• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Signature Series Tale of Woe

126 posts in this topic

Come and listen to my story 'bout a book called Avengers #4...

------------------------

Aug 2010: Cracked out my Avengers #4 CGC 7.0 and had it signed by Stan Lee at the Toronto Fan Expo. Witnessed by Sharon from Desert Wind.

Same day: Sharon suggested that I could also get Joe Simon to sign it. She would be seeing Joe at NYCC in October. I paid Sharon for the Simon sig, and for the Express CGC service and shipping.

October 25: wrote to Sharon & Chandler to find out the status of my book. Sharon wrote back to say that CGC showed the book as "on hold". She wasn't sure if CGC had sent it back to them for signing by Simon at NYCC, or if it was somehow missed, but she'd investigate ASAP. Worst case, if Joe hadn't signed it at NYCC, they could get him to sign it next January.

October 27: wrote back to Sharon to let her know that I checked my credit card records, and Desert Wind had charged my card a week earlier for the signature, shipping and CGC fees. She replied to say that if my card was charged, then she was 99% certain it was signed. But she would check with CGC right away and get back to me.

October 28: I called CGC myself and verified that it was signed by Simon and was in the midst of being entered into the system for grading.

November 8: I called CGC to get the grade on my book and find out when it would ship to me. They said it received a 7.0 grade (same as before - yay!), but that the slab was sitting in their safe awaiting approval from Desert Wind to release it. I emailed Sharon to ask her to call/email CGC ASAP so they could ship it to me.

November 10: Two days later, Chandler wrote back to say that he was emailing Joe at CGC "right now" to tell him to release it.

November 17: I called CGC again. The book was still sitting in the safe. They said that no one from Desert Wind had contacted them, and the invoice showed Desert Wind's address as the shipping address. They needed Desert Wind to send them my shipping info. I said that the copy of the invoice that I had clearly had my shipping address on it, but they insisted that their invoice only had Desert Wind's info. (I assume when they entered the paper invoice info into the computer, they didn't enter my shipping address.)

November 17: After I got off the phone with CGC, I emailed Desert Wind to ask them once again to contact CGC and get them to release the book. I included my shipping info in the email.

November 17: Chandler wrote back within the hour and asked for my shipping info (!!) and said he would personally call CGC that afternoon and tell them to ship the book.

November 19: I called CGC. No one from Desert Wind had contacted them about the book. It's still sitting in the safe. Still waiting for Desert Wind to tell them to release it.

November 19: I wrote to Desert Wind again. This time I got their vacation "out of office" automated reply: "We will be gone from Nov. 18th through Nov. 28th. We will be unable to check e-mail or return phone calls until we return home."

I have no way of knowing who has or hasn't contacted whom, so I'm not picking sides. But regardless of who is at fault, balls have definitely been dropped. Repeatedly.

Sorry to hear that. SS books can take a long time to get back I've learned.

I have also had a book sit in CGC's vault for an extra two months or so. I am sure Chandler and Sharon did what they said but unfortunately you may need to wait for them to return from vacation.

1500 posts by Monday?

Sorry to hear that Andrew.

:foryou:

Well, at least I got to blow off some steam by posting here. lol

So much for the 5 day "Express" service, though.

Lets get a Canadian legal team together.

Maybe we can fix this before Desertwind gets home from vacay.

:sumo:

Seriously, I have no doubt you'll get your book.

:foryou:

Yeah, I have no doubt I'll get it, too. Eventually. That's not the point.

And I'll reiterate: I'm not pointing fingers at DW vs. CGC. I don't know what happened.

I run my own business, and so much of the success of the business is tied to our quality of service and accountability, so I get a bit pzzed in situations like this.

Have you tried sending them a copy of your invoice showing your shipping address?

I'll email a copy to Bree (sp?) this afternoon. Thanks, Jim. I'd give you a hug, but others might get jealous.

It's OK, you can have him.

Have you tried sending them a copy of your invoice showing your shipping address?

I'll email a copy to Bree (sp?) this afternoon. Thanks, Jim. I'd give you a hug, but others might get jealous.

I am not yours to give away. :sumo:

I am not yours to give away. :sumo:

Pffft. Shows what you know.