two FF books I would like to own someday are a nice FF #5 and #48.

High-end collecting factors aside, Fantastic Four #48 is a bargain. There may be tons of them in VF and up, but that doesn't make it overpriced. FF 48 is the one issue of Fantastic Four that non-FF collectors all want for their collections.

There's an arguement to be made that it's the perfect storm of comic collectibles. A while back, CBG readers took a poll; The greatest comic series ever was...Fantastic Four. Best writer, Stan Lee. Best artist, Jack Kirby. Best story, The Galactus Trilogy. This was not isolated to the silver age, this was all time. I think FF 48 is a very desirable comic, and will stay one for a while.

and see, I see it as just the opposite (at least on the high end)... supply, in the comics market, is a large factor in establishing demand and price, I think we can all agree on that basic concept...if the book is readily available (relative to demand), many collectors will turn their attention and focus on "higher" priority issues (maybe 49 and 50 in this case)... I myself have a nice 49 and 50, but have no 48 (I only collect surfer covers), and truthfully, have no desire to spend "money" on a 48 now, when I know that literally at anytime, I can pick one up in just about any grade I desire...

sure, as far as the average collector goes, demand will always keep ff 48 desirable...but even so, there seems to be more than enough supply to satisfy, and hence, I believe it is overvalued (in all grades)... just my 2c

I agree. FF48 could be bought anytime at the day. That 50 is so cool with Surfer on the cover and that darn full bleed brown cover . :cool:

Out of the 3 covers of the trilogy, I like 49 the best....but 50 is a close second, much better than the "Watcher wetting his pants" cover on 48. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u