• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Adventure Comics 349

9 posts in this topic

Question for you guys.. I'm still very new to this, but in the Overstreet grading guide, it states at the end of each grade's description: "Note: Certain defects are allowed if others are not present". I see that this book has the minor spine stress, the small tear on the right edge, the tiny blunt on the lower edge, and a couple of very light color break lines on the cover. Other than that, the corners are pretty perfect, and I don't see any defects. If I look at what a typical "6.0" book looks like, it's much worse than this. So what brings this down to a 6.0? If I were grading it, I would have been 7.0 (and debating even a 7.5), based on my understanding of the book. It even has examples of missing pieces or 1/4" spine splits in grades like VF/NM, as long as the rest of the book is in great condition. Where am I going wrong?

Thanks again- appreciate everyone's help

Look at he back cover. There seems to be quite a bit of stress down the spine. It also has some soiling. Look at the top edge by the spine. I see a stress line running down parrallel to the spine. I see alot of books like this. This may be from sitting in a box and being pinched between something else. You get a line pressed in the cover and it looks like a bit of a curl to the spine also as the seen on the top. B.C. is just too dirty to go higher for me.

DR.X

Let's say this was a 9.2 book and had maybe one stress line and one blunted corner.

Now, take your book. None of the corners are sharp, they are slightly blunted. There is also

page turning crease on the right edge. And I don't know what is in the white area next to

the word "unwanted", but now we are down to a 8.0.

I count 15 color breaking spine stress lines. Now the book is a 6.0/6.5.

The back cover is soiled and in the lower left it looks like a possible bend.

Hence the 6.0 at best I would give this book. CGC may even go 5.5??

All those spine stress lines alone bring the book to a 7.0 in my opinion.

I bet if you open this book and count the stress lines from the inside you will have

even more.