• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age One-Shots
1 1

97 posts in this topic

Cool idea for a thread!

There's a lot of one-shots from the GA. I suspect many companies were still searching for the right genre/title/idea. It's still a mystery to me why so many titles were started, but cancelled before they could tell whether it was selling or not. Maybe they knew it was DOA.

Here's an example of one - the only Timely one-shots that was truly a one-shot! Others, like Miss America Comics (Magazine) and Red Raven (Human Torch) that continued as another title, or Gay Comics where title was continued at a later date with a jump in numbering to #18.

TKS.jpg

Cool idea for a thread!

There's a lot of one-shots from the GA. I suspect many companies were still searching for the right genre/title/idea. It's still a mystery to me why so many titles were started, but cancelled before they could tell whether it was selling or not. Maybe they knew it was DOA.

Here's an example of one - the only Timely one-shots that was truly a one-shot! Others, like Miss America Comics (Magazine) and Red Raven (Human Torch) that continued as another title, or Gay Comics where title was continued at a later date with a jump in numbering to #18.

TKS.jpg

Cool books. I'm not a Timely expert so I have no clue but did Complete Comics and Amazing Comics migrate to other Timely titles?

I believe the chain stopped there from Amazing to Complete and that's it. I'll check Jim Vadeboncoeur's recent concordance of Timely titles.

it stopped at 2.

there are a buncha chesler one-shots; here's a group shot from my chesler run. sorry, but the 2 jests are in there, and tho' there is only one chesler capt battle, it is part of a 4 book run.

chesleroneshots.jpg

Cool books. I'm not a Timely expert so I have no clue but did Complete Comics and Amazing Comics migrate to other Timely titles?

Amazing Comics #1 became Complete Comics #2, which was the final issue. Not technically a one-shot run, but two "one-shot" titles.

Exquisitely rare one-shot.

:applause: That is a super tough book! Have been looking for a copy for a while, and have yet to see one for sale. If you ever decide to part with it, let me know. :shy:

Wowzers, Mr Butt ! (worship) Is that a reprint, or restuff of other comics inside?

Great book,

B

Harvey reprints - from the small size Pocket, Speed and Spitfire issues.

It's the digest-sized equivalent of Double Comics -- which was from the same publisher. Only the 2nd copy I've seen (the other was a FR at best). Jeff, have you seen another?

Cool idea for a thread!

TKS.jpg

Thank god for one shots, particularly in this case :sick:

It's the digest-sized equivalent of Double Comics -- which was from the same publisher. Only the 2nd copy I've seen (the other was a FR at best). Jeff, have you seen another?

Have never seen another. Very cool and rare book! :cloud9: You didn't happen to pick up the 2nd copy?

Cool idea for a thread!

TKS.jpg

Thank god for one shots, particularly in this case :sick:

too bad no zero-shot on that one, and this from a timely guy!